Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character movement.

Third person movement seems a little frustrating having to use the mouse to turn around.  Can this be changed?  If so I cant seem to find the option.  Most mmos you can use your arrow keys to turn around in.  Also your character seems to stay to the left of the screen in third person.  Was wondering if this could be changed as well.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Yes, I noticed the same things, suspect it's just something we're going to have to get used to.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Ragestride
    Third person movement seems a little frustrating having to use the mouse to turn around.  Can this be changed?  If so I cant seem to find the option.  Most mmos you can use your arrow keys to turn around in.  Also your character seems to stay to the left of the screen in third person.  Was wondering if this could be changed as well.

It's unlikely going to change, sorry.

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139
    I've always used the mouse to look around, usually both mouse buttons to run and right click and hold to look around and keyboard for skills/spells. I'm finding it hard going back to keyboard movement.
  • ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68

i've always used my mouse to turn never the direction keys, for me that would just slow down the gameplay having to use the mouse button to run use direction keys to turn camera and then use the 1-9 ( or in this case 1-5) numkey's.

but i guess it's a preference

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Keyboard turning is horribly inefficient. You should try to adjust honestly. Not hating on you but especially if you plan to pvp at all keyboard turning is too slow to be effective. It's designed with more of a first person action type combat so I don't see them changing it.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    This system has worked great in the ES games. If you have played any of them this is pretty standard. If you don't like the way it is then you probably didn't like Oblivion or Skyrim if you played them. As I said in another post, this system is what made ES games what they are because of the first person view for PvE. If you don't like first person zoom out. /shrug  If they made it different, it wouldn't be different.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

Spent 5 mins with the mouse movement and turned off the game. Deal breaker for me.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Spent 5 mins with the mouse movement and turned off the game. Deal breaker for me.

lol, starting to annoy me as well not to mention the random freezing which I know is a bug, but it's bugging me/

OK I finally got tempted to try this beta (10% downloaded so far) then I read this thread.

So that I can make a decision about weather or not to continue the download if I am in First Person View can I use the arrow keys to move (forward, back, turn left, turn right) or must I use the mouse?

Originally posted by craftseeker

lol, starting to annoy me as well not to mention the random freezing which I know is a bug, but it's bugging me/

OK I finally got tempted to try this beta (10% downloaded so far) then I read this thread.

So that I can make a decision about weather or not to continue the download if I am in First Person View can I use the arrow keys to move (forward, back, turn left, turn right) or must I use the mouse?

You can use a combination of them just like other action games like Tera. Don't let these guys throw you off, it isn't a big deal what so ever. I'm 54 years old and if I can adapt than most people should be able to take more than 5 minutes to try and adjust to it. No, it's not WoW or Rift, but it is very doable! 

These people are playing just fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu91ZlamXiE&list=UU1WQszl8_NzDdmP-Gc8neCA&feature=c4-overview

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Amjoco

You can use a combination of them just like other action games like Tera. Don't let these guys throw you off, it isn't a big deal what so ever. I'm 54 years old and if I can adapt than most people should be able to take more than 5 minutes to try and adjust to it. No, it's not WoW or Rift, but it is very doable! 

Thanks youngster, the kiddies had me worried.

Download continues.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

It is like an FPS. You aim with your mouse regardless of 1st or 3rd. You hit with left, block with right and use the W S for forward and backward and the A D for moving left or right, not turning. You have to use the mouse to turn. When in combat, you have to aim at least close to your target with the mouse.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

Thanks youngster, the kiddies had me worried.

Download continues.

Haha! You could be my older brother. Watch the link I posted above for something to do during the download. Have fun Sir.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Zooming out will center your character. I can't help you with the movement. Oh and i use my mouse wheel to zoom in and out.
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

Yeah, this honestly isn't much of an issue for me at least. I have learned to stop keyboard turning many years ago. In PvP it is pretty much a must to turn with a mouse if you want to do your very best.

Same goes with keybinds instead of clicking the spells/abilities.

As for the camera and character being to the left. I think it is somewhat needed in an action game like this, allows you to see your target easier....especially since you have to *sort of* aim.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    This system has worked great in the ES games. If you have played any of them this is pretty standard. If you don't like the way it is then you probably didn't like Oblivion or Skyrim if you played them. As I said in another post, this system is what made ES games what they are because of the first person view for PvE. If you don't like first person zoom out. /shrug  If they made it different, it wouldn't be different.

Yes but you gotta understand that ESO in a mmorpg and we are gonna pick this game apart to find something wrong with it. Especially if the game is good then you are gonna meat alot of haters on this site.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    i cant even rember the last game i played where i used the keyboards key for turning, its pretty much been standard for a long time tnow to turn with mouse, so i have to ask why are there so many people who seem to be haveing issue with what is standard prcatice for a long time now.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Originally posted by Squeak69
    i cant even rember the last game i played where i used the keyboards key for turning, its pretty much been standard for a long time tnow to turn with mouse, so i have to ask why are there so many people who seem to be haveing issue with what is standard prcatice for a long time now.

As someone said above, they just like to complain and pick things apart for some reason.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Best part in the mouse turning option is that compared to other mmorpgs there is no need to click a mouse button also to use it to turn, just move it. With the other mmorpgs you had to right lick to move the camera etc not in this game.

It is more like point the mouse in 1 direction and you are looking in that direction

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Squeak69

As someone said above, they just like to complain and pick things apart for some reason.

in most mmos i play i use a combo of direction + mouse to move my toons. running while holding down the left mouse to turn that way. My problem comes when i have to move with direction while moving mouse to "target". It causes me to get headaches and upset stomach. It makes me feel like my eyes are being pulled in two different direction. So like i said. It only took me 5 mins to know this is a deal breaker for ME.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    What's odd about the control system is in most games I right-click to free look or target, and left click to do something else like move forward.

I am constantly either blocking or attacking in this game for no reason, and I've had this issue with other titles such as Skyrim.

Just something I'm going to have to get used to, like using the E key to interact with things. (Its G for Get, everyone knows that) Alt for escape or exit, who came up with that idea?

Oh well, when in Rome...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon