Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen in not an mmo..so why,

Aegis30Aegis30 Member Posts: 5

So why is it on MMORPG?  Even the devs say it's not an mmo.  It will be heavily instanced, and combat will be more a team deathmatch, than open world.  You can even turn pvp totally off if you like.

Just not quite sure why this game is posted here.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Citizen

Comments

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    People talk about DOTA and LOL on here too. I don't get it either.
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    As long as it is online, have multiplayer it's on this site. Heck even CS:S/GO/vanilla could be in here too.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by yaminsux
    As long as it is online, have multiplayer it's on this site. Heck even CS:S/GO/vanilla could be in here too.

Is the site called MMORPG or multiplayer online rpg?

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     They review RPG's too. Honestly there is very little active MMO stuff going on most of the time. Right before a big game launches it gets crazy of course but honestly it can be months at a time on site with very little to discuss about new games.
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    Originally posted by yaminsux

Is the site called MMORPG or multiplayer online rpg?

Ah lol this one is slow on detecting sarcasm. Ok obligatory /sarcasm...

they you go.

As far as the name goes, the founder (w/e his name was) couldnt give a rats ass whatever goes down in here as long as the ads keeps coming.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    the site is 10+ years old and it's community has grown to the point where people here want more info on what's happening in the gaming world from this site. The site is accommodating it's fans....or inmates...whatever you call us.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Aegis30

So why is it on MMORPG?  Even the devs say it's not an mmo.  It will be heavily instanced, and combat will be more a team deathmatch, than open world.  You can even turn pvp totally off if you like.

You must feel really strongly about this subject to have made it your 5th post in your 7 years here.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

There are a lot more games on here that are even more instanced than SC will be. Games like Diablo3 and various clones for example.

Even a couple of games that started out as mmorpgs have become heavily instanced.

You could argue about what a mmorpg is, I for one don't think that instancing disqualifies a game for being an mmorpg. But ultimately it doesn't matter, since people want to discuss the game on this site.

• Lots of non-MMOs and non-RPGs on this site. No sure exactly why (maybe because money?), but that's the way it is. SC at least will probably feel a little like an MMO, which can't be said about some games here.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    These threads are what are irritating. Not the games being discussed.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Mmorpg is to mmo as square is to rectangle.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

OP:  SC is an MMO. There will be plenty of people role playing in the game. MMO + RPG = MMORPG.

Quoted from the same site you linked:

Genre:

Space Trading/Combat Simulator

Game modes:

Single-player, multiplayer (Private servers), massive multiplayer (Official server).

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Most of the games featured on this site aren't MMOs. They're here because more comments equals more money. Very simple.

Also, Star Citizen is more of an MMO than say, SWTOR.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    the site is 10+ years old and it's community has grown to the point where people here want more info on what's happening in the gaming world from this site. The site is accommodating it's fans....or inmates...whatever you call us.

Arm chair warriors ready to save the day.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

I went to a website called TODAY and all the news and stories were about things that happened YESTERDAY!! WTF!!

Sincerely,

Mr. Literal

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

1) does the game have an online only mode? Yes, the Persistent Universe is online only.

2) does it support massive amount of playes? Yes, All players play in the same "shard" like in EVE.

3) is the game persistent, meaning the world exist even when you are not connected and your character is also persistent, meaning it has an identity, location it is etc.? Yes, there are no games that end ala Call of Duty, the Universe is always on, 24/7.

anyone still doubt this game is not an MMO? What the heck more would you want to define it as that?

what this game is NOT is a CRPG, like the Neverwinter series, baldur's gate or Skyrim.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Originally posted by Volkmar

Yes, All players play in the same "shard" like in EVE.

I believe this is a misleading statement.  As I understand, the number of players that can directly interact in Star Citizen will be capped around 60 or 120 (unless design plans changed)?  Eve allows many thousands of players to take part in the same battle.  The above statement would only be true if any player could potentially go anywhere any other player is at any given time.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Originally posted by Phaserlight

I believe this is a misleading statement.  As I understand, the number of players that can directly interact in Star Citizen will be capped around 60 or 120 (unless design plans changed)?  Eve allows many thousands of players to take part in the same battle.  The above statement would only be true if any player could potentially go anywhere any other player is at any given time.

It is not misleading in the least.

ALL players are in the same server. If there is a /whisper command, you can talk with anyone out there you know by handle. Of course you cannot put all the players in the same physical space, that is nothing new and most MMO do not allow this either.

