Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pc Gamer Magazine (Poll)

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Let me guess. Your game(s) was rated poorly by PC Gamer. Or the game you hate was rated highly.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

PC Gamer's review of Spiral Knights had about as many howling factual errors as it had paragraphs, in spite of being relatively light on factual claims.  It also made it pretty obvious that the reviewer had jumped into the game without knowing what to expect, played for about an hour, not understood what was going on, and then stopped to write the review.  So no, one shouldn't expect quality reviews from them.

It's one thing to disagree with a game's score.  It's quite another for a review to be wildly wrong on factual matters.  A review of WoW that calls it a sandbox game that mostly revolves around raiding in parties of seven players and has a level cap of 75 is not a quality review, no matter what score the review gives the game.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I haven't bought a gaming magazine in years now.

I always end up reading two or three interesting articles and then the magazine winds up gathering dust before finally vanishing into the garbage.

Not really worth it when I can cherrypick the games I want to read about on the internet.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Are you talking site or the magazine?  

Cause the mag is awesome and they actually break news with in-depth articles you don't find elsewhere.  This is also known as journalism.

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

Lets examine this video :

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/13/the-elder-scrolls-online-video-preview-a-quick-dungeon-tour/

The fact that the veiwer never checked barrels books shelves and othe rlootables, and trying their hardest to make the dugeon look as linear as possible... just seems suspect to me...

So you are taking issue with a scripted run through review by PC Gamer, I belive the game was still under NDA when they posted the article.  Also the game is still in beta. 

Why would anyone check barrels and shelves when in previous Elder Scrolls game all that was ever in them was junk?

Finally if the reviewer doesn't like the game are they supposed to lie to you and tell you how great it is against thier own feelings?

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I used to subscribe back in the mid 90s.  Their reviews have always been spot on.  But I admit they seem to have gone down hill recently.  Some lazy write ups , too much reliance on Steam (though I guess they get exclusives from Valve), and the website seems bugged as in I still can't post after logging in and last time I did successfully post it put someone else's name on the post.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    With the internet freely available at my finger tips, I really can't justify buying a magazine of any subject,  as to gaming magazines including most online magazines including this site, they are paid and or biased with most reviews.  Best reviews are word of mouth imo.
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Lets examine this video :

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/13/the-elder-scrolls-online-video-preview-a-quick-dungeon-tour/

The fact that the veiwer never checked barrels books shelves and othe rlootables, and trying their hardest to make the dugeon look as linear as possible... just seems suspect to me...

I see your point, the idiot that reviewed this was negative from the start. 

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404
    Have not bought a magazine since electronic gaming monthly was disconinued, and the last two issues for my sub were replaced with maxim. Magazines are just a series of ads with a few articles getting in the way. Kinda like how the Olympic coverage was this year. Not worth my time. 
  • kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Is Pc Gamer Magazine completely  full of crap?

I really wish you had given us choices other than agreeing with you.  PC Gamer may not be exactly what I want in a magazine about games, but at least they are still being published and I find most of their reviews well thought out (even if I disagree with them).  I have no clue what they did to piss you off, but I really think you need to get over it.