Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I fear this game wil crash:

13»

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Actually the average age of players playing and loving story based immersive mmos is much higher then the action based MMOs...  I think in a lore filled world like lotro the average age of players is above 30... Its a very mature society. 

and the best thing about mature players, they dont care to pay a sub, if it keeps the immature power gamers away...

Older =/= more mature.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Actually the average age of players playing and loving story based immersive mmos is much higher then the action based MMOs...  I think in a lore filled world like lotro the average age of players is above 30... Its a very mature society. 

and the best thing about mature players, they dont care to pay a sub, if it keeps the immature power gamers away...

Older =/= more mature.

Thats very true....

but currently both TSW as LOTRO have an older respectfull fun community.  Both games have one thing in common with ESO, they are story and lore heavy..

from my experience i expect the younger more action oriented gamers and hardcore gamers to find a home ( if they ever find one)  in more action based games like wildstar...   And the somewhat older more mature gamer that has interest in the things ESO has to offer might stick with this game for a very long time..

there will allways be an exodus... Espescially on PCs...  But on consoles where this might be the first mmo for many, there are no real alternatives, and people may stick to their first MMO much longer..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Mr_C

Boring. 90% of the MMO games are played by 18+, but the games are catering players at age 12?? I really don't get it. The genre seems to be unable to grow mature as the players grow older.

And this, sirs, is the biggest problem with the actual mmorpg gaming industry. Very well put, /clap

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Greetings folks.

First off I would start off with that I have anticipated such a a game like this since Morrowind was released AND that I have no inention of breakin any NDA about the game. If so, I am real sorry cause that is not my intention here

Now that the game is soon released, I have my doubts this will be a success, actually fearing it will crash & burn like SW-TOR did (like I said before it's release, despise being flamed by every fanboi on this planet).

Reason I think, which are the worst to fix, are that first and foremost the animations are so horrible and out of contact with the foe you fight, it is directly horrible. So much money into a game, then you feel you are waving into the mid air with your weapons. No. A huge stumbling step.

This is the only point I'd agree with you on.  The animations are quite weak in some areas, but I wouldn't consider it a reason to not play the game at this point.

Next problem for the game is that it has overwhelming amount of items with very little room to store items for tradeskills. This is very frustrating, especially when you're new to the game and have no idea what items to keep or not.

Completely disagree.  You have plenty of bag space, and you'll continue to be able to hold more as you progress.  Plus, there are banks, which will help you do this.  Sorry that you can't hold five billion pounds worth of items on your character.

Third problem is that the leveling progress feels tedious and boring. Playing like a mad to get to level 7, with quest having very little information what to do or where to go. Absolutely boring. As I player I need feel like having a progress, ESO does not give me this.

I never once felt bored while questing, and I was playing the Daggerfall Covenant side, which is considered pretty weak in quest and story by most reviewers.  ESO had done really well in trying to eliminate typical quests from their MMO.  You actually have to read them though.

Fourth problem for me was when I realized one of the boats ingame that is a vital part of a quest line, suddenly were at 2 places. I shook my head and it ruined my immersion completely. To avoid breaking any EULA or whatever, I refrain from naming the boats name.

You might have to clarify this.  I don't know what alliance you chose to play.  But based on your previous comments, I am very skeptical.

Fifth problem is the user inteface. To say it's bad, is a compliment. It is as bad, or not even worse, than Darkfall's. At least I knew the company behind Darkfall are some real lousy programmers, so to me seeing that a game like ESO having as bad user interface as Darkfall was a huge negative surprise to me.

I've played Darkfall 1.0 and after the relaunch.  ESO's user interface is a million times better.  Not only is it more attractive, the big reason it is so much better is because it is so much faster.  Darkfall's UI was horrible before and after the change.  I honestly do no see how you can even compare the two.

My first BETA test weekend was a nice experience, where I was mostly fiddling with creating characters, looking at their stats, appearances and evaluating each classes skills. At that point I said in the survey I would most likely buy the pre order Empire packages. After my 2nd BETA test weekend, everything fell apart and I would definately not buy this game as I have more fun playing Skyrim and fallout New Vegas on as hard difficulty I can with "Dead is Dead"  option; which means when I die.

Nothing really changed from the last three beta weekends.  I participated in all of them.  The only thing they've really added is PvP and Crafting.  Both of which are quite amazing compared to other themepark MMO's.  So again, I'm not sure where you're going with this.

MMO's today can be played by blind players, they have no consequences, no choices where I need make one that affects my character, which means no thrill. My character is just one of a million clones, not standing out at all. Boring. 90% of the MMO games are played by 18+, but the games are catering players at age 12?? I really don't get it. The genre seems to be unable to grow mature as the players grow older.

