Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cash Shops aren't inherently unbalanced. It's the Whales.

GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I was recently chatting up Marvel Heroes forums and brought up topics about including "VIP" membership and selling these 150$~~ "bundles" that include tons of items. I noticed that most of the players don't spend much/any in the cash shops but then we have these players chucking over 2000$ into the cash shops (Whales) and not even feeling shy about it.

2000$ for a game that's a year old equals 167$ PER MONTH => (6$~~ a day)

So once you see a single article in the cash shop that gives any benefit ingame you have to be prepared that someone is constantly using that item even if it seems way overpriced for you.

I guess my point is this:

1) Support F2P games that don't offer OP/P2W items in their cash shops.

2) Support P2P games that don't offer OP/P2W items in their cash shops.

3) Support B2P games that don't offer OP/P2W items in their cash shops.

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

No matter how cash rich you it is my opinion that a 2k drop on Marvel heroes is a total waste of money.

The problem is there is no standards when it comes to F2P games and what the developer can do with the cash shop. I myself prefer P2P or hybrid sub models like Planetside 2.

In P2P everyone can play on the same field its just time and skill that seperates them.

Whaling is what supports the F2P model and its a barbaric practice.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Wicoa

No matter how cash rich you are I see a 2k drop on Marvel heroes as a total waste of money.

The problem is there is no standards when it comes to F2P games and what the developer can do with the cash shop. I myself prefer P2P or hybrid sub models like Planetside 2.

In P2P everyone can play on the same field its just time and skill that seperates them.

Not really.

Even when everything was still P2P you had RMT services offering powerleveling and gold.

Those who are lazy and have deep pockets will always find a way to gain some advantage.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    It is sad but on the browser game League of angels run by GTArcade i know someone who spent their WHOLE tax return..a whopping 3.8k on the game. His reason "to be the best player on the server" my reasoning with a cash shop is "if you like the game support it but dont spend a stupid amount on it"

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Whales should be demanding more for their money.  including so called p2w items.  A paying customer is more important than one that doesn't pay a cent.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

Why does it bother you how much someone spends. I don't know that i'll ever get this.  If it's a P2P that adopts a cs model on top of it I understand the frustration with that.  Going into a f2p and complaining about how much people spend, I won't.  You knew it was f2p when you started. You should know exactly what that means. Some shops are run better than others. Can understand people raising a fuss about that. But caring about who spends what in a f2p.  People are willing to pay big money for virtual items. Only thing that's kept me from spending money in a lot of cash shops is the lottery system. loathe it.  I acknowledge though it's probably a huge money maker for developers and will probably never go away.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Hulluck

Why does it bother you how much someone spends. I don't know that i'll ever get this.  If it's a P2P that adopts a cs model on top of it I understand the frustration with that.  Going into a f2p and complaining about how much people spend, I won't.  You knew it was f2p when you started. You should know exactly what that means. Some shops are run better than others. Can understand people raising a fuss about that. But caring about who spends what in a f2p.  People are willing to pay big money for virtual items. Only thing that's kept me from spending money in a lot of cash shops is the lottery system. loathe it.  I acknowledge though it's probably a huge money maker for developers and will probably never go away.

A lot of people will never be ok with pay-to-win options in a competitive game for obvious reasons. A game should never be about who's dominating with money. Kind of takes the gaming competitiveness out of it don't you think?

The truth is there will always be somebody able to gain an unfair advantage wether it be with too much free time to advance or having more cash to spend. IMO neither should be a factor in a purely competitive game. You are suppose to have an advantage based on your ability to play vs another opponant. Not because you have no life and can grind 14 hours a day or able to spend 2k in a cash shop. That's why FPS games offer the best competitive environment if we discount all the cheating going on.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Everything revolves around the definition of 'pay-to-win'.

I can drop a lot of cash on a game, but I don't support any game where you could actually buy advantages in the shop. That ceases to be a game, and becomes just a vicious cycle of outspending each other.

But some people seem to think that everything that provides benefits/convenience is 'P2W', which isn't true.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I was recently chatting up Marvel Heroes forums and brought up topics about including "VIP" membership and selling these 150$~~ "bundles" that include tons of items. I noticed that most of the players don't spend much/any in the cash shops but then we have these players chucking over 2000$ into the cash shops (Whales) and not even feeling shy about it.

2000$ for a game that's a year old equals 167$ PER MONTH => (6$~~ a day)

You're metering out your cash based on an arbitrary per day limit. I doubt the guy at a club in the VIP box with the bottle of Dom or the sports fanatic that buys a $10,000 autographed Topps card is looking at their entertainment the same way you do.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

As long as there are people willing to be harpooned, B2P and F2P games will still plague the MMO genre. Nothing we can do can change that, it's up to all the players collectively, not a single individual.

If someone feels it's worth it, they will spend the money on it.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

just to throw this in to prospective. the point of this game is pvp. for 200 bucks you can buy wings/outfit/angel/rings/armor/weapon that add a total of 9k to all stats where a free member gets a 7k cap add that 9k to the companions and they can basicly kill people without trying.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by jircris

just to throw this in to prospective. the point of this game is pvp. for 200 bucks you can buy wings/outfit/angel/rings/armor/weapon that add a total of 9k to all stats where a free member gets a 7k cap add that 9k to the companions and they can basicly kill people without trying.

I get it. I've played games like that.  If they've been using that type of cs model from the start and it works, Why would they change it? Why would you expect them to either?   They have a playerbase large enough who support it and like it.  I wasn't trying to be rude. You don't have to spend your money with them. They don't owe you, me, or anyone else anything. If you don't like what they do with their product don't support them. That's the best thing that you can do. Telling them to change won't do anything. You aren't their target audience.