Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing something? [mod edit]

Comments

• RavrakSmithRavrakSmith Member UncommonPosts: 19
    If you don't like the game don't play it. I will gladly watch you leave:) For me the game is amazing. I wasn't so addicted in a long time. And i tried lots of MMO's. Peace.
  • OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

I found it funny a point of complaint is that his friends forgot to level up skills :). I'd chock that one up to cluelessness other than anything.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

I am starting to think it is the pace of the game. I was even kind of surprised that progression is slowed down in this instant gratification world.  Yes, I was above the level (By one) I should have been for the final mission on the Orc Island (Bethnik or something like that) but that was because I kind of wondered around the place finding hidden chest and runes. I also ran the final mission against the Bloodthorn Cult twice (Ran it, picked one side. Decided to abandon the quest and check the other decision.  Stayed with that. It is a beta, I was actually seeing if I could break the game by abandoning a quest that close to the end of it. ESO passed that test.) so my level is a bit inflated.

Back to the main point, ESO is slow. Much slower than WoW where you can buy a level 90 character or other MMO games that just throw levels at you. I just got to Daggerfall. I am level 7. I estimate I would be probably 3 to 5 levels higher in other MMO games.  

ESO has a slower pace of progression. Unfortunately, that means the people with less than perfect attention spans around here are not going to like it. It is not instant gratification. I really think it is too slow for some people.

Me? Perfect pace it is....

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I'm way beyond trying to change anyone's mind about this game: like it or don't it's all the same to me.

But this OP really stands out as a perfect example of barely scratching the surface of an MMO that takes time get the hang of. The one thing that keeps coming to mind whenever I play is how different from the WOW-formula themepark this game is in just about all respects. It definitely takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you re-learn how to do just about everything.

I bet a lot of people go into it  thinking "Sorcerer... ok, got it... light armor and a staff or 2"... "DK... heavy armor and melee weapons"....or my original archer build: Nightblade with medium armor.... It wasn't until yesterday that I figured out that my favorite archer is an Altmer Lightning Sorcerer wearing medium armor lol.

But hey, if you want to approach it like WOW, get frustrated it, dismiss it, and tell the world that it sucks, that's OK too... but its your loss.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31
    ESO for me. At 1st was very boring. But the more I played the more it grew on me. And I can say ESO as a beta is solid. But I agree with alot of what you guys are saying. and because of that, I'm having fun in the beta. But When I need to start paying $15 a month, I just dont think the game is worth that.

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by FearU

A couple of friends and I signed up for the beta this weekend to try out ESO. We've been seeing/hearing mixed but generally good things about the game and figured this would be a good opportunity to try before we buy especially given the high cost of it. Our experience with past Elder Scrolls games is mixed, personally I've played Oblivion and Skyrim but my friends range from not played at all to played a little bit.

As you probably see from the title we were left extremely disappointed. The setting is completely generic fantasy and certainly little different to Skyrim although probably far less interesting. The quests are the typical thing you find in MMOs these days and range from killing stuff to clicking a bunch of stuff or avoiding a bunch of stuff while clicking other stuff. The game seems to bring very little innovation to the table and we were bored within a couple of hours.

The menu systems really need some work as well. It took 15 minutes and some googling just to find each other and group up. We would know where to find it next time (there won't be a next time so no worries) but to say the menu system is unintuitive is an understatement.

The skills and abilities system is one of the most generic offerings I've seen in a while. It consists of leveling up, clicking a plus, get some new skill. That's if you remember to do so, 2 of our party forgot about it and spent the first couple of hours spamming 1 and clicking their mouse!

Combat is fairly interesting in that its one of the worse examples I've seen in recent times. It used to be that people screamed "console port!" when confronted with lackluster controls and dumbed down skills, that feeling is written all over this game as well. Its certainly not the worst example but its far from ideal on a PC.