Did you even pay any attention to the amount of customization that can be done with your character?  Any non-class skill line, any weapon, any armor.  Crafting is deep, traits, styles, types.  Enchanting.  Compared to most MMO's, this is one of the deepest and most diverse character progression systems that I've seen.  And yes, I've played Darkfall.  Hell, I've even play Ultima Online.  

The backdraw for not getting players like me on board from the very first minute, is that there's so small chance getting on board later on, even though they are able to manage these fixes I mention. Some of those are able to be fixed, but the animations where I am waving in the mid air, with my character not aiming the foe, will be impossible to fix, and thats the worst part for me to overcome and live with in a game.

Cheers. I hope you who decides to play this game will find your fun.

GL & HF!

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by evilastro

It really doesn't. Not sure where people get this idea, but most of the immature players I have encountered have been in subscription games. E-peen wavers, general douchebags and guild crazies.  Subscription games have them all. 

I know whereof you speak!  :D   They seem to like to congregate in guilds, which is why I wouldn't touch a guild with a 10' barge pole covered in 10 layers of Clingfilm.  I have played many, many mmorpgs and yet the last time I was in a guild was around the year 2000 and, frankly, it hasn't hindered my characters in any meaningful way.

• Redhawk2006Redhawk2006 Member Posts: 105

I find myself in agreement with most of what you write.

1. I don't  care much about the animations, but I do admit they are second-rate and extremely clumsy. My main problem was monsters stepping through me and being unable to hit them without backing off or turning around.

2. Inventory is an absolute nightmare in this game. There are literally thousands of items to pick up (plus raw and finished versions of crafting mats) yet you start with just 50 personal slots and 30 banks slots (which you have to share with other toons!) This is absolutely absurd. I play games for fun not to manage a warehouse and there is nothing that kills immersion more than running out of bag space constantly and having to go back to town to dump it or destroy your items. I guess there will be a cash shop solution to this problem when  it goes f2p. In the meantime bank and bag upgrades seem expensive and get more expensive with each upgrade. It is unclear if there is a hard cap on total slots or not. It is sad that no MMO developer seems to get the fact that inadequate inventory can cripple a game and make people not want to play. I literally quit Fallen Earth for this reason and never went back because they failed to address it.

3. I also found the quests to be boring and tedious, and far more involved than they needed to be. Most quests seem to follow a diamond pattern: start at quest giver and then go east and talk to this guy, light incense, whatever. Then go north and repeat, then go west and repeat. Then return to quest giver for new instructions which have you going east, north and west again. The whole thing is just a tedious Fed-ex style time sink with none of the steps being particularly fun or rewarding.

4. Didn't experience this but having someone send me to find crew people who were  within her view was a little lame. Of course you had to do the go here, go there, go the other place and then come back again routine for this quest.

5. Agree on the interface. it totally sucks. Fonts in many areas are tiny  and use dark text against dark backgrounds or light text against light backgrounds--the precise opposite of proper graphic design principles. This makes them difficult and uncomfortable to read much of the time. The Chat box does not have an option to stay up constantly or maintain a dark background behind it, making it extremely difficult to read as well.  I found many cases where people would not respond to repeated requests due to the fact they simply couldn't read what others were saying to them. Lack of a mini-map is really annoying and  all I saw was people standing around reading their maps, which you have to pull up constantly.

Rather than forcing a minimal interface on people it should be an option. If you hate mini-maps, legible text or being able to easily follow the flow of conversation in the chat box, by all means stick with the default interface. But some options for the rest of us would e nice.

6. Disagree about death penalties. I personally hate them and they add nothing to the game for me. Repair costs, corpse runs, having to use expensive soul gems to rez are all just make-work BS to me and should be removed from the game.  The humiliation of getting owned by the opposition is penalty enough and anything that delays me getting back in the game and having fun is counter to my doing so.

7. It is sad that people feel the need to attack you for expressing your opinion.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

tell me what other mmos is better out their,

or are you saying all mmos will fail exept wow.

• IvidnaelaxIvidnaelax Member UncommonPosts: 67

I have played every single beta weekend they had. Is it perfect, no!. Does it appeal to everyone, no!. But people need to get over it. You can't have apples and oranges. You can't have your cake and eat someone else's. This game doesn't appeal to everyone, but for me it appeals to me, the casual gamer.

As an OP, you need to get over your opinion and judgement on why you think a game will fail. Are you Nostrodamus, are you clarvoyant (sp). People need to get over their personal preferences of what they want from a game and accept what the developers want and expect out of a game.

