Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOBA 3x more popular than MMOs?

12346»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by laserit

I'd have to disagree. MMO's have never been the flavor of the week, they are the flavor of this site and with a name like "MMORPG.com" I'd tend to believe it always will be.

I have never even searched for a site called "Moba.com" and quite frankly I have no interest in doing so.

Really? This site also list D3, LoL and many non-MMOs and I am not the only one raising these other games in discussions.

And if you have no interests in MOBA, why are you posting in a MOBA MMO comparison topic? Shouldn't you be somewhere else?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I'd have to disagree. MMO's have never been the flavor of the week, they are the flavor of this site and with a name like "MMORPG.com" I'd tend to believe it always will be.

I have never even searched for a site called "Moba.com" and quite frankly I have no interest in doing so.

Really? This site also list D3, LoL and many non-MMOs and I am not the only one raising these other games in discussions.

And if you have no interests in MOBA, why are you posting in a MOBA MMO comparison topic? Shouldn't you be somewhere else?

I visit the sight for my interest and love of MMORPG's. You thread title is "MOBA 3x more popular than MMOs?" So of coarse it peaked my interest.

I believe that if you tallied up the topics, of all the threads on this site, you would find that the MMO topics would be more numerous then all the other genre's combined.

I apologise if I am incorrect.

edit: please don't misunderstand:

I'm not in any way criticizing your topic, and I enjoy talking about many genres of games and other topics on this sight. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

I believe that if you tallied up the topics, of all the threads on this site, you would find that the MMO topics would be more numerous then all the other genre's combined.

Sure .. but there are plenty of mentioned of other types of games like D3, LoL, and even farmville in many posts.

Since MMO is clearly is competing for gamers amongst other genre of games, it is fair game to discuss MMOs in comparison to others.

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    I like MOBA's in that they are quick and dirty and you don't have to spend all night on them but on the flip side you have to concentrate uninteruptedly for almost an hour every time you start a game or it's pretty much GG.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by Rydeson

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Quirhid
    There is no safer market than the mainstream. You simply don't know how much of the old school MMORPGs' success can be attributed to sheer novelty. You don't know how many people would actually play an old school game today.
    Those are very good points.I know I got into them in the first place for the novelty of them, and the hope that I could get into a kind of D&D online with other players.[I also have no clue how many would play "old school" MMORPGs today. I say, let's find out :)
    I'm one of them.. I started playing RPG's with AD&D and my dice bag..  LOL  It was the reason why I jumped into EQ.. EQ was my online opportunity to play AD&D without waiting every other weekend for friends..  Today's games feel like co-op version of single player console games, or PvP like Counter-strike..Dev's keep trying to tap into the next big McDonald's potential and often fall short..I've pretty much given up hope for any true online version of AD&D that isn't instanced to death..
    CORPGs (instanced ones) such as DDO and GW1 are much more inline with what PnP D&D is like, because both are mainly about the co-op experience and story.I can't help but feel that you are looking for that PnP feel from the wrong place by playing MMORPGs. They offer a very different experience.And must you really use troll-baits like the fast-food metaphor?
    I figured out long ago the idea that MMORPGs can not be anything like tabletop RPGs. Without a DM/GM, there is just no way.

Also, the sheer numbers of players makes it very hard. I tried playing D&D one time with 17 (plus 1 DM) players around the table. That was the worst D&D session I ever participated in.

No, MMORPGs are not a replacement, but they sure can be fun :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I noticed some people earlier on this thread called MOBA's "casual.

Honestly, I haven't met more dedicated gamers in my entire life. Not to mention Ranked is literally the most intense thing in the world (of games). Nothing says competition like a MOBA.

I'd have to disagree. MMO's have never been the flavor of the week, they are the flavor of this site and with a name like "MMORPG.com" I'd tend to believe it always will be.I have never even searched for a site called "Moba.com" and quite frankly I have no interest in doing so.
    Really? This site also list D3, LoL and many non-MMOs and I am not the only one raising these other games in discussions.And if you have no interests in MOBA, why are you posting in a MOBA MMO comparison topic? Shouldn't you be somewhere else?
    Sooo... Sports Illustrated is coming out (or is it out already?) with their swimsuit issue. Does that mean women barely wearing swimsuits is now a sport?

