Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much of a 'Themepark' MMO is ESO?

124»

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by Lazzaro

I should have been more clear. I meant it doesn't seem to be raid or die at level 50.

Yes, it's definitely not a raid focused game.

Originally posted by DAS1337 

You are wrong in nearly every point that you made.  Which is fine, I'll just have to explain it to you in hopes that you can comprehend your failures.

When deciding whether or not a system in a given MMO is themepark or sandbox, it's not always as simple as throwing a label on it and being done.  Some systems can be a mixture of both, and you ALWAYS have to be aware of the 'norm' for the industry.  As the 'norm' often affects the label.  So let's get to the lesson at hand...

(Lots of Details)

You certainly appear to have a very definite idea of how to decide whether to label a feature "sandboxy" or not.  Can you explain how your use of the term actually fits the sandbox analogy?  What are you defining as the sand, and what as the tools?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Not very much. The game is focused on open world exploration, free roaming combat and adventure.  The only "themepark" elements are the quest system and possibly the dungeon set up depending on how you look at it. And the lack of death penalty or actual danger, the way the zones are funneled and linear, the amount of phasing there is, the safety rails...

I would say it's a hybrid of the two, more leaning towards sandbox. How the fuck is it a sandbox? In ANY way? Can you build things? Is there player made content? Is there no leveling path? Are all the dungeons uninstanced? No. The only thing they really have is the skill system. They give a lot more freedom of what to do than say, GW2 or WoW, but not just throwing you into the world and saying good luck like other ES single player games or DAoC did. Nobody in their right mind EVER called DAoC a sandbox, and you're saying this is LESS sandbox than DAoC, but still a sandbox? And the last ES game to toss you out and say "Good luck" was Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim had painfully long "You are the chosen one" intros.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with all your points.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    There are endless threads including stickies that discuss what a sandbox is and what a themepark is. It is obvious to anyone who
    Plays both that eso is not a sandbox game. The develops themselves called it a themepark.

As has been said time and time again, eve represents a sandbox, a self evolving cohesive partially regulated free form virtual world. This is not the same as a large open world mmorg with quests dotted about randomly with lore and a semi linear story at its core. Chalk and cheese.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kuinn

Seems to me like it's more or less themepark even if it allows you some freedom. You are still gated by player levels, and it does not seem like there's much in the world that you can "manipulate" outside of quests, events, or crafting.

It just feels like there's not neccesarily much in the world to keep me going after the leveling is done? I hope someone proves me wrong, and I hope the game has a lot more depth than I expect it to have, but we'll see.

Levels really have nothing to do with it, it is just one way to simulate experience and set requirement on gear. You still don't want to run into the toughest part of the game with a new made character in most sandboxes without levels either

Sandbox is more about creating your own content, like build a house at a road and open up a tavern in it, breeding and training mounts and pets or maybe building a warship with a few friends...

And yes, ESO is more of a themepark then a sandbox, I think we agree there. :)

• QuorinaQuorina Member Posts: 41
    It's not a theme park on rails like WoW and SWTOR are, but it's still a themepark. A themepark with sandbox elements.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Quorina
    It's not a theme park on rails like WoW and SWTOR are, but it's still a themepark. A themepark with sandbox elements.

An argument can be made that some elements of AvAvA are sandbox, what else in ESO would you consider sandbox?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    Originally posted by Baikal

I love how the words "Sandbox" and "Themepark" change depending on what a person wants them to be.

If nobody is going to define and everyone agree, kinda makes the discussion utterly pointless.

+1, Baikal drops the mic and exits leaving the crowd stunned :)

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Definitely a themepark.  But one of the least themeparky-feeling themeparks you'll find.