Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm starting to feel too old for games...

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I feel like I'm getting old enough to actually start appreciating games.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Well, another older gamer here (57) and a woman, to boot!  Not much to add to what's been said above, except maybe that funnily enough the older one gets the less one tends to think about maturity?  Playing is fun, fun is good, laughter, fun and love keep us young at heart.  Online games, like any other interest, won't always hold your attention.  There are bound to be times when you need a break.  I think the only interest I have which I never need a break from is reading, maybe.

So, with online games, I go through periods when I'm involved and loving them (although never as much as when I first started playing), and times when I don't play any at all, and just hang around here from time to time to keep me connected to the gaming world.  I recently started learning to play guitar and keyboards and to read music, and this is new for me, fun and exciting. 

Mix it up a little, as other people have said.  Take a complete break from gaming maybe and come back refreshed.  Have a relationship and a child or children if that's what you want, and the right person comes along, but don't think that that is the be-all and end-all, either, and maybe making it into your current quest isn't the best thing to do.  Most of us need a little bit of lots of different things to keep us content.  Or maybe that's just me?

Re-connecting with your homeland, family and friends sounds like a good plan no matter what else happens with your life.  Wishing you luck :)

p.s.  Almost forgot to say that free online education courses in all sorts of subjects such as those run by coursera (https://www.coursera.org/courses) are great if you have spare time which you'd like to spend online.  A chance to learn something new whilst connecting with other learners all over the world, and for free!  What's not to like?

• C_GlassC_Glass Member CommonPosts: 29

I find that the only thing that is really engaging about videogames is either 1. the storyline, or 2. the community. The only reason I enjoy mmos is because there's a chance that I might get to play it with those that I like, if you remove the human element and if you remove the story-element then there's no reason for me to play. 

The last game that I thoroughly enjoyed as if I was a 10 year old all over again was bioshock infinite, but that was because the characters were so darn engaging, but this is an element that's always fun in whichever medium it's in, if you have good friends to play these games with then the games will be fun, but without the human element there's just not much here for most grown ups.

I mean hell, the above guy plays these games with his family, ANY GAME is going to be fun and engaging if you get a group together to play it. At some point I think most people who grow up will realize that it's not so much about the games but about the humans that surround those games, and in the single-player realm it's the characters that will ultimately come through and create the illusion of the human element, something that is always good when it's correctly pulled off. 

It's like in movies... i don't enjoy many movies anymore but as an adult, even in subpar movies, I try to look for specific elements or scenes that were pulled off very professionally, even if the the whole composite isn't very good, there are still bits and pieces within the movie that you can still enjoy. It's like that in videogames, but you have to look for it, even work for it.  

You know the bible says with great wisdom comes great sorrow, and I think this sentiment is something that is very connected to the sorrow of growing up -- you're not going to enjoy the things as you used to, but it doesn't mean that they can't be enjoyed at all, it will just take a bit of effort and insight to look for those good grains within the desert...which get wider and wider as you get older, old men are often cynical for a reason. But I think the older people in this thread show how important it is to play games with other people. 

But I find that the games have to be engaged through other people or with the illusion of other people (which is what the storyline does), try not to get into a cynical 'everything sucks' mode, even if its truth, staying there and endlessly looking for the holy grail of games (which is the trap that so many here have fallen into) is going to hurt you more in the end, but you have to look for the good elements within the bad to get the most out of this life, use your brain and remember the importance of other people.

Hope that can help.  

• wreatchwreatch Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited January 2016

Play Dragon Quest viii on pcsx2 in 1080p with texture filtering on from the couch with your kids at 60 inch plus for pure HD family goodness, thank me later.  Do the same for Dark Cloud 2. 

Its your position in life making you feel the way you do and perhaps you are correct, you may need to pull away, we all have from time to time.

You will be ok, Take a break, step back, knock a chick up, start working out, whack off more, something/anything and you will be back if you have the passion for gaming that we all share I am sure of it.

EDIT: Speaking of Rust, shameless plug inc, forgive me but we have a great server going and would love to have a few more like minded souls.

Shiny newly wiped (1/31) Rust server, modded with care, no c4, levels,x5 harvesting, halfcraft, 
    betterloot etc, would love to have a few randoms hop in and play, feedback welcome and rewarded.

