Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Geforce 770 upgrade help

AziruAziru Member UncommonPosts: 8

Hello guys!

Im looking into upgrading my 460 sli setup to 770 gtx. The question i have to people is how well the 770 plays most mmorpgs atm. I want to have this card for 4+ years just as i had my 460 sli setup. Another question is should i buy the 2g version or 4g version. Since it is only 40$ more on newegg.com. Any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    For gaming purposes, the only real difference that more than about 1 GB of video memory makes is that it lets you use higher resolution textures.  And that's only in games that have very high resolution textures available for you to use, which most don't.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Only time I felt limited at 1GB is in Skyrim using the High Resolution Texture pack. I think memory also makes a difference with Resolution, but that's more along the lines of low and mid-tier video cards that have under 256MB of memory.

If you are looking at a $40 difference in a card for double the memory, I would always check what kind of memory. A common practice was to load cards with twice as much DDR3 even though its useless compared to half as much GDDR5 because of the massive bandwidth difference. If they are the same memory, than I would go for it considering its a 10% increase in price.

On your actual question, MMOs will never push your graphics chip. If it did the mmo design failed. MMOs by their nature are designed around the lowest common denominator in order to attract more customers. They might make decisions that cater to niches, but this is never graphics as most mmo players tend not to care about graphics when compared to gameplay. So should you decide to get a $400 GPU for mmos? Your priorities are not straight. You can max most mmos using the integrated graphics on a modern APU.

Note I don't consider MOBA type games MMOs.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

A GeForce GTX 770 will have GDDR5.  It's only the lower end cards that sometimes have a DDR3 version.

MMORPGs won't require high end video cards in order to play, but they can offer optional graphical features that put a heavy load on the video card.

• AziruAziru Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I understand that MMORPGs arent video card intensive, but my girlfriend is buying this for me. So i cant really stop her, just wanted to know others opinions before i got something