Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solo Raiding. Who wants it?

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    if u want "solo raid", u should try play Diablo 3 now. its got new patch and unlimit levels (paragon levels), better loot drop system too.
  • KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Lets take a look at past games who used this type of system which did not end in doom and gloom like those who said it would do,   we find LOTRO Skirmish system that let you knock off solo instances for Crafting Mats for end game.  Then we had EQ 2 which has solo raiding that drops raid gear in them.  Someone mentioned WoW doing something like this.  Someone also mentions Wushu having something like this also.   Skyrim let you solo DRAGONS!  

Why not ESO also, ok maybe not the dragons of skyrim.  Or is everyone hung up on the word raid instead of the meaning I give in the OP?

Percentages of people who want Challenging and rewarding End Game Solo progression content is growing much higher with each new game,  you would never have seen this kind of percentage 10 years ago.   38-40% yes  and around 9% maybes (which mean probably with conditions) speaks volumes of whats lacking in these past games, and why people are quiting them....

I hope Zenimax listens to 38-49% of its gamer base, which I think is much higher because of its single player base,  instead of these Raiders who constantly  think end game should ONLY be exclusive to them in games.    I hope this is the start of the end of these type of Raiders' exclusive grip on end game,   its kinda of like the dawn of telling someone the world is round and not flat,  or that we orbit the sun and the sun does not obrit around us,  or that just because theres other forms of marriage that it wont hurt your marriage in any way.  or other fine examples that were wrong over time like, if drugs are legal in colorado that eveyone in colorado will do it,  or that if alcohol was in every store that everyone is going to drink.   Its just not so.   

When you have 38-49% people who would enjoy content I describe,  I think it would be a tragedy to ignore those people because of the 46% whos gameplay is not affected by this, but only argument is that the 38-49% dont play like they do, so they shouldnt get the same rewards!  

Are we not in fact talking about peoples rights to play how they want and be rewarded equally for end game challenges of thier gameplay styles?  

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by arieste
    After they get done inventing solo raiding, i'd like them to also add solo Cyrodil PvP - ya know, where i can participate in massive sieges with other players, only without the other players. 

How can one PvP with no one to PvP against?

At least the idea of solo dungeons is a PvE concept, which is theoretically possibe. Whether it's a good idea or not, is what we should be discussing.

Now, I'm not personally opposed to the idea of solo dungeons. LotRO did something similar with skirmishes. They were really well done, but did get boring after a while.  Still, something like that could work.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Please no solo instanced crap. THey can use that time and reasource to make a much better group dungeon/raid experience. Its an mmo, you want to play solo then dont group up with people and thats it.

Keep the dungeoning suited for groups. Difficult enough to avoid faceroll rushing

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

raid

re?d/

1.conduct a raid on.

"officers raided thirty homes yesterday"

• quickly and illicitly take something from (a place).

Please tell me where you are all getting raid = group? just because  MMOs copy each other and put raids at end game for multiple people doesn't change the meaning of the word.

You can solo raid quite easily.

ESO is a poorly done online version of Skyrim, I do not consider it a Skyrim MMO because being a Skyrim fan, it just doesn't live up to the same standard as the single player game, so I, like many other Skyrim fans, play ESO like a single player game.

I would solo raid if it was available, i think it's a great idea, if I don't get something to do other than sit and stare at grass when I hit level cap, I will most likely leave and move on to something else, like I would once I finished a solo game and didn't feel like replaying it straight away after completion.

ESO is a very dumbed down version of Skyrim, so it's kind of fun playing it like a single player game and just pretending all the players running around are retarded Npcs and just play on ignoring them...

I will never take ESO seriously or treat it like a normal MMO after they butchered it to be a cheap rip off of Skyrim, but as I said, I will play it like a single player game until it gets boring or one of the other games I am waiting on gets released.

I would love to see something like single raiding or similar.
    Originally posted by Reham34
    Some games have solo instances like AoC and Lotro which are nice for a change.  The by definition a raid is for multiple.  I get the feeling that some want "solo raids" so they can be equal to those who spend hour and hours being a team, communicating, wiping because 1 or 2 out of the group made a mistake.  Solo dungeons do not give raid quality items nor should they.  You want to be equal and get the same trophy do the same content.  This isn't grade school where you get a trophy for finishing last.  

This is also a game, and not real life,  this is suppose to be enjoyable for players who want to play a game.   If its enjoyable to play end game solo or as a group,  or want solo content when your not raiding and playing solo 40+ hours of the week and want end game progression of some form to make your game a little more enjoyable, then its not unreasonable to ask for it.  

It has nothing to do with trophies, or who got first place.   In fact to try to catagorize it that way just shows what kind of kid you were to other kids on the playground in grade school, and back then we called them bullies.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Kilsin

raid

re?d/

1.conduct a raid on.

Please tell me where you are all getting raid = group?
    Please tell me where in the websters dictionary does it say mob = monster? Or that train = a chain of mobs chasing someone? Don't be moronic and obtuse, the term raid was coined for a specific kind of encounter in a MUD. Specifically, groups of people.

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

raid

re?d/

1.conduct a raid on.