None of us can justify the up front cost + sub on this game when there are far better games already in our libraries and the same generic MMOs on offer that are f2p. I don't understand the hype/positivity surrounding ESO, the only thing I can put it down to is a desire to play a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game from people who love the franchise. ESO will be a definite miss within my group of friends at least.

What an interesting post from someone who plays Final Fantasy XIV

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    OP you aren't missing anything. Zenimax's hype machine is working really well right now. As we have seen in the past, hype leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering. Get your popcorn ready and enjoy the show :)

The Zenimax hype machine?  This has been one of the quietest MMO marketing and PR campaigns I have ever seen, especially for a big name MMO. 

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

The game is well made and has minimal bugs. Problem is it's boring. It may just be me, and I only got to level 13, but I just really was not having fun. Like, at all. 

Then again, I'm having a blast playing SWTOR, and the consensus on this forum is that somehow it is a failure. So maybe game is great and I'm just weird.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• adamch29adamch29 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Furthermore the game is focused on AV3 PVP. That's their selling point, the thing they feel makes it unique and buy worthy. The other stuff is kind of window dressing for that admitted or not. If you didn't play that aspect of the game then you missed the boat. If AV3 PVP isn't your cup of tea then you might not should be looking at it to begin with.

Would someone care to explain what AV3 PVP is? I did a google search and this thread was the only thing that came up with that term. Obviously he's abreviating something (I hate that unless it's something most people are familiar with). Oh and I know what PVP means, just not sure about the AV3.

I'm playing the beta and think the PVE storyline is good. I haven't seen any PVP, or been introduced in any way, but only at level 6. 

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Honestly i played for about a day before getting bored. the game just didnt feel right to me. i tried to give it a chance like i do with all games. Hell im still playing GW2 off and on and i bitched about that game for months. but ESO, i donno, i just really dont like it. The combat felt choppy and clunky, and while i hate the "you are the chosen one" system. Atleast when you instance the story based things the Emmersion tends do hold you. I really annoyed me doing a story mission and being talked to like im the chosen one when the person beside me is having the same conversation as the chosen one. I not a massive fan of instancing however i allways find its a must for story quests.

All and all i think ESO is good but not worth the price of admition to me.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Malevil
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It takes at least 20 hours of trying...(and not of complaining) ... to find out what any MMORPG is about..

How many hours did you play OP?

(took about ten hours before the game pulled me in and never let me go)

And then on top of that.... its not everyones game... combat is not flashy but very tactical..  You cant get access to PvP untill you played like 15 hours and got to level 10... there is much to explore and enjoy, but then you need to choose your won path..

Man, do you have enough lifetime (real one) to try all the things that didnt impress you at start and give them 20hours - almost 1 day ? I don't.

Same. If they don't impress me in 2-3 hours, no way I'm spending 20 hours to find some fun. 

• GinsanaGinsana Member CommonPosts: 18

I could not agree more.  I really do wonder if the beta testers were simply ignored or if they were all too blinded by their enthusiasm for an Elderscrolls MMO to see the world as an outsider will.

I played Daggrfall back in the day, It was my second favorite game of all time, and was thrilled to try this out.  Unfortunatly  the obtuse and sometimes downright obstructive UI is the nail in the games coffin for me.  It simply can not be overstated how bad it it and how significantly it effects every aspect of game play.  It will indeed take non-skyrim players many many hours to feel comfortable with the ui and combat.  Would it be worth it?  I don't think most of them will stay to find out.  The first few hours are crucial and if the games fails there it really don't have much of a chance.

I keep logging in to try it again.  I really really want to love this game but it's just so damn frustrating to play.  Sad.  

Also on some view distance settings the game is making people motion sick.  You can fix this but the game sometimes snaps the view distance back to the sickening one and before i know it i have to step away from the monitor pretty quick and go do something else till the motion sickness feeling goes away.  Just an FYI if your prone to motion sickness.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Arthasm

It takes at least 20 hours of trying...(and not of complaining) ... to find out what any MMORPG is about..

