Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European Union: Stop calling games "free to play" which are not!

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

In a staggering move, the European Commission currently debates to disallow companies calling games "free" which apparently are not, since they have paywall of certain kind, and only games are allowed to call themselves "free to play" which are free in it's entirety.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-27-free-to-play-misleading-advertising-in-europe

Quote:

"The Consumer Protection Cooperation and EC member states have released a list of common positions on the subject, with misleading advertising at the top.

"The use of the word 'free' (or similar unequivocal terms) as such, and without any appropriate qualifications, should only be allowed for games which are indeed free in their entirety, or in other words which contain no possibility of making in-app purchases, not even on an optional basis," the group said."

Which I fully support! I am glad to see how the EU often sides with the customers. *waves EU flag* :)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    This here...This was well needed
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Wait a minute... If you can log into a game and play (regardless of how much content you can play) for free.... how is that not Free to play? You are playing for free!

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    lol it will be a short list of actual games that are free since its a business there in it to make money
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

It's amazingly sad that the grasp of the English language in the EU is that poor.  I can't think of one F2P game that can't be played for free.

EDIT: If they can't see that "to play" is an appropriate qualification, they are the ones lacking in appropriate qualifications.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70
    There are a couple ways you can interpret the meaning of the wording used there. The "in-app purchase" part seems to allow a loophole where players can still go to the company website for virtual goods. Just so long as there's not an actual in-game shop, it might be kosher, (they could still call the game "free to play"). 
  • TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

anybody that needs to be 'saved' from how a game is played by a governmental type institution is terminally stupid.

If you can control yourself and not spend tons of money on a F2P there is no problem , if you can't control your spending habits blame yourself.

• imsoenthusedimsoenthused Member UncommonPosts: 65
    So optional purchases make free games not free? That's kind of like saying a free admittance even in real life isn't free if it has a concession stand inside.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

What's next?  I can't have a "Free" car because it doesn't come with a lifetime supply of gasoline?  Or a free slice of pizza because it doesn't include the required healthcare and gym membership?    

Very few things in the world are totally free without the chance that you'll either pay for it somehow or buy other things.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Tuchaka

anybody that needs to be 'saved' from how a game is played by a governmental type institution is terminally stupid.

If you can control yourself and not spend tons of money on a F2P there is no problem , if you can't control your spending habits blame yourself.

This ^^^^^^^

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    All depends on how you define the word "play."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    It's about bloody time!

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Cool it guys enough with the nerd rage.

The meeting was primarily with Google and Apple about apps not about F2P MMO games.

"Like it or not, apps and games that cost nothing but that let users spend money inside them have become the norm on mobile app stores. And now the The European Commission is meeting with Apple, Google, and consumer protection groups to discuss reforms to so-called freemium games and apps. It's meeting with the companies today and tomorrow to ask for clearer language about the actual costs involved, as well as to create rules that prohibit any "direct" extortions that ask children to request money from adults. The commission is also asking for tighter controls on how in-app payments are made, as well as for apps to include a direct email address to the developer."

"These issues have already been brought up in the US and have led to changes. An earlier policy on Apple's App Store allowed purchases to be made without an iTunes password within a brief window, something that was later rectified. Nonetheless, the feature attracted a complaint from the Federal Trade Commission and an eventual settlement involving $32.5 million in consumer refunds last month. After settling a separate lawsuit last year, the company also added notices about in-app purchases right on app listings. Google continues to offer a window where passwords are not required, though last month said it was working on extra controls over Google Play purchases"

both quotes from: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/27/5453934/the-european-union-is-grilling-apple-and-google-about-free-to-play

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Two things:

- First, this is mainly aimed at the smartphone market and casual games,

- Second, this is mainly aimed at children.

Now, I am pretty sure that Apple asks the smartphone owner to enter their credentials before EVERY in app purchase. It's not like it happens behind your back - without you noticing.

Parents who give control of their credit card to their young (and old) children (by giving their account password or whatever) and end up with a bill of £980 should be publicly be named and shamed.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/27/apple-google-in-app-purchases-children-european-commission

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Yes, that's exactly what we need, more government interference in our lives. Oh wait, EU, nevermind.

I'm glad to see that legislatures in the EU have nothing better to do than debate video games. Utopia over there, I suppose.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Yes, that's exactly what we need, more government interference in our lives. Oh wait, EU, nevermind.

I'm glad to see that legislatures in the EU have nothing better to do than debate video games. Utopia over there, I suppose.

1. It is a discussion not a direction or a piece of legislation
    2. It is being done by the European Commission not the European Parliament or any other legislature
    3. It is not about video games but about phone apps
    4. The US of A  already did something very like this.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

truth in advertising is a good thing.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    All depends on how you define the word "play."

Also how you define "to" 

:)

President Clinton... is that you?

"That depends on what the meaning if the word is... is..."

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Yup, good for the EU, hope my country has a similar conversation.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    [mod edit]

It's funny to see people defending marketers. Not surprising unfortunately.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Most F2P games are to a free to play game as movie trailers are to a free movie.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by FinalFikus

truth in advertising is a good thing. 

Yes, it is.  Which is why the games are called "Free to Play," which is accurate, not simply "Free" which would be a stretch.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

This will be interesting to watch.  Good post, thanks.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Was about time.

But what comes next

a.buy to free ? (B2F)

b.pay to play 4 free ? (P2P4F)

c.free to play if you pay ?  (F2PIP)

d.?

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Was about time.

But what comes next

a.buy to free ?

b.pay to play 4 free ?

c.free to play if you pay ?

d.?

hahahahahahahahah-

Interesting point...

I say 'Microtransaction game" would be fitting (something along those lines)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

How stupid...

Every one knows everything in life comes for free...

Coca  Cola is free to drink

On a bench in the park its free to eat

We got free education and free healthcare overhere in europe

and we freed the slaves over 200 years ago

Everyone and everything comes for Free...

But then advertising something as being Free to play...  and hinting its free of all costs... is still misleading.  And i actually support this move, because despite my funny remarks above here, everyone knows nothing in life comes free. And Free to Play is only a marketing campaign used to trick people into believing its for free while tricking them with every move they make to spend money...

just like on a package od cigarets is printed :deadly poison.... on these games needs to be printed : requires micro payments to enjoy to their fullest

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)