Please tell me where in the websters dictionary does it say mob = monster? Or that train = a chain of mobs chasing someone? Don't be moronic and obtuse, the term raid was coined for a specific kind of encounter in a MUD. Specifically, groups of people.

From the Original Post:

Just to clarify:

I'm refering to the difficulty level rather then number of players in raiding. 

Sometimes I wonder if most of you who post on here against solo raiding by my definition even read the Original Post past the Title before coming on and just posting.

Originally posted by Knotwood

raid

re?d/

1.conduct a raid on.

From the Original Post:

Just to clarify:

Sometimes I wonder if most of you who post on here against solo raiding by my definition even read the Original Post past the Title before coming on and just posting.

And as we've all pointed out, the difficulty comes from having multiple people. There's only so hard you can make a solo encounter (not that hard). And why use the term raiding, and be misleading, instead of "can we have harder content?"

raid

re?d/

1.conduct a raid on.

From the Original Post:

Just to clarify:

And as we've all pointed out, the difficulty comes from having multiple people. There's only so hard you can make a solo encounter (not that hard). And why use the term raiding, and be misleading, instead of "can we have harder content?"

So your basicly saying that DEVS like Nick Konkle couldnt possibly make content for solo players that would be just as hard as a full 12+ person raid?

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A CHALLENGE DIRECTLY TO YOU  MR. KONKLE!   LETS SEE YOU PROVE THEM WRONG!  image

raid

re?d/

1.conduct a raid on.

From the Original Post:

Just to clarify:

So your basicly saying that DEVS like Nick Konkle couldnt possibly make content for solo players that would be just as hard as a full 12+ person raid?

THIS SOUNDS LIKE A CHALLENGE DIRECTLY TO YOU  MR. KONKLE!   LETS SEE YOU PROVE THEM WRONG!  image

No challenge and no real point. If I want a truly difficult singleplayer experience, I'm going to play God of War, or Dark Souls or something. There, the challenge comes from a carefully crafted environment, the fluid combat system, platforming. Those don't exist in most MMOs, so solo content cannot be that challenging.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204

If someone wants to play a game alone, they should probably play single player games.  There's enough content to solo while your friends are offline that you won't have nothing to do, and can then raid when everyone is together.

raid

re?d/

1.conduct a raid on.

From the Original Post:

Just to clarify:

No challenge and no real point. If I want a truly difficult singleplayer experience, I'm going to play God of War, or Dark Souls or something. There, the challenge comes from a carefully crafted environment, the fluid combat system, platforming. Those don't exist in most MMOs, so solo content cannot be that challenging.

So you agree that there can be truly difficult singleplayer experiences...   or was it as you said before?   the difficulty comes from having multiple people.   Which is it,  single player content can be as difficult as raids, or only multiple people can creat the dificulty?     Either way.  I think you just dont want the fact that someone can solo content at a slow progression rate and have a few extra pieces of gear more then you,  or you do not have the 40+ free time that make people want end game progression for more then just 5 hours a week raiding in 12+ raids.

This 40+ extra hours a week should have something for every playstyle to be able to progress end game at a nice slower then raiding rate but atleast be progressing somehow.    Thats why I propose Solo Raid experiences like Skirmishes in LOTRO but much harder and rewards a small fraction towards end game rewards.

Why shouldnt those who want to progress end game solo or group play during those extra hours of the week that they are not raiding,  or are solo players who do not like the politics of raiding, but prefer solo or grouping encounters of the hardest degree?   It seems reasonable to have some end game progression for everyone.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

OP, you don't seem to realise that if something can be done solo, people will stop grouping and just well, do it solo.

Just for curiosity: why do you enjoy playing MMORPG instead of, say, Diablo or Skyrim where you can play solo and chat with friends via skype or something ?

raid

re?d/

1.conduct a raid on.

From the Original Post:

Just to clarify:

So you agree that there can be truly difficult singleplayer experiences...

In an offline game with the entire engine and game built around playing the game singleplayer. That's not what an MMO is, and it never should be.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Cool idea but how items are done in this game you wont feel the need to do that. 
    Originally posted by aSynchro

OP, you don't seem to realise that if something can be done solo, people will stop grouping and just well, do it solo. 

Just for curiosity: why do you enjoy playing MMORPG instead of, say, Diablo or Skyrim where you can play solo and chat with friends via skype or something ?

I answered this earlier but I'll give more details.

Pick up raids is the purest form of solo players who want end game progression and players who play solo becaus thier guild is no longer raiding during the week.   The size of these pick up raids has growing quite a bit over the years and indeed is a social event solo players enjoy.    This is the fastest form end game progression a solo player will ever see, and they will do that over solo raid dungeons that reward at a far slower pace then raiding,  heres why:

Imagine yourself doing solo/group raid instances that offer end game progression,  and you hear a shout for a Pick up Raid,  the first thing that goes through your mind will be, that this can progress me 10 times faster then what I'm doing right now for hours on end this week and give a chance for a social event.  I've had alot of practice in these solo raids and group dungeons, that I feel I could raid no problems.  Your going to join because its faster end game progression and gives you a chance to hang out with other people,  the whole reason for MMORPG like you say.  

