Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Wildstar Make Starting Area/Tutorial Optional?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
ESO just did. I pray that Wildstar will follow suit. This starter area/tutorial nonsense is a game killer.
"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Wildstar should make the entire leveling path optional.  Its horrible quest hub hoping

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I would be fine if they made it optional but I have done the tutorial 4 times and by the the 4th time I finished it in 20 minutes, so it is not that bad.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by vtravi
    I would be fine if they made it optional but I have done the tutorial 4 times and by the the 4th time I finished it in 20 minutes, so it is not that bad. 

Yeah the tutorial area goes by very quick. And you have 2 choices of starting zones on the planet which lead to different subsequent zones.

• JaelisJaelis Member UncommonPosts: 4

A "game killer"?  Seriously?  People need to come back to reality.  This sense of entitlement ("Give me what I want now, I deserve it!") is getting out of hand.

30 minutes of tutorial out of the hundreds of possible game-play hours is a "game killer"...  Hah!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Jaelis

A "game killer"?  Seriously?  People need to come back to reality.  This sense of entitlement ("Give me what I want now, I deserve it!") is getting out of hand.

30 minutes of tutorial out of the hundreds of possible game-play hours is a "game killer"...  Hah!

Right, I'm the entitlement gamer image lol

I don't know man I hate questing so much, forced fetch and kill quest even more.  I'm what you could call a "Freedom gamer." There might be something there with WS. I'll never know though if I'm forced to do those terrible pointless quests to progress. 

Tired design is tired design. Don't compound it by sticking people in a claustrophobic tutorial/starting area.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Wildstar does suffer the same way ESO does in that the first two areas are kinda tedious and constricted.

Skipping the first zones in each would be nice for those repeating the start,but those zones are so short in each it wouldn't be a deal breaker to not be able to skip in either.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Yes, because everyone knows how forgiving and patient Americans are.  I'm sure they'll happily grind through hours of boring intro content.  I mean I've never heard anyone talk about how they quit WoW in the first 20 levels.

• EnglefieldEnglefield Member UncommonPosts: 22

Is this really a good idea to pander such demands before the game has even launched? Just my opinion here but If there is something wrong with the starter areas surely it would be better to actually fix the problem, rather than allowing players to skip the whole area to hide hide the issues with a magic button.

What happens when players start leveling alts and the other areas begin to get monotonous? 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by reeereee

Yes, because everyone knows how forgiving and patient Americans are.  I'm sure they'll happily grind through hours of boring intro content.  I mean I've never heard anyone talk about how they quit WoW in the first 20 levels.

I would rather spend 3 hours dying trying to get out the Gloria Victus pre-alpha first town surroundings. 

I would much rather be running around Elwynn forest.  

These guided one way or quit the game tutorials are terrible ideas.

• JaelisJaelis Member UncommonPosts: 4

Define "freedom gamer".  Is that the concept of an open world that you can explore and do what you want to level?  Like in ESO?  Where you run around to areas and...pick up quests...to level?  How does skipping a short noob tutorial area help?

I'm really not trying to rag on you.   It's your opinion, and I respect that.  I just don't understand what the problem is.  If they want to make it optional, I'm all for it.  We should certainly encourage it as variety is a wonderful thing.  I just don't see why it's a required option, simply because ESO is doing it.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

agreed with op, the starting zones sucks after awhile.

hope they remove them or enable ability to beeing able to.

• kayze68kayze68 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by bcbully

Right, I'm the entitlement gamer image lol

I don't know man I hate questing so much, forced fetch and kill quest even more.  I'm what you could call a "Freedom gamer." There might be something there with WS. I'll never know though if I'm forced to do those terrible pointless quests to progress. 

Tired design is tired design. Don't compound it by sticking people in a claustrophobic tutorial/starting area.

Yea I feel the same way tbh. I was hyped for Wildstar but then the questing was soooo boring. It was 80% kill this and collect that. Then rinse and repeat in new zone. It was just tedius. I liked the combat, but I couldn't bring myself to level anymore due to the "finish this zone, on to the next, and so on."

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Jaelis A "game killer"?  Seriously?  People need to come back to reality.  This sense of entitlement ("Give me what I want now, I deserve it!") is getting out of hand. 30 minutes of tutorial out of the hundreds of possible game-play hours is a "game killer"...  Hah!
    Right, I'm the entitlement gamer  lol

If you dont like questing then dont play a game whos leveling process is primarily based on questing. No game serves all audiences. As others have stated the TUTORIAL takes 30 minutes, and the first zone on the planet which is more of an advanced tutorial takes about 2 hours or less. After that the world opens up significantly and once you get to your teens and you have housing and pvp and dungeons etc its even more open.

This is how all games should be designed, easy to start and difficult to master. An easy start means it should be a simple start. Dont overwhelm the player but ease them into the game and its mechanics.