Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wander - Non-Combat, Exploration and Puzzler MMO

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Has anyone seen this game?  Wander is a non-combat, exploration based MMO using the CRYENGINE FreeSDK.  It is in very early development.  People can buy into the beta, and I assume eventually receive a full copy of the game.  An alternative to Kickstarter I suppose since it seems the game has already been funded by something.

Looks interesting to me, and a step away from the usual fair, even for an Indie title.

Ok, so posting videos to Youtube seem to be broken.  I've tried a hash, a shortened link and a full link, none of which are working.

Youtube Link.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    So basically a non-combat DayZ with a muuuch bigger world by what I can tell and possibly Journey-esque mechanics? Sounds interesting but the beta access is too damn high for such a under the radar title, if it was 10-15 euros it may have been worth the poke but as is I will just keep an eye on it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    So basically a non-combat DayZ with a muuuch bigger world by what I can tell and possibly Journey-esque mechanics? Sounds interesting but the beta access is too damn high for such a under the radar title, if it was 10-15 euros it may have been worth the poke but as is I will just keep an eye on it.

I got kind of a "Myst" feel from the video, but that could just be the environment and the voice over.  I don't think I'm going to spend $25 on a beta either.  It does at least look interesting.  Like I said, it seems like they've gotten their actual development budget, so hopefully they get to a release state and the game is what they say it is.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Looks interesting to me, and a step away from the usual fair, even for an Indie title.

Please excuse the nitpick, but you want the word "fare" there, not "fair".  "The usual fare" means what people usually are given to eat.

But back on topic, yay griffins! ^_^  It's interesting how much the game's terrain looks like Overlord II so far.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by sunandshadow

Please excuse the nitpick, but you want the word "fare" there, not "fair".  "The usual fare" means what people usually are given to eat.

But back on topic, yay griffins! ^_^  It's interesting how much the game's terrain looks like Overlord II so far.

I might be smarter than you think and was doing a play on words referencing theme parks.  What now, eh?

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Yep, really looking forward to Wander. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

if it is a puzzler, why do it need to be a MMO? I don't think i need other people when i am having fun solving puzzles.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

It looks intriguing.

From their website:
    "About

Wander is a collaborative, non-combat, non-competitive MMO game focused on exploration and joy.

You begin as a giant tree. Storms that affect the known planets transform you, and continue to influence your path. A rare flower has many powers that can alter your course. Enchanting opera singers guide you.

As you explore, you begin to discover others in the the sprawling rainforest. Working together, you unlock new experiences, piece together the plot and enjoy the varied beauty that Wander has to offer.

Wander features a gorgeous landscape, large scale non-competitive play and immersive sound design to create a world like no other.

Wander:Welcome to the rainforest"

It could be interesting. I'll keep my eye on this, though not interested enough in paying them to test their game for them :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Has anyone seen this game?  Wander is a non-combat, exploration based MMO using the CRYENGINE FreeSDK.  It is in very early development.  People can buy into the beta, and I assume eventually receive a full copy of the game.  An alternative to Kickstarter I suppose since it seems the game has already been funded by something.

Refreshing to see a NON-COMBAT MMO.

Now if it's a totally PvE building MMO, as well, it's what's PvE players have been looking for in years, too.

Prime reason I'm not going to play ESO is because the reason I played TES (exploration and PvE loot grinding) is second fiddle to PvP even.

Come on devs make some PvE only games with a promise to never ever add PvP -- look at the mess it created in WoW when they tacked it on only later.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Looks interesting!

I've been complaining about the lack of non-combat MMOs for ages. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this game.

<3

• wandermmowandermmo Member Posts: 2

I'm happy to answer any questions about Wander, as are people on our forums. We haven't got any external funding, so it's currently potatoes and lentils for us. :) The game is $25 because it's a once off payment, with no freemium / in game purchases so we need to make sure if you play for a long time we will be able to afford the servers. Luckily our server costs are pretty low the vast majority of the money goes towards development. We contemplated making it cheaper and then increasing the cost each week as we got closer to release, which is probably a more sensible model. Alas if we did that now we'd feel bad for everyone who already paid.

The different griffins are great, especially using the Oculus Rift. Wander is a very narrative and immersion focused game so we hope it will appeal to anyone who enjoys feeling like they are actually in another world.

Thanks,

Loki

• iseldieraiseldiera Member Posts: 36
    a fresh idea is always welcome in the mmo world. you got my support.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by wandermmo

I'm happy to answer any questions about Wander, as are people on our forums. We haven't got any external funding, so it's currently potatoes and lentils for us. :) The game is $25 because it's a once off payment, with no freemium / in game purchases so we need to make sure if you play for a long time we will be able to afford the servers. Luckily our server costs are pretty low the vast majority of the money goes towards development. We contemplated making it cheaper and then increasing the cost each week as we got closer to release, which is probably a more sensible model. Alas if we did that now we'd feel bad for everyone who already paid.

The different griffins are great, especially using the Oculus Rift. Wander is a very narrative and immersion focused game so we hope it will appeal to anyone who enjoys feeling like they are actually in another world.

Thanks,

Loki

Hi Loki,

My quick question: The video you have on youtube showing off the Occulus Rift with the game....which engine was being used there? It's my understanding that the Unreal engine the game is being switched to isn't in use yet.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you may want to ping Bill M. here at MMORPG about getting your own forum for the game.

<3

• wandermmowandermmo Member Posts: 2

Hi Dreamscaper,

All older screenshots and videos are using the Unity engine, that we did our initial version in. The newer trailer and screenshots are all in game, using CRYENGINE. This version isn't available to early access players yet but we're hoping to get it ready in the near future. We've already got nearly all the assets in and the MMO engine is working, but we need to polish and fix a few of the animations and port a lot of code.

In Wander at night, if you go to sleep in a shelter you go to a place we call the dreamscape, where you can weave things, depending on what lore you have found in the world. So what you've learned influences what you can imagine. Your name seems to suit it well.

Loki

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Thanks OP, I was totally unaware of that game. Looks like it's has some interesing/refreshing gameplay.