Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Siege question

I haven't been able to try out the RvRvR pvp in ESO yet, but I was wondering about the viability of melee characters in big siege fights.

In many games that have large scale pvp, melee characters are often near-useless in the big fights, where much of the combat revolves around using ranged weapons / magic and hanging back at max range.  People who charge in at melee range, even in a coordinated fashion often get smoked very fast.

I prefer playing melee characters, but I'm a huge fan of DAoC / GW2 style RvRvR pvp.  Will I be doing myself a disservice playing a melee character in ESO?

Just wondering what your experiences have been with the large pvp battles, especially if you're a melee character.  Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Comments

• darthblazedarthblaze Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Gallus85

I haven't been able to try out the RvRvR pvp in ESO yet, but I was wondering about the viability of melee characters in big siege fights.

In many games that have large scale pvp, melee characters are often near-useless in the big fights, where much of the combat revolves around using ranged weapons / magic and hanging back at max range.  People who charge in at melee range, even in a coordinated fashion often get smoked very fast.

I prefer playing melee characters, but I'm a huge fan of DAoC / GW2 style RvRvR pvp.  Will I be doing myself a disservice playing a melee character in ESO?

Just wondering what your experiences have been with the large pvp battles, especially if you're a melee character.  Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Well i would agree there is some patience involved, For keep pvp, your either on the walls using siege equipment waiting for them to break through, or zerging around them attacking their siege on the ground.

Or if your attacking a keep, your pretty much defending your siege equipment from melee zergs or groups, or using siege equipment to attack... Other then that in the open pvp world, i find melee very good..

• CeldrynCeldryn Member Posts: 84

Depending on how you flesh out your character (armor type/skills) it can be a ton of fun. I've been playing Melee for the past 4 betas in pvp.  I have a Sorc, using a 2 handed sword and I am focusing on melee/short ranged attacks. You can do WORK on anyone who gets in close.  

If they try to run away you can close the gap pretty quickly on them with some of the 2 hander talents.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Well that sounds like sieges could still be fun for melee characters.  As long as melee is a viable part of them I think I'll just stick with making my first character a melee type.

I was worried that on sieges you'd only be useful as a ranged type character.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Not from what I've seen so far in the game.  Plus side...there is always some poor fool who falls off the ramparts just waiting to be devoured ;)
  • darthblazedarthblaze Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Celdryn
    Not from what I've seen so far in the game.  Plus side...there is always some poor fool who falls off the ramparts just waiting to be devoured ;)

Don't forget, go dragon knight and pull them off the walls = p

• SmarnyPeteSmarnyPete Member Posts: 69

Yes, if you are in an organized group and attacking the keep move behind the keep or to the sides to keep it from being reinforced. Kill people/groups on the roads to the keeps. Warhammer style.

Due to this game not having mass group stability (GW2) you can actively guard roads and postern doors while the siege is working on the doors/walls.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Sounds good.  Now I just gotta settle on what base class to pick.  Thanks for the input guys.

Originally posted by darthblaze
    Originally posted by Celdryn

Don't forget, go dragon knight and pull them off the walls = p

Haha yessir! That is why you always stand beside a DK if  you're in a siege :D