And then on top of that.... its not everyones game... combat is not flashy but very tactical..  You cant get access to PvP untill you played like 15 hours and got to level 10... there is much to explore and enjoy, but then you need to choose your won path..

Man, do you have enough lifetime (real one) to try all the things that didnt impress you at start and give them 20hours - almost 1 day ? I don't.

Same. If they don't impress me in 2-3 hours, no way I'm spending 20 hours to find some fun. 

And that would be exactly why 99% of themeparks feel just like WOW: so you don't need to spend extra time learning how to play it.

WOW in a new setting with a couple little twists that are really easy to grasp is what most of them are like. This one isn't. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Iselin

I'm way beyond trying to change anyone's mind about this game: like it or don't it's all the same to me.

But this OP really stands out as a perfect example of barely scratching the surface of an MMO that takes time get the hang of. The one thing that keeps coming to mind whenever I play is how different from the WOW-formula themepark this game is in just about all respects. It definitely takes you out of your comfort zone and makes you re-learn how to do just about everything.

I bet a lot of people go into it  thinking "Sorcerer... ok, got it... light armor and a staff or 2"... "DK... heavy armor and melee weapons"....or my original archer build: Nightblade with medium armor.... It wasn't until yesterday that I figured out that my favorite archer is an Altmer Lightning Sorcerer wearing medium armor lol.

But hey, if you want to approach it like WOW, get frustrated it, dismiss it, and tell the world that it sucks, that's OK too... but its your loss.

I still play WOW a lot. I had a chance to play Wildstar beta last weekend, which should be catering to my playstyle, but I did not like it at all.  Stopped playing after a few hours.

This weekend I got to try ESO for the first time. And I like it. It will be a very nice offset to my WOW playing style (lots of min-maxing, raiding etc). In this game I will take my time and explore every hook and cranny. I even like the hated starter island! I am not a pvp-er but I used to love DAOC faction pvp, so I hope I will like it in ESO as well. 

Off I go to play again image

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Ginsana

I could not agree more.  I really do wonder if the beta testers were simply ignored or if they were all too blinded by their enthusiasm for an Elderscrolls MMO to see the world as an outsider will.

I played Daggrfall back in the day, It was my second favorite game of all time, and was thrilled to try this out.  Unfortunatly  the obtuse and sometimes downright obstructive UI is the nail in the games coffin for me.  It simply can not be overstated how bad it it and how significantly it effects every aspect of game play.  It will indeed take non-skyrim players many many hours to feel comfortable with the ui and combat.  Would it be worth it?  I don't think most of them will stay to find out.  The first few hours are crucial and if the games fails there it really don't have much of a chance.

I keep logging in to try it again.  I really really want to love this game but it's just so damn frustrating to play.  Sad.  

Also on some view distance settings the game is making people motion sick.  You can fix this but the game sometimes snaps the view distance back to the sickening one and before i know it i have to step away from the monitor pretty quick and go do something else till the motion sickness feeling goes away.  Just an FYI if your prone to motion sickness.

The UI is the same as Oblivion and Skyrim. I'm not sure where you are going with this. If you went past Daggerfall you would probably have stopped at Morrowind because it is basically the same throughout the rest of the series. It won't take Skyrim players any hours to feel comfortable with the UI and Combat because it is the same.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by SuperNick
    People didn't judge the entirety of WoW on Durotar, why do they do it with ESO?

Wow has a fantastic game introduction and tutorial.  New players to MMO's are made to feel at home and welcome right from the get go.  It's so so important and ESO has so so failed in this respect.

Originally posted by Amjoco

The UI is the same as Oblivion and Skyrim. I'm not sure where you are going with this. If you went past Daggerfall you would probably have stopped at Morrowind because it is basically the same throughout the rest of the series. It won't take Skyrim players any hours to feel comfortable with the UI and Combat because it is the same.