After your done with your pick up group.  You'll immediatly think of end game progression again,  and go to what is available to you, but you'll be wanting  to progress in your online game,  so you do your solo/group raid dungeons again to keep progressing in end game until another chance for you to raid arises again.  

If players do not have something to progress end game during the aftermath of Pick up Raids and Guild Raids,  what will they do?    Most games have Crafting, but if this crafting gets you nowhere in end game after maxing it and your max level, then how can this be fun forever?  Is there mats you can farm or gather to progress end game to make it feel rewarding?    Then there is Grinding AA points or end game mastery systems,  this results in grinding mobs brainlessly in a non-enjoyable manner,  it is progression towards end game, but has nothing to really keep you wanting to play/enjoy the game.

By adding this solo or grouping raid feature that progresses end game for players, would be something that could be enjoyable, and very challenging and rewarding in game that would keep players in game and have a feeling of some form of end game progression,  that they are achieving something thats rewarding.  

The alternative to this would be to do nothing that is end game progressing for most of your gametime.   To feel lack of acomplishment,  and end up like the other players you see in towns with raid gear on but doing absolutly nothing at all for grouping or even solo play for that matter.    All that matters to a player whos end game eventually becomes a matter of what to do next to progress for those large amounts of hours that they are not raiding. 

As a raider you must have felt this before, the lack of things to do in your game when your guild is not raiding for the rest of the week.    Well,   this Solo or group raid system I propose would offer you that enjoyment that you can indulge in for hours while nothing is happening during the week with your friends or guildmates and be able to have some level of brain activity that is challenging and sense of acomplishment.   Without having to look for some other source of entertainment in the real world which often leads to other MMO games.

Which is all fine if you play other MMO games at the same time, but I often find playing multiple MMO's at once causes you to say forget that one game that only progresses me end game 5 hours a week.    Which is not very good for any MMO when players leave a game,   you have less people who you can raid with,  you have less people and for what?   Because you did not want those people to have some level of progression end game that was slower then raiding?

Before you know it, the entire game is empty and people cry that there is no one to play with.   Those people who left got bored, those people who left did everything the felt was worth doing in the game.  Thier ride is over, they progressd only 5 hours a week.   They did all the crafting that would allow them to feel rewarded,   they did all the events or nonprogression things that were entertaining and packed up thier bags and said,   5 hours are all I get for enjoyment anymore in this game.

This system prevents that, it allows people to feel a constant feeling of end game progression that will never end for them and that will keep players in game and give you someone to raid and group with for end game.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I still have yet to see a difference between solo raids and solo dungeons. Games already have solo dungeons. Rift is a good example. The only reason they are called raids to begin with is because they require more than one group of players, not because the difficulty is any higher.

Raids are raids simply because of scale, you just want challenging solo content, which I agree with. Games, even MMO's, should have challenging content for the solo player. But calling it a raid automatically assumes it's more than one group of players, not because of any amount of added difficulty. Playing MMO's for about 15 years now, and I can assure the hardest thing about raids in any game is finding the amount of people you need with brains and attendance. The content itself is usually very easy and no harder than dungeons.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Solo raiding?

Isn't that a contradiction by definition?

You probably mean solo dungeons?

This...^

Exactly what I thought....

Raid seemed apropriate in order to express the level of difficulty and rewards that are given.
    Raid seemed apropriate in order to express the level of difficulty and rewards that are given.

Raids are no more difficult than dungeons, just a larger amount of people. As I said in an earlier post, the difficulty of raids comes from dealing with unskilled players, not the content itself.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Raids are no more difficult than dungeons, just a larger amount of people. As I said in an earlier post, the difficulty of raids comes from dealing with unskilled players, not the content itself.

So your also saying that DEVS like Nick Konkle couldnt possibly make content for solo players that would be just as hard as a full 12+ person raid?

wAIT What?   Raids are no more difficult then dungeons???!!!   Then why should you care if people do the same level of diffculty in solo dungeons for rewards.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER CHALLENGE DIRECTLY TO YOU  MR. KONKLE!   LETS SEE YOU PROVE THEM WRONG!  image

So your also saying that DEVS like Nick Konkle couldnt possibly make content for solo players that would be just as hard as a full 12+ person raid?

THIS SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER CHALLENGE DIRECTLY TO YOU  MR. KONKLE!   LETS SEE YOU PROVE THEM WRONG!  image

...What? This makes no sense to me...

...What? This makes no sense to me...

IF raids are no more difficult then dungeons to you, then why should you care if someone in a solo dungeon gets the same reward??    Just because the number of players that did it?

BETA HAS BEGUN, SEE YOU ALL SUNDAY NIGHT!  WOOT!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am all for difficult gameplay no matter what type of play. Some MMOers like soloplay and if that gameplay is included they deserve some endgame content just like anyone else.

Lets be clear with one thing though, this is not raid content, but hard solocontent. Bi§g difference, the point of a raid is that you have at least 2 regular groups co-ordinating and that take certain skills, hard group or solocontent can't be played the same way since it is a very different matter playing by yourself or with 4-5 other players then with 9-39 other players.