Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen and The Repopulation: The Perfect MMO?

OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

So been looking at these two games and it hit me today -- would not a system that combines The Repopulation for world building and colonization with Star Citizen for space travel and economy be the perfect MMO?  I know Star Citizen just announced that they are looking into procedural planets and world exploration, but would not setting up colonization and planetside cities and economies, mixed with an interstellar economy be fantastic? 

People keep talking about bringing back SWG, but I see Star Citizen just missing this one element -- EVE's Dust was just a planetside combat system.  How about real interstellar world building?

Comments

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

If we can do medieval combat on the planet surface, then absolutely.

but absolutely NO FUCKING ZOMBIES

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• Jaychi72Jaychi72 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by semantikron

If we can do medieval combat on the planet surface, then absolutely.

but absolutely NO FUCKING ZOMBIES

^  ZOMBIES!

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

THERE WILL NEVER BE A PERFECT MMORPG IN GENERAL :) never. Even if there was 100M people playing it, another thousands and thousands people would just post hate topics all over the place ..

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    If star citizen fails all hell will break loose, just think about the amount of money that players have pumped into this game.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Anything you mix up with vaporware will result in...vaporware :)

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Anything you mix up with vaporware will result in...vaporware :)

Not sure you know what vaporware is...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No. There is no such thing as the "perfect" MMO since fun is subjective and different players like different things.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Elite: Dangerous is my perfect MMORPG: http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

I'm a bittervet, and yet I've never been so excited about a game in my life   :o)

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
    If star citizen fails all hell will break loose, just think about the amount of money that players have pumped into this game.

My prediction is that it will ultimately fail because everyone who cares about the game is already investing in the game and there will be few left for it to make a profit off of. I think a lot of those invested won't really like the game anyway as a lot of the funding is just pure hype from the potentiality and not reality.

• Originally posted by Mors.Magne
    Elite: Dangerous is my perfect MMORPG: http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

I'm a bittervet, and yet I've never been so excited about a game in my life   :o)

Well, like Star Citizen, Elite is not an MMORPG. Looking pretty good, though, and it will probably feel a lot like an MMO due to the massive seamless universe (even if you can't be hundreds of people in the same area without being divided into dynamic "instances") but without the RPG. :)
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Ortwig

So been looking at these two games and it hit me today -- would not a system that combines The Repopulation for world building and colonization with Star Citizen for space travel and economy be the perfect MMO?  I know Star Citizen just announced that they are looking into procedural planets and world exploration, but would not setting up colonization and planetside cities and economies, mixed with an interstellar economy be fantastic? 

People keep talking about bringing back SWG, but I see Star Citizen just missing this one element -- EVE's Dust was just a planetside combat system.  How about real interstellar world building?

Yep think so.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by alakram
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Yep think so.

Star Citizen isn't just space, the repopulation would be too much of a drag on the game anyway, especially as it has yet to prove its a viable game.image

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

My prediction is that it will ultimately fail because everyone who cares about the game is already investing in the game and there will be few left for it to make a profit off of. I think a lot of those invested won't really like the game anyway as a lot of the funding is just pure hype from the potentiality and not reality.

Yeah, I suspect that Roberts is just making up new stretch goals with the idea that maybe they'll be able to do them  in three or four years.  Maybe.  But in the meantime, he's got the money.  Backers of the game better hope the team he's putting together is real good, because he's not the genius they (or he) thinks he is.   But the campaign is a Hollywood special effect of  Barnum-esque levels.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well as others have said there will never be a perfect mmorpg for everyone it just cant happen..

Saying that The Repopulation devs have mentioned that space exploration might be an addition in the future.. :)

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

There's a well known effect where a game gets called perfect prior to release because of what it might be, which barometrically indicates let down after release (this isn't always the case, but I've seen it happen more than once).

Vendetta Online is my game of choice because of what it has to offer today, and hasn't left me with any need to look elsewhere and wait for the "perfect" game.  To me, the perfect game is the one I've been playing the last ten years:

www.vendetta-online.com

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Star Citizen is not MMO ! it is SP game + MP+co-op
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

It's similar to Guild Wars 1 and Phantasy Star Online, only in space.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

So? We can always change the MMO classification to include it.

The important question is .. is it a good game?

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

It's similar to Guild Wars 1 and Phantasy Star Online, only in space.

There will be ground features at launch and combat as well.....