It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I believe that if Dark Age of Camelot was updated to a current graphics engine, keeping the game play the way it is, I think it would be a top MMORPG.
1. DAoC has a great class system where each one of the 3 factions have different classes and races. That is very unique, and I think that by keeping the classes/races different in each realm, you create a sense of realm pride. Plus, it was difficult to tell who you were fighting against, since you were not immediately familiar with the enemies spells and skills.
2. Darkness Falls is a great pvp dungeon where, if you command the pvp area, you had access to Darkness Falls. No other MMORPG has created such a unique dungeon.
3. DAoC has a great housing system, where it was in an instanced village, but once you crossed into the village, it felt like a real residential area. The houses are very cool. You are able to decorate your homes with trophy kills, furniture, and other goodies. Plus, you could put a vendor out front to sell you stuff. Players would run around town from vendor to vendor, to find items they were looking for. It was a nice alternative to an auction house.
4. DAoC has great lore. Midgard is the Nordic area, filled with all the Norse mythology. Followed by HIbernia, Ireland mythology, and lastly, Albion, which is the English area and mythology.
5. DAoc has a nice little system where you started out as a minor class, such as Seer. At level 10, you made a choice of which advanced class you would want to continue with. It is a nice little touch, and allows you to get a feel for the class before you make your big decision.
Unfortunately, the graphics are dated and I believe that DAoC just had some bad luck in timing. The game was thriving, but World of Warcraft released, and took a lot of DAoC subscribers away for a while, which made the servers feel empty at the time. But when those subscribers eventually returned to DAoC, it was never the same game. The game relied on large numbers fighting in RvR. But because the people trickled back, the game never got back their population. DAoC started merging servers and it snowballed downhill from there. But I think that if this game was ever to be revived, it would kick ass. People would come back in droves to play true 3 realm pvp, the way it was meant to be played. They created it the right way.