Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A solution to the Tutorial Conundrum.

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 10,202

Interactive, cinematic, thorough, in game guide book.  A guide book that's voice acted with dragons and swords popping of the pages,  with general lore and gameplay. 

Players will be able to get want they want to know in the oreder the want to get it! What do you guys think?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by bcbully

Interactive, cinematic, thorough, in game guide book.  A guide book that's voice acted with dragons and swords popping of the pages,  with general lore and gameplay. 

Players will be able to get want they want to know in the oreder the want to get it! What do you guys think?

I think that's an awesome idea for any game that isn't ever going to be updated after release. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

This is usually the tutorial I use for every game. Press every button. See what happens. Play. Repeat as necessary.

I think a matrix like loading screen you could refer to at anytime and load whatever scenario you need. Don't ruin peoples experience without permission.

Or basically your idea with the stipulation it's something you have to seek.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

just make it a chat bot~over dub to action and animations based on teaching a nooblet how to right click an icon in wiondows the 1st time.

No NO! the OTHER BUTTON!

Dammit!

/facepalm

Now NO! OMG

THE OTHER ONE!

ECT...

But back OT

I always click options then keybinds and if the game has a controls menu instead I usuly drop it within a week. there are some exceptions with -not so much really well done- setups and UI but ones that I am accustomed to which is rare.

Then I skip the tutorial or run through it. And on the rare occasion that a tut reward is something that I cant do with out well thats a bad design anyhow...

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by 5Luck

just make it a chat bot~over dub to action and animations based on teaching a nooblet how to right click an icon in wiondows the 1st time.

No NO! the OTHER BUTTON!

Dammit!

/facepalm

Now NO! OMG

THE OTHER ONE!

ECT...

I had to clarify to my wife that when I say talk to that npc, I mean click on them.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,929
    Originally posted by bcbully

Most people, including me, find tutorials needless, boring and time-wasting.  I'm fine with your idea as long as we can skip it.  I mean, come on.... WASD, mouselook, hotkeys and combat are all routine these days.  If someone has already played an mmorpg they just don't need a tutorial.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 756

Just make it optional. Hell, Daoc had it so you could skip it. Other games did too. In Vanguard you could skip the tutorial/trial island and just go to a home city. I actually liked the island there though hehe.

Still keep a tips box that can pop up if you want, but don't explain the mechanics unless people want to go through it. And if there is something you don't know how to do, it should be easily accessible in the game to find out, which most games do already.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I'm sorry, what's the conundrum?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,939

What evil possesses devs to make tutorials?  They are insulting and insinuating "dumb as fuck."

I could handle a tut if it actually attempted to teach a new dynamic of game play.  But BEGINNER TUTORIALS in mmo's tell you stupid shit we already know or if you can't figure out on your own you're to baka to be breathing let alone playing a game with others!  But if they have a dynamic to the game that is outrageous hard to learn we have to go to wiki or YouTube to figure out (which I hate btw I should never have to leave a game once to accomplish game goals).  Game encyclopedias from the help menu are also gdamn joke.

Here's my tut solve.  Have a tut npc in the city or housing that teaches complex game info and give her YouTube web serf access.  She'd show you cut scenes, hints, and whatnot for big game bosses or adding runes to high level armor, etc.  NO MORE "this is how you drink a potion" "the yellow marker above an npc means you have a quest" "you can go outside the city to find mobs to kill."  

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Quirhid

I'm sorry, what's the conundrum?

Apparently every other issue has been solved and we've finally moved on to the dreaded tutorial section in which experienced players are SUFFERING because they have to spend 10 minutes pressing keys they already know. It's an injustice that has to stop!

Unless a tutorial requires a substantial amount of time it really doesn't matter to me (and the only game I can think of with a long tutorial is EVE because it takes 4 hours to explain the UI - grats on good interface design!)