Also player actions will affect everyone else out there. Buy enough of X and the price of X will rise for everyone.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    These threads are what are irritating. Not the games being discussed.

You know you can just ignore threads like this right? I mean don't even click on it if it's going to irritate you.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by RefMinor

You must feel really strongly about this subject to have made it your 5th post in your 7 years here.

hahahahaha....niiice one :P

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

I don't really care much about SC, as this post was just on the home page. If you're curious as to the requirements this site has for a game to be listed, they can be found on the site's FAQs (though admittedly, I found them in their "How do I submit this game to be added," sort of question); if someone has a better page, please link that =)

The important bits are these, #2-5 on the list:

"

• The game should have the capability to support at least 500 congruent users on a single server. This is not a reflection of the game's current subscriber count, but rather reflects the capabilities of a game's technology.
    • The game must include some form of common area where players can interact with one another inside of the persistent game world. This excludes lobby and chat room based interaction. Exceptions are made where logical (such as sports MMOs) that still fit within the spirit of what an MMO is.
    • The game must make use of persistent characters. This means that you should be able to log in after logging out and find your character as advanced as you left them (or more).
    • The game must contain some form of advancement.
    "

I'm sure they make exceptions for big games as well, especially if it does attract a large portion of interest from the user base.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

[...]

ALL players are in the same server. If there is a /whisper command, you can talk with anyone out there you know by handle. Of course you cannot put all the players in the same physical space, that is nothing new and most MMO do not allow this either.

Also player actions will affect everyone else out there. Buy enough of X and the price of X will rise for everyone.

Seeing a player's Avatar rendered on screen in the same digital space and chatting with the player are not the same thing.  Affecting another player indirectly through economic means and firing weaponry at the player are not the same thing.  I can chat with other players playing Tetris through IRC, but I wouldn't compare Tetris with Eve.  You could have compared SC to WoW or a host of other popular MMOs, but you picked Eve which is notable because it allows all players to congregate in the same physical space should they so choose (same thing with Vendetta Online, actually).  The server might become impacted, but this is very different from a game that splits players into phases or instances.  Writing that Star Citizen will allow players to play together "like in EVE" is misleading.

edit: I'm not trying to anti-hype here, and I realize the game is a ways from being released.  However, it seems like you are implying things similar to the battle of B-R5RB will be possible in Star Citizen as planned.  Is this the case?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Thanks for informing me of this. I saw this game on the game list here, and assumed it was a MMO, because of that alone.

But it isnt.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

[...]

Seeing a player's Avatar rendered on screen in the same digital space and chatting with the player are not the same thing.  Affecting another player indirectly through economic means and firing weaponry at the player are not the same thing.  I can chat with other players playing Tetris through IRC, but I wouldn't compare Tetris with Eve.  You could have compared SC to WoW or a host of other popular MMOs, but you picked Eve which is notable because it allows all players to congregate in the same physical space should they so choose (same thing with Vendetta Online, actually).  The server might become impacted, but this is very different from a game that splits players into phases or instances.  Writing that Star Citizen will allow players to play together "like in EVE" is misleading.

edit: I'm not trying to anti-hype here, and I realize the game is a ways from being released.  However, it seems like you are implying things similar to the battle of B-R5RB will be possible in Star Citizen as planned.  Is this the case?

I mentioned EVE and not WoW because WoW has multiple servers and EVE does not. Star Citizen also has a single Server so it is more similar in my mind to that than a more traditional multiple server approach. ESO uses the same approach as well or a similar one.

you might notice I said "Play in the same shard" not " play all together in the same place". We still do not know exactly how SC will handle massive amount of players in the same place. We know instances are involved, but if these are copies of the same map or instead dynamic areas resizing themselves depending on number of players or something else is unknown, but yes... You can meet any player ever that is playing the game assuming he is online, you find where in the universe he is and you put him on your list of persons of interests. Few other MMO can claim as much even if cross server techologoy is growing nowadays.

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Ofcourse this game is a massive multiplayer online roleplaying game.

As for instancing, well every game has instances. They just call it "servers" or zones" or "instances". No game can ever fit all players into the same spot, unless its sold to very few people.

As for the instance size, they simply have said that they are working on the number of people in each instance. Without promising too much like some other games constantly do. 

Love it or hate it - It does not matter, the game is funded and whatever your opinion is this is one of few games where we know they will be open for decades after the game has launched.

Not many other games can promise us that!