Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European Union: Stop calling games "free to play" which are not!

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Was about time.

But what comes next

a.buy to free ?

b.pay to play 4 free ?

c.free to play if you pay ?

d.?

hahahahahahahahah-

Interesting point...

I say 'Microtransaction game" would be fitting (something along those lines)

Might be might be.But they need that "punch" line which sounds like a win compared to "monthly fees"

Might be also borrow to play,deposit some money to us or even loan some money and you get play time for free in exchange!

Banked money can be used to open boxes and other minigames.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Not sure why the need to think this through so much. If you can play a game without paying a fee...it's F2P...PERIOD!

Stop the need to categorize everything....for the love of Buddha!

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Originally posted by Torvaldr

[mod edit]

[mod edit] Hows this: Free to Play -> subscription free (or subscription optional) P2P -> subscription locked. They should also have to disclose any other extra fees they charge just like sub-free games should. That would be honest. You're all into honesty right?  

Yes...we are into honesty...and honestly...you people are making a conversation out of nothing

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by arieste

What's next?  I can't have a "Free" car because it doesn't come with a lifetime supply of gasoline?  Or a free slice of pizza because it doesn't include the required healthcare and gym membership?    

Very few things in the world are totally free without the chance that you'll either pay for it somehow or buy other things.  

What about buy one get one free?  It isn't free if you have spend but you are spending so........

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    All depends on how you define the word "play."

This. ^^

It's not the word free in question. Rather the content you are allowed to play for it that is.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Personally I am definitely in support of this. Advertising should be regulated toughly, especially when its aimed at children (which a lot of "free" to play games are) and let's face it, a lot of games calling themselves F2P really aren't: most of the time the free portion is in fact a trial of some sort.
    Originally posted by Kuviski
    Personally I am definitely in support of this. Advertising should be regulated toughly, especially when its aimed at children (which a lot of "free" to play games are) and let's face it, a lot of games calling themselves F2P really aren't: most of the time the free portion is in fact a trial of some sort.

New term to coin!

F2D.

Free to D.

Free to Demo.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

Stupid European Union.  Come on everyone knows that free to play means you can download the game for free.  Then you can play the game for free.  In-game purchases are optional.

New required model for purchasing a new game:

Base Game: $0.00

Play time: $0.00

Future purchase options:

Option 1: $1.00

Option 2: $.50

Option 3432: $15.00

Bundle 1: $30.00

Bundle 1 include 1: $5.00

Bundle 15 ...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DMKano

Rift will keep the label in EU - as it is really free to play in its entirety.

According to the quote in the OP, the optional purchases will cause it to lose that title. That said, I'd like to see data that shows that any significant number of people outside a tiny handful of obtuse folks here are actually misled by the name. 

The commission's goal seems to be to change the term, which the F2P marketing teams would love to see happen, as they can ride the buzz around the new name for months, if not a year or so. It opens a new window for them to pitch the value of the business model - No box fee! No sub! Play [GameTitle], the hottest [NewTerm] [Genre] of 2014!

It would be interesting to see how much money and time they waste on this project.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

New term to coin!

F2D.

Free to D.

Free to Demo.

So, I'm only playing a demo of SWTOR, or Neverwinter, or RIFT? How about Planetside 2, or Everquest Next: Landmark, or Path of Exile, World of Tanks, Star Trek Online, Champions Online or DC Universe Online, are those only demos as well?

I suspect and hope they are actually looking more at the casual game market: Farm Ville ..., Smurf ... You know games that you can only play for 5 minutes at a time  once every 24 hours unless you buy something to extend play time immediately.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    Always amaze's me how many people think there entitled to be just given free games. This will have come about because some idiot will of been playing a game come to a pay wall of some sort and shit a brick "What they want me to pay some money for a game that up till now I've been playing for free stealing gits" Next he's calling his lawyers a couple years later it turns into this something that's just needed.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    [mod edit]

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Completely asinine. The games are, in technicality, free-to-play, and disallowing the label on even strictly optional cosmetic purposes is absurd. 
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Oh no, politicians want to protect us. Run for the hills!!!

Seriously if you want to have a big problem just let poltticians solve small problems for you. And now they "care" about naming of free to play... LOL!! Why are we paying their salaries I wonder sometimes.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

OMG we needed this so much !!!! Hope this is cure pill for MMO industy because they wont be able to face roll people with their fake models maybe now they will focus on Quality instead if quantity. This is some great news!

This people.... 

MMO game industry make crazy amount of money some in very unfair and scum ways....

Now that game can go on market and milk slowly gamers they will be forced to focus on quality.

Seriously view on problem of people is so small .... we live and a time of dumb people and we get dumber !

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    I Love it the so called free to play games cost way more and tank in more then the ptp games.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Swids2010
    Always amaze's me how many people think there entitled to be just given free games. This will have come about because some idiot will of been playing a game come to a pay wall of some sort and shit a brick "What they want me to pay some money for a game that up till now I've been playing for free stealing gits" Next he's calling his lawyers a couple years later it turns into this something that's just needed.

I think you kinda miss the point here. It is not whether or not something is free, it is that a company can not call a product free, if it isn't. It's lying. That's what it is about.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 Member UncommonPosts: 56

The EU wants to protect me against cashgrab-apps by making their declaration with the product more distinct and people complain about that?

You guys are the reason my generation wants to die young, seriously.

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by MikePaladin
    OMG we needed this so much !!!! Hope this is cure pill for MMO industy because they wont be able to face roll people with their fake models maybe now they will focus on Quality instead if quantity. This is some great news!

You didn't actually read the article did you?

To all those who think this is the start of something, even if this were about MMOs (which it isn't) restricting the use of the word "Free" isn't going to kill off a payment model. This is a baby step towards absolutely nothing.

I disagree.

I think this could be the start of some much needed regulation.

I understand this is for mobile apps- But hope this is a small step towards establishing some regulation and rules regarding virtual goods and services.

-You are probably correct in the short term, nothing changes. But something needs to happen- The gaming industry has practices which would be unacceptable in any other industry and its growing worse and worse.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

I discussed this  topic a lot of times and regulation like this in long term will improve Game industry. there  a F2P Crossfire FPSMMO  witch has biggest income on top of WOW and many other Titans on MMO market.

If they will adopt this slowly they will do it for the rest.

You see more P2P mmo will be there better the quality will be because there will be competition.

ALSO this simple F2P naming is actually successful baiting people spending  thousands in free to play game.Only the fact that they reviewed this law gives us hope that sooner or later we will have law for regulation of MMO marked witch is falling apart.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

New term to coin!

F2D.

Free to D.

Free to Demo.

So, I'm only playing a demo of SWTOR, or Neverwinter, or RIFT? How about Planetside 2, or Everquest Next: Landmark, or Path of Exile, World of Tanks, Star Trek Online, Champions Online or DC Universe Online, are those only demos as well?

Yes. Yes you are.

Yes. Yes they are.

Enjoy your demos!

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by Swids2010

I think you kinda miss the point here. It is not whether or not something is free, it is that a company can not call a product free, if it isn't. It's lying. That's what it is about.

There is a difference between calling it free, and calling it free to play.  Free to play isn't a lie.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Cellarkid88Cellarkid88 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Winning a discussion is not what it's about. If you could pass insight to someone or learn something from it in return - noone can really loose, can they?

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Originally posted by MikePaladin

You didn't actually read the article did you?

To all those who think this is the start of something, even if this were about MMOs (which it isn't) restricting the use of the word "Free" isn't going to kill off a payment model. This is a baby step towards absolutely nothing.

I disagree.

I think this could be the start of some much needed regulation.

I understand this is for mobile apps- But hope this is a small step towards establishing some regulation and rules regarding virtual goods and services.

-You are probably correct in the short term, nothing changes. But something needs to happen- The gaming industry has practices which would be unacceptable in any other industry and its growing worse and worse.

It depends on the regulations. Regulations over marketing or how microtransactions are displayed or payed for in game are fine by me. All game companies (including P2P and B2P companies) should be upfront about what they are and aren't going to charge for.

But, it opens the door for harsher regulations. Regulations on how much a company can charger for items, or regulations on how much a person can spend are not good things. The problem is that these are the type of company killing regulations many people want.

Regulations kill games too.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"