Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually ROLEPLAY anymore?

Comments

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Telil

most people dont roleplay due to Voice systems.

Years ago you had to type to speak and this meant people could roleplay while playing games. These days if you try to roleplay your wife will probably look across the room at you thinking you have gone mad.

I really do dislike voice systems in fantasy MMo's. it spolis the immersivness for me.

In Dark Age of Camelot, very few of us were using Ventrillo and Teamspeak type programs.  Yet, 300 man pvp raids were the norm, and 8 man vs 8 man vs 8 man teams of open world pvp was a non stop fun fest.  We could type quickly, we were mostly well educated, and the era of TEXT TALK leet speak - had not yet reared it's hideous head.

Remember, when mmoRPGs first came out, they already appealed to a niche audience.  That niche audience was the leftover of pen and paper dice gamers from the Dungeons and Dragons, et al., era.  We could RP our asses off and be completely inebriated to boot (this was great for Dwarf players).  We could visualize quite a bit then as well, and come up with actual RP names that didn't have the word, Legolas in the name, or some witty sexual reference.

This was a different time, of an age undreamed of...and no, definitely not referring to the debacle of Age of Where is Conan?

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    I roleplay my ass off even in games that don't call for it. For example, I roleplay in LoL.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

You can't google exact guides on roleplay, so nobody does it anymore :-) It needs creativity and imagination. Not just a follow the herd/copy the leader attitude.

1. There's simply no space for it, every time wasting feature of modern games is removed for convenience (we have group/dungeon finders, instant adventure/quest systems etc).

2. There's no need for it to get anything. When's the last time you had to do a decent acting to get gear ? There were fun times when some unusual and elaborate begging could net you help from complete strangers just because of the performance.

3. RP does not match instant gratification attitude.

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    The decline of roleplay in rpgs is the fault of the role players, not those who have no interest in it.

I am all for it, but in the post ten years the Role play communities in every mmo I have played caused me to avoid them like the plague. 8 out of ten "role players" have ridiculously over the top back stories, often involving being at least part vampire, part demi-god...or both....even when said back story makes no sense in the game's lore. The other 2 in ten thinks Role play means cyber sex...

Obviously I am exaggerating a little, but the fact is I avoid roleplay in online games because most of the people who role play in them are horribly bad at doing it, completely over the top such that it ruins immersion, or only interested in cyber sex...the roleplay community itself killed role-playing.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    From what i have seen on most mmos RP has turned in to ERP. when i ask for a RP guild i end up getting 4-7 offers for ERP guilds. I do miss the days of UO where i could RP all day long while lvling it was fun and a great way to kill stress

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I love roleplaying In MMO's but its just rarely ever supported.

The last MMO i remember some form of roleplay support in was World of warcraft.

Theres never any roleplaying servers so we're forced to start roleplaying guilds, they have trouble being found and slowly decay over time just to vanish.

Without support roleplay will always be an incredibly hard to find minority of the playerbase.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by Graylen

I love roleplaying In MMO's but its just rarely ever supported.

The last MMO i remember some form of roleplay support in was World of warcraft.

Theres never any roleplaying servers so we're forced to start roleplaying guilds, they have trouble being found and slowly decay over time just to vanish.

Without support roleplay will always be an incredibly hard to find minority of the playerbase.

Actually most RP websights will get togeather and vote on a server as the "unofficial server" for RP GW2 is tarnished coast and piken square (TC=NA PS=EU)

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Some people take their role play very seriously...

Oh wow, at first I thought that must've been SWG, since it certainly didn't look like SWTOR - and then I noticed at the top of the page... "Star Wars Roleplay News in Second Lifeimage

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 385
    I've never had much luck RPing in MMOs. Probably the reason I've been playing text games for as long as I have. I lose something when I can see what's happening, rather than when I'm forced to imagine it.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by KeepInGates

I know what you're talking about. I remember not but a few years ago, I was an Imperial Stormtrooper, searching cantina patrons for contraband on mos eiesly. (Starsider, btw.)

I think it's Kids these days, bro. Their minds have been boggled down by the crap Tv shows, movies, and video games that seem to qualify as "Good writing".  Because of this, they don't know how to come up with a good story.

That's just my opinion. But it also could be that people are too lazy nowadays. Or find it "Uncool".

Don't you think it's because this genre has become incredible limited as in just being a online combat game with some progression feature's?. There isn't much freedom to do what you want unless it involves combat.

For me the old provided me with allot of different playstyle's put into a MMORPG. Which in turn gave allot more "roleplay" oppertunity's.

• EST1992EST1992 Member Posts: 1

I'm young (late-teenage years, early twenties over here) and I gotta say from what I've heard from all of the older RPers I've met in my time roleplaying I wish I was around for it back then. I don't even mean on MMOs, either. I started roleplaying at like thirteen? That was on e-feds, then I switched over to forum based roleplaying and around fifteen I was involved in SA-MP's RP world. I'm one of those who adds a level of RP no matter what game it is. I can't help it, and I don't frown at it because that's what I find enjoyable. I play Most Wanted when I'm pretty bored and even on there I'll drive at low speeds and act like I'm going to get something to eat. Then if I'm on Skyrim I don't even focus on what the game wants me to do I just explore and do things my character would do. Recently, I was invited to WoW. A friend from SA-MP rp servers (which is GTA San Andreas multiplayer for those who don't know) was going on and on about how much fun she has on these WoW servers. So I do some homework on it and after reading all the things I've read about it on Google, I don't even wanna give it a try. I would like to roleplay in some fantasy setting with mature RPers but I guess those don't exist. I think everyone in this thread for letting me know that even trying to roleplay on MMORPGs is a terrible experience. You really saved me from wasting my time. I guess I'll stick to LS-RP on SAMP lol. It may have a real life setting with gangs, cops, organized crime, drug dealers and serial killers but at least there is in-depth roleplay there with character development, rules against non rp names, metagame, powergame, etc. Again, thank you all for saving me my time.