• imaginaimagina Member Posts: 104

I"m going to give zenimax a chance to disappoint me, just like swtor surely did, as i'm a miserabile, weak pile of human flesh, i bought the game, yes, and i know what it is, it's pathetic. Pa...The...tic of me, as i kind of know, already, deep in my heart from the quality of all i've seen, and played through beta, that it's not the elder scrolls online game i wished for, by any mean and by far to say the least.

Bought the game, i shouldn't have, of course, i shouldn't have.

But i'm curious, there's a little glimmer of hope that they "may"... they "may"... Little chance, a very, very little light of chance in this deep ugly, dark hole, that they will actually adress many legit complaints a lot of people are adressing about animation fidelity at LEAST. At the very least, if they add more realism / better animations to it, it would be kind of, half worth the price i paid...

But who am i joking, right  ? I'm on the fence and i'm still on the fence, being used to mod, and modelize / texturize 3D objects and sometimes even animate some, i can clearly see that the level of "work" put into character models and static objects in teso goes from ridiculously lazy to half assed. 

And i don't know why Bethesda didn't lended/ gave some of their skyrim assets and skyrim animations to Zenimax to work with in the first place, even if they had to cut out some animations frames or optimize them...

I bought it and i'm not fond of it, i think it's like giving money to a lazy spoiled brat that did shit at school, come to me with less than average notes and expect me to buy him new toys... It's a disservice to them, letting them think it's "okay" to do this level of crap... But i'm weak, i love elder scrolls... And yeah, some would say "you shouldn't have bought it if i was clearly "loving" elder scrolls..." And i cannot blame them, they're mostly right.

But i fear that, Bethesda know they've done shit with this "game" by outsourcing it, i fear they know they spent too much money on a sorry ass game bearing their name, i fear there won't be another single player elder scroll game after this pathetic excuse for an elder scroll... I fear this game could bring them to their knee as they put so much money in it that they can't realise how wrong they were in a timely manner and, as a game editor and producer, just can't afford this kind of spendings...

I clearly see how unbelievably awfull eso is compared to the standard quality of Bethesda elder scrolls games... And maybe they should just take that failure in the face to recognize how wrong they are to go back on the drawing tables and produce what they were already known for, some of the best pc rpg's ever done...

I almost hate myself for being so weak, it's the bad attitude toward this game, this studio, if there is too much people as weak as me, there will be too much people allowing them to run away with this and think it's how it's done from now on and for the future of this franchise...

I'm sorry.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

Wow just...wow.

Therapy sounds like the appropriate way to go at this point man...Jesus.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

OP and when it does I will put a picture of you on my mantle because predicting such things is important.

The game most likely will not crash, perhaps not as big as they like, but crash very improbable.

And perhaps we have to re-examine SWOTR it is now making plenty of money.

• Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112

MMO's today can be played by blind players, they have no consequences, no choices where I need make one that affects my character, which means no thrill. My character is just one of a million clones, not standing out at all. Boring. 90% of the MMO games are played by 18+, but the games are catering players at age 12?? I really don't get it. The genre seems to be unable to grow mature as the players grow older.

Did you even pay any attention to the amount of customization that can be done with your character?  Any non-class skill line, any weapon, any armor.  Crafting is deep, traits, styles, types.  Enchanting.  Compared to most MMO's, this is one of the deepest and most diverse character progression systems that I've seen.  And yes, I've played Darkfall.  Hell, I've even play Ultima Online.  

The backdraw for not getting players like me on board from the very first minute, is that there's so small chance getting on board later on, even though they are able to manage these fixes I mention. Some of those are able to be fixed, but the animations where I am waving in the mid air, with my character not aiming the foe, will be impossible to fix, and thats the worst part for me to overcome and live with in a game.

Cheers. I hope you who decides to play this game will find your fun.

GL & HF!

I'll repeat one word which you apparently did not read:

