Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why all the hate for this game?

13»

Comments

• yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240

I played this game and it was fun. Literally 14 days later I have my GF at level cap and I'm wondering "Is that it?".

Looking back, I suspect this game is a very clever money grab. I purchased a mount & pet, and 14 days later my pixel rental had run out as I reached cap - game over. Most expensive pixel rental ever. I suspect it's not supposed to hold you for any length of time, you come in, pay for a bag, mount (or whatever) in your first week or so, get to cap before you know it, and leave. Ultra fast churn rate on a single server.

It's well done, you buy Zen with real money, exchange it in-game for Astral Diamonds, and with Astral Diamonds you can buy ANYTHING. You can even pay to win crafting if you want :).

In fact, there's almost a reverse FTP thing going on here. The rich whales are finding the game over before they really spend a fortune, no big spenders means FTP players are feeling the game isn't pay to win.

Oh, and the game is riddled with bugs, literally all over. With bug fixes only seeming to be for cosmetic small things. Most bugged game I have ever played to be honest.

But... somehow it is fun, worth a shot. Just it's such a short game, be thinking of which game next from day one!!!

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Because FTP is proving itself to be a massive failure, promising the moon and the stars but delivering a fast cash grab in the end. 
  • shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by yucklawyers

I played this game and it was fun. Literally 14 days later I have my GF at level cap and I'm wondering "Is that it?".

Looking back, I suspect this game is a very clever money grab. I purchased a mount & pet, and 14 days later my pixel rental had run out as I reached cap - game over. Most expensive pixel rental ever. I suspect it's not supposed to hold you for any length of time, you come in, pay for a bag, mount (or whatever) in your first week or so, get to cap before you know it, and leave. Ultra fast churn rate on a single server.

It's well done, you buy Zen with real money, exchange it in-game for Astral Diamonds, and with Astral Diamonds you can buy ANYTHING. You can even pay to win crafting if you want :).

In fact, there's almost a reverse FTP thing going on here. The rich whales are finding the game over before they really spend a fortune, no big spenders means FTP players are feeling the game isn't pay to win.

Oh, and the game is riddled with bugs, literally all over. With bug fixes only seeming to be for cosmetic small things. Most bugged game I have ever played to be honest.

But... somehow it is fun, worth a shot. Just it's such a short game, be thinking of which game next from day one!!!

did you not play the end game?

• shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Well, it's barely an MMO. It started out development as a non MMO and it shows.

Also, the level of customization is nowhere near as good as the older Neverwinter titles.

Basically, it's just a bad Neverwinter game with MMO slapped onto the name to swindle some extra cash.

lol WUT.

I play with different  random people every single time I log in.  In fact I play with more people in this "MMO" then I do in the Pay 2 plays.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,209

it is simple

1: It was not a ultra deep Neverwinter Nights online with extra cheese

2: It was designed by Cryptic

I personally think it is a fun  little game to play every now and then. If i want deep and engaging story i play SP RPG´s

This have been a good conversation

• yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by shadylurker
    Originally posted by yucklawyers

did you not play the end game?

Of course. I did stay a little longer than two weeks. But repeatable dailies and repeatable dungeons, I don't mind them as part of a levelling process, but standalone......... been there, done that. Move on to something new.....

Lol, last epic dungeon I did during Dungeon Delve, we completed it, message on screen et all. Would the chest open? Nope, no reward for any of us. Calls to a GM ignored (still no response to written bug report even now). Really is the most bugged game i have ever played.

Not saying I wouldn't come back if there was a level cap increase, because I probably would if only to get value for the pixels I rented, but I think that is extremely unlikely.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Honestly, I didn't give this game a fair chance. I got into beta, downloaded and installed and went into the character creation screens. I felt as if I was transported back in time with the graphics and choices. Nothing excited me at all.

After getting into the game, it was deja vu all over again. Oh gee... I was shipwrecked. And now I'm on an island or something. And look... a weapon. And now... x number of things to kill. And some NPC to start me on my way. Thanks for the money and whatever else you have an unlimited supply of. Off I go to kill x number of something else. Didn't I already do this in AoC? In Tera? In... just about every other MMO, it seems! Argh!

I'm not one for dramatics or rage quitting ever. But I had to logoff and uninstall. I couldn't warrant starting another game where I had to do the same thing all over again. To what end?

I'm not opposed to those games. But I only need one such game in my regular MMO rotation. I play LOTRO. I don't want to play it again elsewhere.

Neverwinter is probably an OK game. It has it's fans. I'm glad there are people that love it. I was completely unfair and unreasonable towards it. Maybe the loss is mine. I don't mind.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,396

I dont hate this game, but DDO just does the D&D thing way better than this one.

Simple as that.

• codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208

What do you mean, "why all the hate for this game?" Have you played it? It sucks.

You sign in, load up, hit "create character," and pick your class; this is literally the last decision of any import you will make about your character's development.

The combat is just silly; I tested it out, and there is only about a ~10% difference in effectiveness between paying attention and hitting every button just right, and having some of those toy water birds set up to automatically hit keys for you at random.

The graphics are 21st-century.... barely.

The quests are just variations on a theme, boring and with clearly visible rails.

Crafting, aside from not being my thing to begin with, is tedious, pointless, and more expensive than a comparable real life hobby.

I'm a D&D fanatic; NWN2 is still installed on my computer, and I am an officer in one of the larger guilds in DDO, but I was beside myself with excitement when this game was announced. "Finally," I thought, "a real D&D MMO set in Faerun and with all of the lore to base the story on, how can it fail?"

Well, when they throw the key concepts behind D&D, MMOs, and the Neverwinter lore out the window, you don't have much left. Like the grease left in the pan after you broil a roast, this game is the garbage left after the good stuff is gone.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

Was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  It has some of the best graphics and sound of any game out right now.  You can start grouping pretty much right away for dungeon crawls.  Love the non tab target combat.  Felt visceral on my Guardian.  I can honestly say I never had so much fun smashing my shield into a mob's face.  Character development was a lot deeper than I expected it to be.

Thought the pvp was good.  Enjoyed it from 10 to 60.  Never felt pay to win to me, I spent a total of 20 dollars in the cash shop and always felt competitive...used the money to buy a bind to account mount.  Rarely I would run up against someone who obviously had spent a ton of money and destroyed me, but for the most part it wasn't a problem.

Game needs more classes, more pvp maps, and my biggest problem was people exploiting through dungeons at high level.  Its definitely not a super deep game and you will get bored if you are a hardcore 12 hour a day gamer.  But for f2p this was a shining star in 2013.  Much better than a lot of the triple A mmos which have come out over the last few years in my opinion.

Do not understand for the life of me why this game was so poorly received.  I will be going back to it from time to time to check it out.

The graphics aren't exactly good compared to any recent MMO, and some the animations are terrible.

Character development was extremely lacking. You were forced to put points into abilities you'd never even use to progress down the tree. No options to have multiple builds, or to save different powers.

Zones and progression was as linear as the come. Dungeons were pretty much all the same.... fight you way through trash, fight boss who spawns more adds, done.

Quests were as generic and as dull as they come. Collect this, kill that, return for more collect and kill quests.

PVP was as boring as all hell... stand in this circle, stand in the next circle. Get CC'd -> dead. Respawn seconds later and run right back into the battle. Everyone's teleporting and bouncing around everywhere. And yeah, once you hit 60's it's about grinding PVE instances to be competitive in PVP - cause that makes sense right? In most matches too you will get a quitter or two if the score isn't going their way (and who still don't get replaced) because everyone's just in it for the reward. The PVP gear is terrible. PVP is just your mindless instanced grind. The stats are also lacking, whoever does the last hit gets the 'kill', oh then there's the matter of class balance...

And they still haven't fixed the grouping bugs in instances, nor the death carrying over to the normal world.

Then there's the lag.

Neverwinter was a great game, but this isn't. It's soleless and feels like a poor mans copy of WOW.... from 2006.

/yawn.

TLDR nothing new to see here, though if you are desperately after something to pass some time it's worth a shot.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I personally feel like Neverwinter is the only F2P MMO worth putting money into at the moment. Just by pure fun factor.
  • kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190
    The game is still busy. Some of the dungeons que's are buggy at 60 ie get in a 5 man pug and you get ported into the dungeon with you and one or 2 others.  I like the combat a lot . I feel more than 3 encounter abilities active would be a plus.  One of the few games ever that I have enjoyed the leveling up more than the end game. The leveling up stays pretty linear and 50 to 60 goes pretty fast.  I have no problem getting into skirmishes, pvp, or dungeon runs, the ah is pretty loaded with gear; so the game has a pretty good population atm. I have never spent a dime and come out top damage and kills 99 percent of the time.  I have had fun playing every class which is rare for me.  I have enjoyed it as much as any game out there and even after getting into a couple of betas that people are all excited about, I have found myself going back to this....
  • richarddoylericharddoyle Member UncommonPosts: 84

Personally I think, considering how the first thing people seem to talk about is Foundry, the game just doesn't have much to offer.

When your biggest selling point is that you have your playerbase create all the content for you while you milk them for cash and don't even compensate them when people use the content that THEY created, all I can do is shake my head.