HOWEVER, seeing as how a lot of the people who have posted in this thread seem to be hardcore roleplayers please give me some suggestions. I wouldn't mind even roleplaying with y'all in whatever games you happen to be playing. As long as the rp is good! Not no half ass RP with rpers who typ lyk dis n only want 2 troll n esex while they wank.

Sorry for whatever grammar mistakes to whatever grammar nazis they would/do concern.. This seems like a passive forum and I don't think grade-A English matters here.

• R2DaniR2Dani Member Posts: 3

I tried to RP in WoW for a little while, but no one seemed to understand why my mage was going on about death being the only thing that seemed to grant her magical knowledge. I mean, if I'm in a game, and somehow killing boars makes me wiser, you're damned right my character's going to say something!

And the next time I tried it, I drove myself crazy saying everything in the Trollish accent...

I do the bulk of my roleplaying in person or on IRC, where I've been in a game for almost four years now. I don't think I've been really inspired to RP in an MMO since I played Lord of the Rings Online way-back...

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Some people take their role play very seriously...

Oh wow, at first I thought that must've been SWG, since it certainly didn't look like SWTOR - and then I noticed at the top of the page... "Star Wars Roleplay News in Second Lifeimage

I actually had some crazy RP experiences in SWTOR. Their RP site is way more active than the one linked above.

http://www.swtor-rp.com/

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

My wife still RPs, shes in FF14 right now.  She mainly plays male characters now, since thats the easiest way to avoid the "r u a girl irl" or "want to cyber?" whispers that she used to get.

I tried it back in the Neverwinter days on a private server, wasnt for me.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    My RPing ends at giving my characters a setting appropriate name. Although I do sometimes give my characters silly names.
  • skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by Derros

My wife still RPs, shes in FF14 right now.  She mainly plays male characters now, since thats the easiest way to avoid the "r u a girl irl" or "want to cyber?" whispers that she used to get.

I tried it back in the Neverwinter days on a private server, wasnt for me.

Tell your Wife this isn't the 90s anymore. I have played tons of male & female characters for years and i am yet to get a "r u a girl irl" message. The only time i got a Erotic whisper on a female character was when i wandered into an ongoing ERP in GW2 which was obviously to be expected.

• ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by KeepInGates

I know what you're talking about. I remember not but a few years ago, I was an Imperial Stormtrooper, searching cantina patrons for contraband on mos eiesly. (Starsider, btw.)

I think it's Kids these days, bro. Their minds have been boggled down by the crap Tv shows, movies, and video games that seem to qualify as "Good writing".  Because of this, they don't know how to come up with a good story.

That's just my opinion. But it also could be that people are too lazy nowadays. Or find it "Uncool".

Another thing that's wrong with people, just blindly say things like "the kids these days " tss.

And rp is like a fetish some people are into it others are not. i'm not into it, if i wanted to praise the lord would be christian, as a player i find every other player equall and not lord-titel-worthy. but then again that's personal.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    My good dark elf doesn't get frowned upon in EQ2 even on a roleplay server so it's safe to say that people do not roleplay as much as they used to. I put this down to MMORPGs becoming more mainstream and it's not just the pale nerds who play anymore.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

Yes people roleplay often, but usually not in public now that MMORPG's have attracted less-than supportive players as well. They typically keep it in private chat and/or their guild forums.

WildStar will actually have a roleplay chat option that allows players to ONLY see roleplay chat, see BOTH or ignore it completely.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    I'm a Pocamon
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    ArcheAge and EQN will be the future of roleplay, mark my words.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by SwampDragons
    I'm a Pocamon

Is that a small species of creatures kept as pets that are forced to live in cramped living spaces and force to periodically fight because of their aggressive natures?  Oh, and do they all look like one aspect of Pocahontas?  Like one is an eyebrow, one is a nose, one is an eyeball, etc.?  Or do they all look like Pocky candy?

Anyway, I am literally of two minds about role playing.  While I'm playing, one part of my mind is running in "role play" mode, working out what the avatar is thinking, why they are doing what they are doing, etc.  Another part of my mind is running the "game play" mode, where I'm working out all the numbers.  What is it like for a Blood Elf Hunter to see Panderia for the first time in parallel with whether or not I'll get through more than one combat rotation before this mob dies.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

i suppose when you play any game online your roleplaying anyway. you dont play yourself, your playing a characer you rolled up. when people talk to you in game, do they address you by your real name or by the name of a character you are playing?

(would you talk to people like some bucketmouths do in chat if they knew your real name?)

you respond as your character, not as yourself - so rp is still there to a small measure. if you say you dont roll play in games, do you create characters that look identical to yourself and give them your name and do things you would do irl instead of jumping off cliffs and going up to people who you've never seen before and hitting them over the head for no reason? you play rolls in games even if you say you dont. you might not go to the extremes that some people do but there's nowt wrong with them thowing in the odd "bows deeply" etc. in chat, although these days emotes take over from the chat actions.

it's good to see the occasional old fashioned roll player around still, kind of reminds people where the games come from and helps the imagination to keep growing

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454
    One of the reasons I play EVE Online is that the RP comes natural even when people are not actually RP:ing. It's truly something else.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan