Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Different End-Game

syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I have played almost every major MMO marketed in the U.S. in the past ten years.  After getting to the level cap in SWTOR, I finally realized what I don't want in my MMO end-game.  I made a detailed post about it in the general forums here, so I will summarize.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/405234/My-Problem-With-MMO-Design.html

I don't want to see gated content in the form of "gear levels" that divide the community and cause me to not be able to progress for days on end due to not finding players at a nearly identical progression point.  The MMOs I know do this include:  WoW, EQ series, SWTOR, probably LOTRO, and TSW.  There are probably a lot more than that, but I'm tired of developers dividing the community with content.  If I "fall behind" the players who already have the gear, they aren't likely to help me catch up because there is little motivation for them to repeat content they are "done" with.

Can anyone suggest MMOs which have a truly different end-game formula?

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I am getting back into DC Universe.  Their end-game content rewards players with a currency used to buy gear for any tier of their end-game, which reduces the separation of players a bit.  Basically, a tier 3 player still has incentive to repeat tier 1 content, which helps the tier 1 players catch up.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You are asking for a game with no vertical progression, and there is only 1 answer: EVE Online.

I would also keep an eye on Elite Dangerous coming out in 2 weeks.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    As Gdemami already said, what you are asking for has been out there since 2003, and it's a great sand box mmo called EVE Online.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• cronos1013cronos1013 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by syntax42

I have played almost every major MMO marketed in the U.S. in the past ten years.  After getting to the level cap in SWTOR, I finally realized what I don't want in my MMO end-game.  I made a detailed post about it in the general forums here, so I will summarize.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/405234/My-Problem-With-MMO-Design.html

I don't want to see gated content in the form of "gear levels" that divide the community and cause me to not be able to progress for days on end due to not finding players at a nearly identical progression point.  The MMOs I know do this include:  WoW, EQ series, SWTOR, probably LOTRO, and TSW.  There are probably a lot more than that, but I'm tired of developers dividing the community with content.  If I "fall behind" the players who already have the gear, they aren't likely to help me catch up because there is little motivation for them to repeat content they are "done" with.

Can anyone suggest MMOs which have a truly different end-game formula?

Other than Eve Online, the only thing that I could suggest would be to do what I'm doing, wait for a game like The Repopulation,or perhaps EQ Next.  I've been playing Eve since early 2009, and I'm down to playing a couple hours a week now...I suspect that when I get an alternative I am going to jump ship.