Plus, again, clunky attempt at action combat.  Anyone who thinks this combat is good should play Dragon Nest, Vindictus, or better yet a singleplayer hack'n'slash game like Darksiders, Metal Gear Rising, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

• aromeroaromero Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by richarddoyle
    Personally I think, considering how the first thing people seem to talk about is Foundry, the game just doesn't have much to offer.When your biggest selling point is that you have your playerbase create all the content for you while you milk them for cash and don't even compensate them when people use the content that THEY created, all I can do is shake my head.Plus, again, clunky attempt at action combat.  Anyone who thinks this combat is good should play Dragon Nest, Vindictus, or better yet a singleplayer hack'n'slash game like Darksiders, Metal Gear Rising, Assassin's Creed, etc.

The combat is fine, what are you talking about? Comparing an mmorpg with a single player game? Really?

• ChadiwickerChadiwicker Member UncommonPosts: 80

Personally I think, considering how the first thing people seem to talk about is Foundry, the game just doesn't have much to offer.

When your biggest selling point is that you have your playerbase create all the content for you while you milk them for cash and don't even compensate them when people use the content that THEY created, all I can do is shake my head.

Plus, again, clunky attempt at action combat.  Anyone who thinks this combat is good should play Dragon Nest, Vindictus, or better yet a singleplayer hack'n'slash game like Darksiders, Metal Gear Rising, Assassin's Creed, etc.

The Foundry is not the only source of content in the game. Cryptic has released two content modules since the release of the game. The Foundry authors do get "paid" via in game currency tips and unique incentives (i.e. items, titles, companions, etc...).

I enjoy the combat system in Neverwinter. I can't go back to some other games because Neverwinter blows them out of the water with their action combat.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    the game have the base  ,  then you have foundry . a few thing from foundry are missing tho , pvp  raid grouped dungeon  but aside from these ? nope it is a great title a bit of grinding in the two end game area to reach actual end game (valindra etc) but over all great game .awesome graphic , I didn't need to enable aa or af witch is a good thing .once they have added the stuff I mentioned to foundry this title will be perfect ! not all of foundry content is great but a lot of them are very good ! foundry sound like a simple idea but it add ton of longevity to a title ! neverwinter night 2 did it in the past and it lived for a long time even tho no expension were avail lol !
  • codejackcodejack Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by aromero

Originally posted by richarddoylePlus, again, clunky attempt at action combat.  Anyone who thinks this combat is good should play Dragon Nest, Vindictus, or better yet a singleplayer hack'n'slash game like Darksiders, Metal Gear Rising, Assassin's Creed, etc.

The combat is fine, what are you talking about? Comparing an mmorpg with a single player game? Really?

What are YOU talking about? The combat sucks! You cannot select a target; half the time you think that you are attacking you actually are not; there is almost no difference between performing every action perfectly and flailing wildly at the keyboard; the delay between hitting the button and the action happening is so long that the monster has gone away, gotten married, raised children, and come back to wait for you to kill it right before it dies of old age....

This is one of the lousiest MMOs ever released, and gets my vote for the worst D&D video game of all time.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

They do compensate them. Or rather the option is there for the players to do it by giving the author some AD (which can be converted into store currency if they so choose).

I also noticed that they added some account-wide pets for the people that put a lot of work into the Foundry.

I recently went back to play it again after originally tossing the game aside in disgust - and I was glad to see that they fixed a lot of the horribly broken/poorly thought out aspects; you CAN actually get a replacement now if someone bails on you while you're doing a dungeon! Took them over half a year to finally fix that, but hey... better late than never, right?

All in all it's an entertaining enough game; not really one of the big league MMO's, but fun enough for a while.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ChadiwickerChadiwicker Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by codejack

What are YOU talking about? The combat sucks! You cannot select a target; half the time you think that you are attacking you actually are not; there is almost no difference between performing every action perfectly and flailing wildly at the keyboard; the delay between hitting the button and the action happening is so long that the monster has gone away, gotten married, raised children, and come back to wait for you to kill it right before it dies of old age....

This is one of the lousiest MMOs ever released, and gets my vote for the worst D&D video game of all time.

Your experience does not resemble mine and I think you're being more than a little hyperbolic. There is almost no delay between hitting the button and the action happening. Some actions do have a "wind up" but, even then, they are minimal. The game is aimed so you have to have a monster in sight to attack them. It occasionally targets the wrong monster, but that is because sometimes a monster gets between me and my main target. You may need to reposition. I've said it once and I'll say it again - Neverwinter's combat system is the best I've experienced in any MMO I've played.

I don't think Neverwinter is the best MMO ever, but it is the only one I play at the moment and I don't see anything new coming out that is going to supplant Neverwinter as my MMO of choice. Daggerdale was the worst D&D video game of all time that I've played. ;)

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I really enjoy this game. It is my number two game to play, followed by Star Wars. 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!