Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did they fix LOTRO yet ?

Played around with LOTRO a few times in the past.

Winter of last year when I was traveling in a hotel and loved it.  I told myself when I get home and know I have some free time I'll take this game serious and make it my home.  Well, it took until Christmas of this year to get that time, only to find the game completely broken with easiness.

My goal was to play a Ruin Keeper, I didn't like the trickery of buying the expansion pack but was willing to do it anyway. I tested the waters with a Lore Master before purchase only to find the game busted with easy to the point of it being un playable.  Like why play a class that you love if your first ability ( rank one ) could one shot everything.  Sure I'm exaggerating a bit, but its really ALMOST THAT BAD !....If thats the case why embrace any class.

I'm not trying to start a war or anything like that, but please don't tell me to play 10 levels higher or do group dungeons solo or it gets harder at level 50 or any other work around for that matter.  I'm looking for a good mmo that does not have to be manipulated, because thats wrong and you know it.  I don't think you should have a two year collage degree in how to play LOTRO right.

So, did they fix this game yet ?......I'll check back often to see, and would really like to play a Ruin Keeper.

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Unfortunately, like in most games that require you to level, the games PvE is easy.

I play it like a SPRPG with a lobby/instanced based multiplayer system. Never used to be like that at launch, but it's not the same game now.

There was quite a few open world forced group content. Areas you needed to be in a group for. However they made all book quests soloable. They have kept a few openworld fellowship content. However they have removed mob density from these areas or, by the time you get to them you have out leveled them and can solo the content.

They've been breaking the game since after the Moria expansion IMO.

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by delete5230

Played around with LOTRO a few times in the past.

Winter of last year when I was traveling in a hotel and loved it.  I told myself when I get home and know I have some free time I'll take this game serious and make it my home.  Well, it took until Christmas of this year to get that time, only to find the game completely broken with easiness.

My goal was to play a Ruin Keeper, I didn't like the trickery of buying the expansion pack but was willing to do it anyway. I tested the waters with a Lore Master before purchase only to find the game busted with easy to the point of it being un playable.  Like why play a class that you love if your first ability ( rank one ) could one shot everything.  Sure I'm exaggerating a bit, but its really ALMOST THAT BAD !....If thats the case why embrace any class.

I'm not trying to start a war or anything like that, but please don't tell me to play 10 levels higher or do group dungeons solo or it gets harder at level 50 or any other work around for that matter.  I'm looking for a good mmo that does not have to be manipulated, because thats wrong and you know it.  I don't think you should have a two year collage degree in how to play LOTRO right.

So, did they fix this game yet ?......I'll check back often to see, and would really like to play a Ruin Keeper.

Go away troll. It's RUNEKEEPER by the way. I doubt you even played the game.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Yea, they need to make the game harderer and stuffs.

Like it was back in Rise of Angmar. You know? When it went free to play because subscriptions kept dropping and nobody was playing? When most of the content was group locked and quest chains died at the LFG level?

That will bring the game back to life. mmm

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Kate Paiz says...YES; you can believe it too it's on the interwebs DUR HUR

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by wildscore12
    Originally posted by free2play

Yea, they need to make the game harderer and stuffs.

Like it was back in Rise of Angmar. You know? When it went free to play because subscriptions kept dropping and nobody was playing? When most of the content was group locked and quest chains died at the LFG level?

That will bring the game back to life. mmm

Hmm first it's called Shadows of Angmar, 2nd "most " content was not group locked.  Before f2p they changed the story chain so you could finish it without a group.  

Just wanted to fix some of your misinformation.  Notice I did not say the subs did not drop and they are also still fairly low.  

Shadows, Rise?

That's what you are working with? Ok.. dunno where to go with that "debate".

Story line can be done solo. Angmar and Esteldin, trestlebridge content to this day is group content when done at level. Same for end quest chains in Evindim, Misty, Rivendell, the spider quests in north Downs, Giant, troll caves. You know, all those quest chains nobody does because you can level past them through solo options?

• IRandomIRandom Member UncommonPosts: 15

Nope, Turbine doesn't "fix" anything but keeps on breaking it instead. I have recently tried to play a few of my old characters of different levels (as well as start a new one) after about a year long break:

- The PvE content is even easier than before, you can just solo almost everything regardless of your talent trees and gear.

