Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam DRM Question

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

With Steam, they have the feature to "add games." I have a question about this feature.

Does this make the games' DRM added this way no longer require the discs?

For example:
Say I have Morrowind and Oblivion on discs. If I add these 2 games to Steam, do I still need to pop in the discs in order to play?

Thanks for your input :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    If it's a non-steam game, then it just adds the game/icon to your library so you can launch it via Steam and, maybe, have the steam overlay work and show your steam friends what game you are playing.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    If it's a non-steam game, then it just adds the game/icon to your library so you can launch it via Steam and, maybe, have the steam overlay work and show your steam friends what game you are playing.

Right.  It will not change the way the DRM of the game works or doesn't work.  If you need the discs to play the game now, launching the game from Steam will not change that.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Ah... Thanks :)

Since I am not really interested in playing "through Steam", I'll just my popping in my discs :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Ah... Thanks :)

Since I am not really interested in playing "through Steam", I'll just my popping in my discs :)

Some keys for games that require a Disc do actually register with Steam I have done this for a few titles. Just makes it more easy to keep my games up to date plus no need to use the Disc as I can download and install the games via steam.

They do not do this with all games but a good amount of games do work this way from what I have found.