167.114.211.151:28221 <------we hosting a rust server
    to join open rust and hit f1
    type client.connect 167.114.211.151:28221
    hope to see yall around
    Tyrants - US/CA East|5x|Kits|Levels|Better Loot|Map|Newb Protection|No C-4|WIPE 1/31

Post edited by wreatch on

Do not go into the light

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I'm 29 and moving to 30, but I'll always love games, there is no shame in feeling either way. Games are not what we all wished they'd become decades ago, but in some ways they are far more than what we ever dreamed of! 

Maybe, they just aren't what you want yet, maybe you just have more entertaining things going on in your life? 

Feel free to go out and enjoy it ! 

Gaming is fun for me, and what makes it fun is being characters that you can't be in real life, I enjoy the differences, that is why I play. None of these characters can ever be me, so I design all of these avatars to play for variety. 

You should game for fun, it is real life priorities that is draining your passion for gaming, maybe your wife will be a gamer and refuel it, or maybe you'd find another hobby, in the end it doesn't matter, let love find you and enjoy yourself ! ~

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by sagil

I'm 26. I've gamed all my life aside from other things. Starting to think that I've reached the maturity level that games can not be that fun anymore. When I was immature (we all dont admit that we once were), you could feel like something is special even about the wind blowing in your face. Just those little things fade away after some time, and you feel later as if you understand more about your environment as you grow up. Both emotionally, and wisefully.

Now, I know some people will say "well, hey, I'm 36 and I'm a gamer.". But where are the people that stopped playing? Are we really gaming because we have nothing else to do, or because it is fun?

A game only lasts 1 hour to 3 days for me nowadays, and I'm starting to think that I am either finished with games (but the interest in reading news about them is still there for some reason) or I just need to refuel my gaming energy. Also, I have thought since the JRPG era on consoles and later WoW, that no interesting games have come up. I bought Call of Duty: Ghosts, I've not finished playing it and will probably play more since I spent money on it, but I can't get that hype coming back for more. Honestly, I bought it since I wanted to try out a popular FPS game since JRPG ended for me, and I went to MMO... which means that maybe I'll like FPS now? I know, weird analysis by me, but it was worth the try.

I'm feeling like I need to set my priorities straight. So that I, and my family, can be happier (unconditional love ya know) about me than now. I want to find a loving woman that cares and knows me for who I am, settle down with her and bring up a family. But yeah, I have no life except my family and a few friends. So I need to travel thousands kilometers by air to my parents homeland and get to know someone from their contacts. I'm pretty much homestuck all the time, and thinking about moving over to my parents homeland and live there, where I have dozens of family and contacts. (And FYI, yes, I have had a wife before but no kids, from my parents home country. But it just didnt work out between us, she lost passion.).

Are we old gamers really nolifers, immature or attention seekers? Or do we game for fun? Since I haven't had fun gaming for a long time now.

Just my 2 cents. Letter from a worried gamer.

Never too old for games. By that, I mean not just video games. A lot of peoples idea of playing games would be going bowling on a saturday night. My grandparents idea of playing games is doing a crossword puzzle, or going golfing. My mothers idea of games is playing scrabble or bejewled. I think maybe you're just at a point where a lot of modern video games don't really hold your attention because most genre's of video games having a "formula" that most developers like to stick to for the most part.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by jayarte

Well, another older gamer here (57) and a woman, to boot!  Not much to add to what's been said above, except maybe that funnily enough the older one gets the less one tends to think about maturity?  Playing is fun, fun is good, laughter, fun and love keep us young at heart.  Online games, like any other interest, won't always hold your attention.  There are bound to be times when you need a break.  I think the only interest I have which I never need a break from is reading, maybe.

Wise words image

• wreatchwreatch Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Shiny newly wiped (1/31) Rust server, modded with care, no c4, levels,x5 harvesting, halfcraft, 
    betterloot etc, would love to have a few randoms hop in and play, feedback welcome and rewarded.

167.114.211.151:28221 <------we hosting a rust server
    to join open rust and hit f1
    type client.connect 167.114.211.151:28221
    hope to see yall around
    Tyrants - US/CA East|5x|Kits|Levels|Better Loot|Map|Newb Protection|No C-4|WIPE 1/31

Do not go into the light

• Joe30174Joe30174 Member CommonPosts: 6
    I feel similar, I'm 25. I work and have kids.  I think I'm going play when the kids go to bed at 8.  When it's 8 I feel like id rather watch tv.
  • SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    This implies video games are for young people. You simply lost interest in a hobby. 