- Because of this (as well as because Turbine can't add in new PvE content quickly enough or improve PvP content in a fun and meaningful way) there are barely any people left who still play it. Bree is a "ghost town" most of the time (except a few people silently idling next to auction house) with dead local chat, same goes for all other large "hubs", even on servers like Brandywine. It's much worse on other, less populated servers.

- Even with such a small population there are STILL small "hitches" (or "lag spikes" or whatever you can call them) which happen every few minutes. And yes, my connection is perfectly stable and I have absolutely no such issues in any other multiplayer game I play.

If you want a somewhat challenging MMORPG game with a "healthy" population during most of the day - look elsewhere.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    They need to improve low level dungeon group finding for me to comeback.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I've been playing since 2008 and still love LOTRO. However,  the game, for me , is all about story/lore/questing.  Yes, it is easy but I don't play it for much of a challenge. Being a huge Tolkien fan, the chance to play in the Middle Earth Universe is something I can't pass up. If you are not a Tolkien fan and/or prefer challenging combat and mechanics then I can understand not liking this game. 
  • I don't play lotro for the quests (blasphemy I know) but mostly for the pvp since I like playing an evil character and that tends to be lacking in mmo's today (not counting the newest ones my old laptop isn't able to run). If you sub you can log in with a monster character and get right to playing (you can play ftp also but I hear you have to purchase monster classes and pay for time played via the reward system but don't quote me on this as I've been a lifetimer for almost 7 years).

Because Turbine rewards the free person subbers with new and shiny toys to play with each expansion the pvp tends to be one-sided and make the pve even easier.

(although the latest expansion has finally swung this over to the monster side)

That said, the games seems busy (at least on BW) when I do take the time to log on the free side so I don't see this 'ghost town' another poster described.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by jeddak

I don't play lotro for the quests (blasphemy I know) but mostly for the pvp

Blasphemy!  :) ok, just kidding.

I'm against pvp in rpg's (I believe rpg's are all about cooperation and teamwork, just as the original p'n'p vision stated), but as I wrote earlier many times, the 'Moors was the only pvp implementation I really liked - at least at launch, later the pvp folks turned it into the same old, general killing-marathon sadly, ditching all the good stuff Turbine put in there. There are no strategy nowadays, no flanking, counter-attacks, diversion, any higher planning, just simply gathering up, and killing each other. But for that there's no need for a whole, detailed zone, pvp'ers could do the same within an empty arena as well...

Good ol' times when a unit marched out and attacked LC, with wrecking some havoc among the hobbits on the side (not me, even my creeps are hobbit-friends :) ). When the spy furries noticed the freeps are moving in, an another group went over and started to siege TR, drawing freeps as well. And then the main unit came out from Lugz and started to siege TA, with the same time letting freeps "winning" the other two locations (-> tactical retreat :) those became the second wave / reinforcement at TA). By the time the freeps got there, we're already throwed out the CG over the walls, flipping TA...

Btw, Ettenmoors is filled with quests, so PvMP'ing is not an excuse for skipping the questing part :) With some great writing, might I add, like the troll in TA: "Kill elf! Take ear! Food!" Where else can you find such a clear, elaborate essence of the overused "Kill 25 elves" quest type? It's almost art :)

If you sub you can log in with a monster character and get right to playing (you can play ftp also but I hear you have to purchase monster classes and pay for time played via the reward system but don't quote me on this as I've been a lifetimer for almost 7 years).

Freep pvp was the last subscriber perk, but even that is gone now, since U13 f2p players can purchase a pass to go into the Ettenmoors.

On the creep side the reaver is freely available for f2p'ers, the other creeps they can buy with a one-time purchase (costs the same like the warden and rune-keeper, and pretty often is on sale). The last time when I checked back to the "dark side" was exactly when Turbine made the reaver free for everyone - it was great fun. I mean, there was no change, still the plain and boring "run into each other and kill" pvp without any thinking or planning, but the massive horde of reavers made it fun to watch :) I saw 1 defiler and 1 warleader flipping an outpost, simply by using the newcomer f2p reaver horde as cannon fodder :)