CONSEQUENCES.
    Originally posted by Redhawk2006

I find myself in agreement with most of what you write.1. I don't  care much about the animations, but I do admit they are second-rate and extremely clumsy. My main problem was monsters stepping through me and being unable to hit them without backing off or turning around.2. Inventory is an absolute nightmare in this game. There are literally thousands of items to pick up (plus raw and finished versions of crafting mats) yet you start with just 50 personal slots and 30 banks slots (which you have to share with other toons!) This is absolutely absurd. I play games for fun not to manage a warehouse and there is nothing that kills immersion more than running out of bag space constantly and having to go back to town to dump it or destroy your items. I guess there will be a cash shop solution to this problem when  it goes f2p. In the meantime bank and bag upgrades seem expensive and get more expensive with each upgrade. It is unclear if there is a hard cap on total slots or not. It is sad that no MMO developer seems to get the fact that inadequate inventory can cripple a game and make people not want to play. I literally quit Fallen Earth for this reason and never went back because they failed to address it.3. I also found the quests to be boring and tedious, and far more involved than they needed to be. Most quests seem to follow a diamond pattern: start at quest giver and then go east and talk to this guy, light incense, whatever. Then go north and repeat, then go west and repeat. Then return to quest giver for new instructions which have you going east, north and west again. The whole thing is just a tedious Fed-ex style time sink with none of the steps being particularly fun or rewarding.4. Didn't experience this but having someone send me to find crew people who were  within her view was a little lame. Of course you had to do the go here, go there, go the other place and then come back again routine for this quest.5. Agree on the interface. it totally sucks. Fonts in many areas are tiny  and use dark text against dark backgrounds or light text against light backgrounds--the precise opposite of proper graphic design principles. This makes them difficult and uncomfortable to read much of the time. The Chat box does not have an option to stay up constantly or maintain a dark background behind it, making it extremely difficult to read as well.  I found many cases where people would not respond to repeated requests due to the fact they simply couldn't read what others were saying to them. Lack of a mini-map is really annoying and  all I saw was people standing around reading their maps, which you have to pull up constantly.Rather than forcing a minimal interface on people it should be an option. If you hate mini-maps, legible text or being able to easily follow the flow of conversation in the chat box, by all means stick with the default interface. But some options for the rest of us would e nice.6. Disagree about death penalties. I personally hate them and they add nothing to the game for me. Repair costs, corpse runs, having to use expensive soul gems to rez are all just make-work BS to me and should be removed from the game.  The humiliation of getting owned by the opposition is penalty enough and anything that delays me getting back in the game and having fun is counter to my doing so.7. It is sad that people feel the need to attack you for expressing your opinion.

Very well written! Thanks!

I am not thinking so much about death penalties, there are so many other consequences to bring into an MMO that death penalties could be avoided or be an option for those who wants it, with a reward for playing with it. This could encourage more players into excitement, thrills, instead of just running into whatever cluster of demons without any risk at all, which is just lame; that is absolutely so far from realism as it can be.
    No consequences in a game, makes the characters so similar end game. Just the color on the armor that are different. Failing your way to the top, which just about every game these days offer, doesn't appeal to me anymore. Games have no real achievement anymore. If you fail trying to kill 100 demons, get some levels, come back then succeed.
    No thanks.
  • PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    All the playa haters combined in this forum couldn't stop it being a success at this point.  If launch goes smooth and they keep up content updates nothing is going to slow them down from knocking this one out of the park.  It's no longer really will they be a success but how much of a success and what that means in subscriber numbers. 
    Originally posted by Pyatra

All the playa haters combined in this forum couldn't stop it being a success at this point.  If launch goes smooth and they keep up content updates nothing is going to slow them down from knocking this one out of the park.  It's no longer really will they be a success but how much of a success and what that means in subscriber numbers. 

Are you insinuating I am a hater of the game?
    The game might have sold lots of copies, and so did SW-TOR. The pre sale is no guarantee that the game will have staying power. I do wish it will be able to challenge WoW, but I have my doubts.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Are you insinuating I am a hater of the game? The game might have sold lots of copies, and so did SW-TOR. The pre sale is no guarantee that the game will have staying power. I do wish it will be able to challenge WoW, but I have my doubts.

I'm never sure why anyone gets concerned about a game challenging WOW ....just think how big a game would be if it just had all the x-WOW players

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

Are you insinuating I am a hater of the game? The game might have sold lots of copies, and so did SW-TOR. The pre sale is no guarantee that the game will have staying power. I do wish it will be able to challenge WoW, but I have my doubts.

I've played 5 betas so far... and seen the unreleased patch notes from the beta I'm not in, so I was merely speaking from what I've experienced, and seen so far.  I wasn't referring to any specific person, just giving my opinion on the matter.  I take it from a lot of your post your aren't going to be playing it correct?

• Kalza_BaneKalza_Bane Member Posts: 26

Seems like well 3/4 of the OP's original concerns were addressed in the leaked path notes.

Time will tell.  It also depends on one's definition of success.  ESO doesn't seem to have any real competition this year, save for the WoW xpac, so they may be sitting pretty for a while.  Who knows?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The game will sell over 5 million copies, after that who knows.
  • Slyther_ZeroSlyther_Zero Member Posts: 127

1 just watch the latest developer video on crafting, after 2 minutes ther is a fight with 2 tigers which uses the latest annimations, they have hugely improved.

Link please?

• Kalza_BaneKalza_Bane Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Slyther_Zero  

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus 1 just watch the latest developer video on crafting, after 2 minutes ther is a fight with 2 tigers which uses the latest annimations, they have hugely improved.
      Link please?

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/02/19/video-blacksmithing-in-tamriel