On a side note, how many MOBAs are due out to release these next 2 years compared to MMOs? Wouldn't that tell you all you need to know about "what is hot", using your usual logic?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Bruhza

I noticed some people earlier on this thread called MOBA's "casual.

Honestly, I haven't met more dedicated gamers in my entire life. Not to mention Ranked is literally the most intense thing in the world (of games). Nothing says competition like a MOBA.

MOBAs are regarded as "casual" and "fun" because the bar had been lowered even lower than what FPS players expect. There's less choice of features for "balance", and in games like LoL (well, until Ghostcrawler arrived) they simply didn't care about class balance at all.

Zerg =/= competition. OP classes =/= competition.

Skill=competition IF the skill is balanced so zerg and faceroll mechanics don't overshadow it as "skill".

On a side note, how many MOBAs are due out to release these next 2 years compared to MMOs? Wouldn't that tell you all you need to know about "what is hot", using your usual logic?

Yeah ... how many companies are getting into MOBAs .. how many are doing AAA MMOs?

In fact, Blizz is a good example. Are they still pushing their next-gen MMO, or are they refocusing on MOBA. You tell me.

Also, the sheer numbers of players makes it very hard. I tried playing D&D one time with 17 (plus 1 DM) players around the table. That was the worst D&D session I ever participated in.

No, MMORPGs are not a replacement, but they sure can be fun :)

Yeh ... pnp D&D is not massive, and never about massive.

Yeah ... how many companies are getting into MOBAs .. how many are doing AAA MMOs?In fact, Blizz is a good example. Are they still pushing their next-gen MMO, or are they refocusing on MOBA. You tell me.
    I really don't know anything about MOBAs :) I think Blizzard has Titan on the back-burner, if not totally scrapped. I was just curious how many new MOBAs are coming out in the next few years.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Probably not helping that there haven't been any real good MMO's released in nearly a decade.  We had WoW, then a few that looked like they might do OK with niche audiences (LotRO, CoH, etc), but then the industry went F2P and we've have nothing but shallow crap since.

And lets face it: if you want F2P and don't care about story or lore or immersion or anything like that, then MOBA's are pretty much exactly what you're looking for anyway.

^ This right here. 

Lets also face another fact, MMO developers should NOT be trying to cater to the casual lobby gaming crowd. That is not the demographic that actually wants to play their games, and they have shown it time and time again but jumping ship after the first free month in nearly every title to release in the last 10 years. Yet developers are constantly pushing out half assed games that try to grab the attention of people who want to play games like LoL and GW1 leaving the rest of us hungering for a version of EQ1 or Ultima that was made in this century. 

Yeah ... how many companies are getting into MOBAs .. how many are doing AAA MMOs?

In fact, Blizz is a good example. Are they still pushing their next-gen MMO, or are they refocusing on MOBA. You tell me.

I really don't know anything about MOBAs :) I think Blizzard has Titan on the back-burner, if not totally scrapped. I was just curious how many new MOBAs are coming out in the next few years.

Well, i am not going to bet money that Blizz is going to actually work on and release titan anytime soon. They did the same on SC Ghost and the Thrall adv game, and we all know what happened to those.

Their MOBA, otoh, is getting much more news, and even diablofans.com has a snippet about which diablo characters will be in it.

Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

Lets also face another fact, MMO developers should NOT be trying to cater to the casual lobby gaming crowd. That is not the demographic that actually wants to play their games,

Why not? MMO devs don't have to keep on making MMOs. Blizz made RTS .. big success. Then they made a MMO .. big success. And they have ARPGs in between .. and now they are making a card game and a MOBA.

It is possible for a devs to change the game genre they are making. Bioware made RPGs ... now they found huge financial success in a MMORPG.

Bungie is famous for FPS, and now they are doing Destiny, a FPS with some MMO elements.

Companies don't have to stand still.