Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boycott Pc Gamer Magazine

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

IT is simplr, they drive the market into on direction and never give mmo's their fair do. THe only mmorpg they care about is WoW. That is fine for WoW fans but there ar emillions of mmorpg players who don't play WoW .

Asheron's Call has released updates , PC Gamer Gamer ran 7  artcicle in 4 years.

Blizzard and WoW have gotten over 1000 articles.

IT is ridiclous how they think the entire mmo industry is WoW.

I beleive they need to be taught a lesson by boycotting the product.  I'm very passionate about mmorpgs and PC Gamer Magazine just doesn't get it when it comes to covering them.

Developers should do the same and refuse to interview with them as well. Pc GAmer will always put WoW first over any other mmorpg. It is sickening to see such a great magazine that used to be diverse in it's coverage to becoming a fan mag for Blizzard products.

I gotta say, I completely agree with you.  The only truth I see on PC Gamer is the "Saturday Crap Shoot".  Those are a freaking riot.

Also of note- their reviews for games (in example, Castlevania LoS2, Assassin's Creed Liberation) were just blarbs- barely three paragraphs. 

To be fair to PC Gamer, probably more than half of the MMO community still thinks WoW is the whole of the industry.  Everytime a new MMO is unveiled, the WoW comparisons (even if there are none) begin to be made.  Look at Wildstar- the only negative thing I have seen about Wildstar is that "it looks like WoW, it feels like Wow, WoW did it first, just play WoW".  It's pretty sad... I've never liked WoW.

Lately, PC Gamer has been running rampant articles about Dota, Day Z, and WoW. 

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61
    I miss Nintendo power...

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Big-Cronk
    I miss Nintendo power...

http://www.nintendopower.com/

r.i.p.

• ApocalypseSunriseApocalypseSunrise Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Big-Cronk
    I miss Nintendo power...

I miss the way Nintendo Power USE to be back in the 90's. Now that thing just looks so much like every other gaming magazine that it's not worth the paper its printed on.

Originality is where it's at.

Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Who the hell still buys gaming magazines? By the time it goes to press and makes it to the supermarket its easily a month out of date.

And PC Gamer mag is just, and always has been, the ass-end of PC gaming mags even when mags were selling.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/405917

Didn't like your poll results so started a new thread?

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Wow, really? Geez, it's almost as if a game with 12 million players warrants more coverage than one with under 10K on a good day. Can't imagine why they'd attempt to cater to the vast majority of the MMO player base like that.

/sarcasm

/facepalm

PC Gamer is crap but your reasoning is, quite honestly, incredibly silly.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Wow, really? Geez, it's almost as if a game with 12 million players warrants more coverage than one with under 10K on a good day. Can't imagine why they'd attempt to cater to the vast majority of the MMO player base like that.

/sarcasm

/facepalm

PC Gamer is crap but your reasoning is, quite honestly, incredibly silly.

If a game is not good, then they are kind of doing the player a favor and the game by not covering the game.

They are doing the player a favor by not lying to them saying this is something that amounts to whatever standard a majority holds.

And then doing the game a favor by not using that standard that the majority holds against the game and just saying bad things.

PC gamer is main stream. Its not about being fair. If a game is not popular enough then why would they comment on it? They are delivering commentary on products that are main stream or come from main stream sources, and use a standard based on that.

If PC gamer commented more on asherons call or whatever alternative even if i agree is a better game than wow... but is not as popular... how will that affect their revenue by covering something that does not pay the bills.

PC gamer can not create trends but rather follow them. So i think the OP is blaming the wrong group. The group he wants to blame is the majority consumer that empowers games he does not like to only make it profitable for magazines like PC gamer to report on.

Also asherons calls looks terrible. They might as well report on UO or other archaic games collecting dust on peoples shelves but apparently still live on servers with a dead population. Great games in their time, but some people move on, which means these games are not main stream, and is not worth reporting on... especially on a regular basis.

The fact that they even have more than one article on asherons call shows they are more fair that some claim to be ... imo.

And I personally agree wow is not my kind of game becuase it took them so long to put housing in, and will take them longer to put other things to make thier game better imo. Since its a gear grind or a grind to end game. Im not interested in the gear grind, and the exp grind to end game is not as rewarding as i would expect from a game thats been out for a decade.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

Let  me guess... by chance did pc gamer rate a game you worked on badly ?

yep thats what it looks like.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, I would normally not read a magazine called PC gamer, as I recall they are largely focused on single player games, so I stick with sites more along the line of.... well, MMORPG.com.

So I guess it won't be a problem to support the OP's boycott, but I suspect with my gaming tastes I was never their core audience, and they won't miss me.

But seriously, so what if they enjoy WOW, and push it the most, let them, plenty of other great places to get gaming news that might be a bit more diverse.

As for AC, what more really needs to be said other than.... R.I.P.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, I would normally not read a magazine called PC gamer, as I recall they are largely focused on single player games, so I stick with sites more along the line of.... well, MMORPG.com.

So I guess it won't be a problem to support the OP's boycott, but I suspect with my gaming tastes I was never their core audience, and they won't miss me.

But seriously, so what if they enjoy WOW, and push it the most, let them, plenty of other great places to get gaming news that might be a bit more diverse.

As for AC, what more really needs to be said other than.... R.I.P.

PC Gamer are keen gamers, they have guilds in several games, WoW, Eve online, GW2, not to mention they have a fairly heavy presence in Wurm online and Minecraft. imo, the OP's premise is a bit daft, not sure why would even care about the whole Asherons call thing, the game is ancient, has very low interest among players generally, so why should there be thousands of articles about it? They cover mainstream games, and while the information they release is generally at least a month out of date, its at least interesting, and if they do call a game out for some reason, or mark them down in the ratings, its usually for a good reason. Would have to have a genuine reason for calling for a boycott, rather than just some petty peeve image