I think you are right about this it's just that i assumed this game was trying to pull in MMORPG players not just players of skyrim and Oblivion?  The game really is trying to merge two player groups i think.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Don't know how the game is later on, but its absolutely a bore to play so far. Its foolish to expect someone to believe the game gets better. I fear this game is going to lose many people due to the boring start. It may be the best game in the world past a certain point, but not many people will have the zeal, addiction, or blind fanboism that a few of you have. You're only hurting the prospects of the game by not admitting this.
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    People didn't judge the entirety of WoW on Durotar, why do they do it with ESO?

Wow has a fantastic game introduction and tutorial.  New players to MMO's are made to feel at home and welcome right from the get go.  It's so so important and ESO has so so failed in this respect.

Huh? You get a cutscene in WoW and then you go kill pigs and scorpions. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• whatacanhedowhatacanhedo Member Posts: 2

My thoughts exactly! image

Never in my life have I hated everything about a game as much as I do with ESO, I'm so disappointed. image

200 million dollars & no mini map,constantly clicking "M". Characters clumsy movement, boring combat, hated the "Q" quick slot, why not have the option to drag items to a hot bar?  29 gigabytes of data for for such a mediocre looking game. It must be the great music that takes up all that space. image

I don't know what's worse ESO, Machete Kills or the new Riddick movie!

I think you are right about this it's just that i assumed this game was trying to pull in MMORPG players not just players of skyrim and Oblivion?  The game really is trying to merge two player groups i think.

Well other games have a basic setup. Tera and Dragon's Nest basically have the same type of combat system and it works really well as an mmorpg.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Arthasm

Exactly.  A lot of dev studios, not all but a lot know that first impressions and hooks go along way when it comes to games in general.  Most of us know that  MMOs aren't going to give you every ability and show you everything about the game in the first few hours of gameplay with a new character.  However, it's the devs' responsibility (it really does behoove them) to make the game interesting from the get go.  If the game doesn't grab the player and make it interesting for him/her then they are just not going to play.  Maybe what Bachus says is true about how long it takes to get into the game, but that doesn't mean that people are willing or want to give it that much time to find out.  Why should they when other games they previously played in the past grabbed them from the get go as being fun? 

If the game really does take 10 to 20 hours to get into, then I hope for the game's sake that they put a free trial in at least a few months after launch to give people that chance without risking of dropping $50 on a game that may or may not grab them after 10-20 hours.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I'm getting too old for fantasy themeparks I guess.

The game has high quality and will be successful but I have moved onto sandbox MMOs.

For themeparks only TSW still holds my attention and AoC blood and glory

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

So let me get this straight:

You and you're freinds (who range from moderately disliking the Elder Scrolls IP, to having zero interest in the games) decided to pick up Elder Scrolls Online! Because other people are liking the game.

Logging into the beta you find that it not only behaves like other Elder Scrolls games, but also behaves like an MMO. Naturally, once comfirming that it indeed plays like the franchise you guys already know you don't really care much for, you decide it's important to hop onto the internets and get the word out! So that other people who dislike the Elder Scrolls games, but for some reason still think it's a good idea to play the MMO, can avoid being fooled by the masses!

OP, you're a true patriot, and i thank you for informing us, that if we do not like Elder Scrolls; It might not be a good idea to play Elder Scrolls the MMO. You have just saved years of my life. Thank you.

• HermodHermod Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Ender4

Why in the heck would it shame to you that someone would buy what they like? I'm not into going to a brothel and buying a hooker, but I'm not ashamed others do. They enjoy it.. 

I didn't like playing Defiance, but I wasn't ashamed my son and daughter in law liked it. What is even better, I didn't go on the Defiance forum and tell others it was a shame they bought it.

It is a shame because then the next game that comes out will be just as awful as this one. If people didn't buy these horrible paint by numbers theme park games maybe we would have some MMORPG actually worth playing for once instead of 8+ years of just awful releases.

ESO and WildStar are a pox on the genre and hopefully they both fail miserably so nobody else makes another MMORPG like this one.

Why do you want them to fail? Are you just wanting all the suits to walk away for MMOs with their money, then watch the whole MMO gene die out.

The more games that die, the less AAA there will be.