Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just want to be Clear

DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231
In order to enjoy what "Alpha" has to offer it will cost me roughly $333 USD correct?

Comments

• DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231
    And I guess to add to this question, as far as I can tell its only cockpit view is that correct?

• I get $275 when I convert the price from Euros,. It's cockpit view only. They have enough funding, so I'd just go for normal preorder or preorder + expansions and enjoy a much bigger game when it reaches that stage.

Cockpit only ruins it for me. Will not purchase. Oh well. Any plans for freedom of view maybe?

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm an enormous fan of Elite: Dangerous (E-D)

Yes - it is £200 to be involved with the alpha (and to use the game thereafter), or £100 to be involved with the beta (and use the game thereafter).

However, I've bought the standard pre-order of £35 for when it comes out later this year. In addition, I've bought the £35 for every successive expansion that's released. That's a total of £70 for the 'gamma' release (and to use the game thereafter).

I'm extremely excited about E-D - I've never been so excited about a game before.

The above prices are nothing compared to the money that many supporters have given through Kickstarter. A few people have given thousands of pounds.

This is a triple-A game - it will be far too good to be F2P. The alpha testing is going extremely well.

Originally posted by Rdizzle
    Cockpit only ruins it for me. Will not purchase. Oh well. Any plans for freedom of view maybe?

According to PC Gamer, this game is the best example of Oculus Rift they have ever seen. Apparently, it's like you are really there - in your space ship.

Ya but I still want that freedom of view change for different "immersion" feelings if you know what I mean. Price isnt the issue for me its paying for what I want. Being able to see my ship in space means alot to me as im sure it does for others as well. Oh well gonna pass on this one. Maybe the option will be added later. Until then my friends game on!

Also man occulus rift is a VR headset. So is the game designed tp be used with that?

• You don't need OR to play it. They are sticking with first person flight mode for immersion so they have to avoid 3rd person sonce that would make 1st person obsolete.

Ya but I still want that freedom of view change for different "immersion" feelings if you know what I mean. Price isnt the issue for me its paying for what I want. Being able to see my ship in space means alot to me as im sure it does for others as well. Oh well gonna pass on this one. Maybe the option will be added later. Until then my friends game on!

There are 4 reasons for having a 3rd person perspective, and E-D does not fit into 3 of those 4 camps:

1) Motion sickness. E-D does not fit into this camp because it's a space sim - there is no horizon, so you shouldn't get sick.

2) Situational awareness. E-D has a brilliant 3D radar display, so this shouldn't be a problem. This is one characteristic for which Elite is famous for.

3) Primitive technology. For example, Eve Online has 3rd person perspective because when it was developed, creating an avatar in the cockpit wasn't an option. However, with E-D, now it is. In fact, you'll be able to get out of your ship and walk on planets. So the immersion for E-D should be much better than for Eve Online.

4) The final reason is to make films and put them on YouTube. This would be a fair point.

Also man occulus rift is a VR headset. So is the game designed tp be used with that?

Yes. E-D is designed for the Oculus Rift headset.

You don't have to use it. However, people who use a VR setup such as this are going to have an advantage. I'd be lying to you if I said otherwise.

In fact, the joystick in the cockpit matches most joysticks you can buy (there are options in the game so you can select the joystick you have) - so it really fools your brain into thinking that you are really there! 

Well it does look like am awesome game. Didnt realize you were ever able to leave your ship. Maybe I will give it a shot. Still would love to see 3rd person at some point.

Well it does look like am awesome game. Didnt realize you were ever able to leave your ship. Maybe I will give it a shot. Still would love to see 3rd person at some point.

Well... you won't be able to leave your ship and walk freely on planets in the first year - they are still making this expansion. 

Star Citizen will be released with this feature about 6 months or so before E-D.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

You will see 3rd Person at some Point. At least, kind of. What we get is atm called "Drones". Which, if im not totaly wrong, somewhat of an Flyby/outside look thing. That was mentioned in the Forums already. Still not yet in Alpha ofc, but later that feature will come for sure. Sadly i cant provide a link, so feel free to search the Elite: Dangerous Forums for that.

Backer Greetings,

Ilaya

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Yes. E-D is designed for the Oculus Rift headset.

You don't have to use it. However, people who use a VR setup such as this are going to have an advantage. I'd be lying to you if I said otherwise.

In fact, the joystick in the cockpit matches most joysticks you can buy (there are options in the game so you can select the joystick you have) - so it really fools your brain into thinking that you are really there! 

Yeah, using the hat on the flight stick will be no substitute for VR devices.  I expect a lot players to cry foul about it too.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Yes it will be a lot more natural (and more immersive) to track an enemy ship by moving your head than by moving the top hat on your stick. Though there have beeb suggestions of using a button press to autotrack a target, but that might not be a feature we'll see. They call this the "padlock" system on the official forums.

Bear in mind you'll be able to play the game fine without a Rift. The Rift wasn't supported in the initial combat alpha build, and the VR headset probably won't be ready (outside of limited dev kits) before the game comes out anyway.

But it looks like they're supporting the OR the right way instead of as an afterthought, which could be big for the game if it can manage to ride the VR hype wave.

Real problem is im sure this occulus device is going to br expensive as hell. It really will give advantages. Star citizen is starting to look like the better choice here. At least for me

• I would be extremely surprised if OR didn't get support in OR since it's a perfect match for that type of game, so you'll almost certainly face tge same problem there. They actually expect the OR to be cheap enough to become a commonplace gaming gadget. Certainly much cheaper than the triple monitor setup some enthusuasts are using for these types of games. It's rrumored they expect the price to be below $300 for the retail version of the Rift.

• SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Real problem is im sure this occulus device is going to br expensive as hell. It really will give advantages. Star citizen is starting to look like the better choice here. At least for me

Star Citizen is going to be mainly first person also, they will have third person but you will not have a hud so you will be at a disadvantage when in third person.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

SC will have Oculus support too. Basically any flight based game will offer an advantage to an oculus or track IR user.

I guess the point is those without the Rift or multi monitor setup being forced to play in 1st person are going to have a distinct disadvantage.

Honestly I think I like the idea of 1st person only however I still would love to see my ship in space a little immersive visual know what I mean?