If it got you questioning life you clearly have been forcing yourself to be a "gamer" for a while now.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited February 2016
    I worked in a company that had forced gaming session. After lunch we all played a round of Star Craft. After awhile I got bored with SC and memoed my boss that I'm bored with gaming. So he forced me to see a therapist. It turned out I was on the edge of depression. 
    I'm not telling this story to say you are depressed or anything. But sometimes when a person loses interest in ones main hobby or passion there might be an underlying condition. 
    If not that try different sort of games. I suggest old school point and click adventures. Good luck ;)
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I always joke I will be arguing with Nurse Ratchet in the old age home:  Medication time!  Medication time!  "No, I have to finish this raid!"
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    65 here and a woman.  Gaming since Hector was a pup.  And whereas the 20 and 30 year olds worry about maturity and burning out, gaming for me is a way to stay connected and keep a youthful attitude.   

But I do get burned out on games.  Which is why I play a huge variety of them.  Over 200 games in my Steam account, everything from 4x, to shooters, to platformers, to RPGs, to puzzles, to strategy, besides the four MMOs I subscribe to.

One thing, though, I consider games an adventure.  I'll try just about anything once.  Oooo, shiny!   I like learning new stuff, seeing how systems work and figuring crap out.  It isn't just about competition, or racking up points, or gearing up, or achievements, although I enjoy knocking those off as well.  Sometimes it's a matter of mood.  Sometimes I'm just tired of killing stuff and want to stretch my brain cells rather than my reflexes, so I switch the type of games I'm playing.  Then I'll circle back around and pick up the MMOs or RPGs again.

Life isn't static.  If your heart isn't in it, move on.  Something out there is calling you.    

• aelathiraelathir Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I feel the same, but sometimes I still get that urge to play something and play like the old times..
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Did you ever feel to old to play monopoly, chess, scrabble, checkers?

It's a game.

Let's try and keep things in perspective.  For some reason, people tend to get so over-dramatic over their MMORPGs.  
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    To the OP, I'm approaching 49 and I personally know of gamers in the later 70's.  I have just found that my taste in games has changed over the decades.

I started out with board games as a child.  Later moved to first video game in 1974, Telstar (Pong).  Then it was a mix of D&D PnP and Atari.  Continued with PnP RPGs and consoles throughout the late 70's until that late 80's.  Off to college and military, and the end of PnP RPGs.  Console (Playstation)  and PC based games.  Never graduated from PS2 to PS3, and pretty much went exclusively to PC games. Introduced to single player PC games in mid 90's, open world RPGs (High Seas Trader, Elder Scrolls - Darkfall, etc).  

MMOs dominated my game play beginning in 2002 with Earth and Beyond, and lasted until Pathfinder Online 2015.  I've played many, many MMOs and here is where I think my age or just circumstances are starting to become a factor.  I'm finding I get far more enjoyment out of playing multi player cooperative games, or competitive FPS, and I'm moving back towards playing mostly Single Player RPGs again.  

It's not so much the games themselves per say, it's the drama that goes along with MMOs or the time sink involved with player based guilds.    

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    edited February 2016
    sagil said:

I'm feeling like I need to set my priorities straight. So that I, and my family, can be happier (unconditional love ya know) about me than now. I want to find a loving woman that cares and knows me for who I am, settle down with her and bring up a family. But yeah, I have no life except my family and a few friends. So I need to travel thousands kilometers by air to my parents homeland and get to know someone from their contacts. I'm pretty much homestuck all the time, and thinking about moving over to my parents homeland and live there, where I have dozens of family and contacts. (And FYI, yes, I have had a wife before but no kids, from my parents home country. But it just didnt work out between us, she lost passion.).

Are we old gamers really nolifers, immature or attention seekers? Or do we game for fun? Since I haven't had fun gaming for a long time now.

I think this is less about games and more about what you want from life. Why would you need to move to your parents' homeland and get to know someone from their contacts? There are plenty of people in the world.

If you are "homestuck" that is all you. Get out and do something.

If you live in an area where this is nothing then sure, moving could be an option (why I moved to a city and will NEVER go back to some small town or the country, can't stand it).

I think this is about you needing to figure out your life. "games" are just a past time. They aren't going to solve life issues. And 26 is pretty immature where I sit at 49 about to hit 50.

Remember, there is always something to learn. and someone at 49 might be immature to someone at 60 and someone at 60 might be more "immature" to someone at 80.

edit: lol, didn't realize this was an old post that someone responded to. 
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    edited February 2016

I've been computer gaming since I was twenty-years old, when I got my first 286 PC and fired up Wizard's Lair...and I have not stopped since.  Even before that I was a heavy AD&D player.

