Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard Cap MMO or Soft Cap MMO?

1.LEVELING

Hard Cap:

Has a big level cap.(for example level 100.)

OR AND

Takes more time to get there.

Soft Cap:

Has a small level cap.(for example level 10.)

OR AND

Takes less time to get there.

2.ACQUIRING GEAR

Hard Cap:

Takes more time. (naturally it's easy.)

Soft Cap:

Takes less time. (naturally it's hard.)

PLEASE VOTE

BE NICE

Comments

• Both of those I would call hard-capped. I'm not sure why getting gear would be harder or easier depending on where the level cap is, as that is independent of the level cap. Not sure what to vote here.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Not going to vote between two silly made-up categories.  And creating alt accounts to support an idea nobody finds interesting does not create the impression that the idea is catching on, it does the opposite.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I don't think those are different.

A hard cap can be level 5 or level 1000. Doesn't matter how long it takes to get there.

I'm not sure exactly what wold constitute a "soft cap" but it would probably not only have a vertical leveling system but also a rather robust horizontal leveling system so that even though one hit the "top level" that isn't the pinnacle of achievement.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162

This doesn't make sense

A hard cap simply means that a cap is absolute while a soft cap means that after a certain point there is diminishing returns for going past it.

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• Originally posted by Palazious
    This doesn't make senseA hard cap simply means that a cap is absolute while a soft cap means that after a certain point there is diminishing returns for going past it.
    This is how I see it, too.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I don't think these words mean what you think they mean.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

( er ... nevermind ... sort of off-topic )

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Hard cap means there's a stopping point.

Soft cap means it goes on forever, but it gets so slow at the end you basically never get everything possible unless you are constantly trying to achieve it.

What you mentioned are both hard cap.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Not going to vote between two silly made-up categories.  And creating alt accounts to support an idea nobody finds interesting does not create the impression that the idea is catching on, it does the opposite.

Quite so.  These nit-picking terms may appeal to nerds, but really we have no use for them at all.  No-one has the same views on what constitutes "soft" or "hard" game mechanics anyway, even just looking at the few posts already in this thread

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I think what we're comparing is skill versus endurance leveling.

SKILL - the difficulty is based on a player having sufficient skill to complete a task.

ENDURANCE - the difficulty is based on a player enduring the boredom of repetitive activity to complete a task.

The key difference is that endurance leveling can be done by any player regardless of skill level, if they continue without giving up (think mindless grind).

On the other side.  Skill takes... well... skill.  It is not achievable by brute force determination to overcome boredom.

Interesting question.  I hope I understood the concept correctly.  I don't understand the "soft cap" versus "hard cap" terminology.  I've seen MMOExposed talk about it, but I can't make sense of how it applies.

• HermodHermod Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Palazious

A hard cap simply means that a cap is absolute while a soft cap means that after a certain point there is diminishing returns for going past it.

This

This discussion has been closed.