Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to claim an empty plot of land and build on it

fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208

I know there must be some games out there where you can claim a spot (or maybe take it by force from someone else) and build whatever you want on your land.

I'd also like there to be some RPG and combat elements, not just building.

What are my options for released games like this?

What are some games to watch for in the near future?

Me

Her

Comments

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

If you like PVP you have things like Rust which I heard can be a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing.  If your not a fan of PVP than upcoming is EQN:Landmark.  There are also some older titles like Wurm you could try.  You can buy into Landmark Alpha today if you like or wait for a couple months and let the game mature before playing it.  I"m pretty sure land stacks are going to get wiped at least a couple more times in Landmark although you would get a headstart on building templates.

In the meantime it's hard to beat Minecraft for open world building.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Rust and EQN: Landmark would be your best choices.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Landmark is in alpha. The servers have gotten reasonably stable but they game is still missing lots of key features like guilds, water, harvesting plants and so on. Basically it is very rough right now and yet it is ridiculously fun. I would recommend it even in its current form.

Check out what people are doing.

All die, so die well.

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208

Wurm is a bit old for my taste.  I'm hoping for something newer.

Anyone tried Xysom?

Me

Her

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Archeage also fits the bill.
  • fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Tygranir

IS EQN: Landmark different from EQN?  Or is 'Landmark' just the subtitle for Everquest Next?

Me

Her

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by fivetigers
    Originally posted by Tygranir

IS EQN: Landmark different from EQN?  Or is 'Landmark' just the subtitle for Everquest Next?

They're two separate games sharing same engine. EQL is basically a fantasy-themed sandbox, think minecraft survival mode mmo with orcs n stuff, while EQN is going to be a developer-made total conversion mod for EQL.

So, in EQL you'll be able to build things, do the survival game etc and if the devs are to be trusted, able to create your own dungeons, pvp arenas and maybe even whole worlds to share with your friends or random visitors, if you so wish. Stuff made by players in EQL will be considered by the devs for inclusion into EQN. Make your own little tavern, village or a dungeon and it might appear in EQN.

EQN is to be more of a classical mmorpg with a novel approach to classes (40 classes with multiclassing) and quite a horizontal approach to character progression (no levels, 5 tiers per skill). Instead of leveling up a single class the progression takes form of "collecting" classes in order to create the best build. It remains to seen how many sandbox elements from EQL will transfer to EQN, but it is quite possible that it'll be a straight themepark companion to EQL's sandbox.

That's what I managed to gather from the devs and current EQL alpha. If someone can correct me in anything, I'd be most obliged.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Originally posted by fivetigers

I know there must be some games out there where you can claim a spot (or maybe take it by force from someone else) and build whatever you want on your land.

I'd also like there to be some RPG and combat elements, not just building.

What are my options for released games like this?

What are some games to watch for in the near future?

Istaria. Plenty of land to own, nearby towns or at settlements. Pretty much stuff to be built, most people use it as giant vaults. But you can build, say, fountains and pavements, decorated with banners. Or can construct crafting facilities near that lucrative ore field. Or you could choose Dragon raxce and own a true Dragon's lair.

RPG in istaria? not sure. Maybe happens... Combat - there is enough PvE.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by steelwind
    Archeage also fits the bill.

Is that out already? Is that from Lineage devs?

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by plat0nic

Is that out already? Is that from Lineage devs?

It is in Korea and Japan. Also from 22th of February it'll be in Russia. No ETA for EU or NA.

Yeap, at least some of em including Jake Song.