That was 30 years ago (do the math, yes I am 50)...and I don't think I will EVER be "too old" for games.  I still enjoy playing them.  I have plenty of things to do, and I have to actually schedule my "play" time with friends, family, and such, but it is something I thoroughly ENJOY.

I play MMO's, I play FPS'ers, and until I'm in the ground, will continue to be playing.

That you lost interest in gaming is one thing, but don't blame it on age...

I hear ya brother. I am going on 45 and literally gamed my entire life.  I remember sitting in a bar with my dad when Pong came out. He drank I played next step was a pong console then the sky was the limit from there. I even remember battletech on the commodore 64.  I still love to play games and the thing is us old gamers have stories and experiences the newer gamers will never have. BTW I have a few fellow clan members who are in their 60's and 70's. So it isn't an age thing.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    psiic said:

LOL 26 ???!!!

<---- 46

My first computer game was a basic text game that I copied out of the back of a bit magazine onto my Vic 20 and saved on my cassette storage device.

I still remember the milestones of gaming with excitement.

You should have seen how crazy the geeks and nerds went in 1981 when IBM gave us CGA.

or the flat out emotional break down of grown men in 1987 when we first saw VGA. 

Here we are just 30 years later and look how incredibly far we have come. 

You are just depressed because we have been in a bit of a lull for the past few years as software development has been attempting to catch up to some of the insane leaps in hardware technology.

We are getting close, and once the games finally catch back up to  technology we are going to see another exciting burst forward.

Just look at some of the fringe tech being developed out there. 

In our lifetime the matrix is going to become a real and common reality. 

VR brain chips, up and down skills/knowledge loads,  full sensory immersion,  UI's for our brains, heads up displays on the inside of the retina.

These are not dreams, not something only elite military will have access to, these are real functional technologies that are being developed for sale to the public. 

We are living the Brave New World.. 

Could you see the kids these days trying to code in every command? LOL

• mguernicamguernica Member UncommonPosts: 2
    sagil said:

I'm 26. I've gamed all my life aside from other things. Starting to think that I've reached the maturity level that games can not be that fun anymore. When I was immature (we all dont admit that we once were), you could feel like something is special even about the wind blowing in your face. Just those little things fade away after some time, and you feel later as if you understand more about your environment as you grow up. Both emotionally, and wisefully.

Now, I know some people will say "well, hey, I'm 36 and I'm a gamer.". But where are the people that stopped playing? Are we really gaming because we have nothing else to do, or because it is fun?

A game only lasts 1 hour to 3 days for me nowadays, and I'm starting to think that I am either finished with games (but the interest in reading news about them is still there for some reason) or I just need to refuel my gaming energy. Also, I have thought since the JRPG era on consoles and later WoW, that no interesting games have come up. I bought Call of Duty: Ghosts, I've not finished playing it and will probably play more since I spent money on it, but I can't get that hype coming back for more. Honestly, I bought it since I wanted to try out a popular FPS game since JRPG ended for me, and I went to MMO... which means that maybe I'll like FPS now? I know, weird analysis by me, but it was worth the try.

nice haha i agree @sagil

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited February 2016
    I'm a lot older than 26 in fact a lot older than 36. But i still like gaming. RPG's are my favorite. But i admit its getting harder to find games i like now. And call me elitist but i like games made for PC. Not games ported over from consoles. Loved Morrowind but hated all eldercsrolls games after it. Played then only because i love the mod community. As far as new mmo's goes i think most of them suck badly.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

At twice the op's age, I've given up on gaming. Largely due to the attractions of other hobbies, but partially from the realization that I haven't seen anything truly new from the industry in more than a decade.

Did you know that this is the first year in history that back-catalog music has outsold new music? Gaming is not the only industry withering away.

Value and reward innovation and creativity, and shun Formula and Sequel.
  • DaderickDaderick Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Get out of the house! It'll make everything so much better! Talk to people, go get drunk at a bar, grab one of your friends and just go somewhere! You're young and have your whole life ahead of you. I would also suggest at least talking to a therapist to see if you're depressed. It sounds like it to me and you need to understand that it's a sickness, and you don't need to suffer alone! 

Bottomline is get out and leave videogames alone until you straighten out the rest of your life.  Once that happens I bet games become fun again.

Visit us over at Star Citizen Privateer!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    sagil said:

Starting to think that I've reached the maturity level that games can not be that fun anymore. 

Maturity has nothing to do with having fun. Sex is a great entertainment and nobody says, im too mature to enjoy it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    sagil said:

Meh I was your age when I first got into gaming, came with Married life and being home more.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson