Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Villagers & Heroes

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Has anyone in the MMORPG.com community played, is playing or thinking about playing this game?  It seems to be a sandbox game, with farming and adventure elements to it with graphics in the vein of Wizard 101 or perhaps Free Realms.  There are people playing the game, but there aren't too many videos on Youtube.

There was an article on Massively that I clicked through.

If so, what are your thoughts on the game?  Decent?  P2W?  Weak?  Any thoughts at all?  Just curious.

Link so you know what I'm talking about : http://www.villagersandheroes.com/

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    It used to be called A mystical land. I found a lot of info under that name. Im just watching a vid on it now. Seems kind of neat.
    Well I watched the video while multitasking, I am going to give it a whirl tomorrow. Thanks for bringing the game up man.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Will the villagers get out their pitchforks en mass when my hero starts rifling through all their cabinets and takes anything that isn't nailed down?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Thanks for posting this! Will give it a shot!
  • GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Will the villagers get out their pitchforks en mass when my hero starts rifling through all their cabinets and takes anything that isn't nailed down?

Well, if you did that you wouldn't exactly be a hero now would you?

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Grym

It depends on how much they love me.  They could just ride that friendly merchant out on a rail that fenc... errr, buys all that loot that he has completely forgotten who he sold to yesterday.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    PS; more posts like this please! Im sick of seeing all the terrible threads popping up. Its nice to see something new.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

Anyone tried this yet? I won't have time for another week or so, just wondering what the catch is.

Looks pretty neat in the promo.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Thanks, lizard! Installing right now. Will give it a go.

[EDIT]
    After a couple of hours of playing, it is a nice, F2P MMO. I don't know if I will keep playing, but I had fun for the time I was there.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Grym

It depends on how much they love me.  They could just ride that friendly merchant out on a rail that fenc... errr, buys all that loot that he has completely forgotten who he sold to yesterday.

"Hero" is kind of a relative term, related more to what people think of you than what you do. :-)

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Thanks, lizard! Installing right now. Will give it a go.

[EDIT]
    After a couple of hours of playing, it is a nice, F2P MMO. I don't know if I will keep playing, but I had fun for the time I was there.

Well, cool!  I didn't expect people to download and play the game, but if some people have fun, that works for me.  :-)

Originally posted by FinalFikus

Anyone tried this yet? I won't have time for another week or so, just wondering what the catch is.

Looks pretty neat in the promo.

From what I can see, there are two catches.  One is that the population is pretty small (but dedicated).  Two is that it is an energy based game.  You can get energy from doing stuff in the game, or from the cash shop and the different types of energy are tradable between players.  There is one type of energy that is only available from the cash shop, so there could be game play limitations without spending money.  I have no idea how the energy limitations scale as you play though.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by madazz
    PS; more posts like this please! Im sick of seeing all the terrible threads popping up. Its nice to see something new.

I'll second that. imageimage

Thanks for linking this, Lizard. Installed it, logged in, and currently picking endless apples. Looking forward to getting deeper into the game this weekend. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Downloading now.  It looks refreshingly different.  :)

EDIT:  Looks live the servers are either down or overloaded.  I'm still planning to give it a try though.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Giving it a shot to see whats going on over here saw thread last night. Waited to see development and so i will swing my sword at this title see what its got
  • bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Actualy Richard Garriot developed the plugin (Portalarium) that runs the game.

I've read that it's on new engine now tho.

So far its a pretty neat game. Not a AAA quality game for sure, but its got its good points. I actually like the simplicity of it. After what I read about the game I am looking forward to the larger areas. It's the type of game that I am going to just hop in and out of. Doesn't take long to do much, so you can hop in and feel like you actually accomplished something.

So far no "energy" or anything has got in my way. From what I read there is no pay wall either. Whenever I like a free game I end up putting money into it. If I stick with this game I will end up getting the limitless rune to travel everywhere for free.

The music is actually kind of impressive for the game. The controls need some tweaking. The graphics are fun but nothing amazing. Overall, I think it is worth a shot for someone not looking for a hardcore MMO, but rather one to just goof around in at their will.

There is a patch incoming, expected to arrive in March to improve the visual quality of the game so it does not look so 'old'.  It will also add some more sandbox elements, item customization and some new world content as well.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02/26/free-for-all-villagers-and-heroes-adds-bells-whistles-and-mor/

So cool.

They are also planning on phasing out the browser in favor of a full client.

The new patch look pretty cool! Im still having fun popping in and out of the game. I don't play it much, but its been fun to be in and out of it at will.

From some of the stuff I have read online, it appears the DEV's are actually trying to improve this game rather than doing it because they have to (for income).

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I did try this game a while back in some form of "still taking your money even though it's called beta" phase back about a year or so ago...

The game felt fun and a much better than some of the other "kid" games... The real stickler though was the cash shop/energy based game systems especially for crafting/harvesting etc... This was the real buzz kill for me, they give you a good taste of what the potential of the game has, then it sudden;y turned into what felt like a tablet style game where you constantly had to put a quarter in the meter if you wanted to continue.

Great idea... Bad cash shop (at least back when I tried it)

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...