Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm starting to feel too old for games...

Comments

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

And have you ever wanted something so badly
    that it possessed your body & your soul
    through the night & through the day
    until you finally get it!
    And then you realise that it wasn't what you wanted after all.
    And then those selfsame sickly little thoughts
    now go & attach themselves to something....
    ....or somebody....new!
    And the whole goddamn thing starts all over again.  (The the - Dusk album - 1993)

Saying this to say, you are not alone and what you are feeling is completely normal.

Also saying it to say, don't be so serious about any of it because it's all bullshit anyway. 

Relax, have fun, do what makes you feel ok with yourself (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else) and remember, you can always come back.  You are a free individual.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

LOL 26 ???!!!

<---- 46

My first computer game was a basic text game that I copied out of the back of a bit magazine onto my Vic 20 and saved on my cassette storage device.

I still remember the milestones of gaming with excitement.

You should have seen how crazy the geeks and nerds went in 1981 when IBM gave us CGA.

or the flat out emotional break down of grown men in 1987 when we first saw VGA. 

Here we are just 30 years later and look how incredibly far we have come. 

You are just depressed because we have been in a bit of a lull for the past few years as software development has been attempting to catch up to some of the insane leaps in hardware technology.

We are getting close, and once the games finally catch back up to  technology we are going to see another exciting burst forward.

Just look at some of the fringe tech being developed out there. 

In our lifetime the matrix is going to become a real and common reality. 

VR brain chips, up and down skills/knowledge loads,  full sensory immersion,  UI's for our brains, heads up displays on the inside of the retina.

These are not dreams, not something only elite military will have access to, these are real functional technologies that are being developed for sale to the public. 

We are living the Brave New World.. 

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I turned 50 last August and I still play games. What's all this maturity BS? Life goes by far too quickly, enjoy it while you can.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I am 43 I will always listen to nice music and new pop music,always watsh science fiction movies.

NEVER stop gaming its fun and you grow as a gamer.

don't have wife and groceries so all the time in the world for gaming.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by sagil

I'm 26. I've gamed all my life aside from other things. Starting to think that I've reached the maturity level that games can not be that fun anymore. When I was immature (we all dont admit that we once were), you could feel like something is special even about the wind blowing in your face. Just those little things fade away after some time, and you feel later as if you understand more about your environment as you grow up. Both emotionally, and wisefully.

You're at the age when boys now turn into men, and the responsibilities have caught up. It's now time to build a nest and raise a family (and parents can be very persistent on the matter, especially about having grandkids).

It's called LIFE.

Games will always be here, but life doesn't wait. 28 years-old is the perfect time for all of it (gives you 2 years to save; and to find a good wife).

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

have been playing games since the old zx81 days. and now well into the 50's and with a nasty little illness that will eventualy kill me called Cancer. but despite the dumbing down of games and players over the years i will still take time to enjoy an online game now and  then. i've played mmo's since early Asheron's Call days, and apart from a couple enjoyed my time in them.

some times i get gamed out, and need to take a break for a month or three to give the batteries time to recharge but that is like everything in life - some times you just need a break, a change from the routine of things.

from the sound of it you need to take a break for a while - get out and see the world, and not through pictures and videos online. go do something that takes you away from games for a while. when your are ready to escape reality again you'll know it

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

I'm 26. I've gamed all my life aside from other things. Starting to think that I've reached the maturity level that games can not be that fun anymore. When I was immature (we all dont admit that we once were), you could feel like something is special even about the wind blowing in your face. Just those little things fade away after some time, and you feel later as if you understand more about your environment as you grow up. Both emotionally, and wisefully.

You're at the age when boys now turn into men, and the responsibilities have caught up. It's now time to build a nest and raise a family (and parents can be very persistent on the matter, especially about having grandkids).

It's called LIFE.

Games will always be here, but life doesn't wait. 28 years-old is the perfect time for all of it (gives you 2 years to save; and to find a good wife).

LOL give him 2 -3 years of being a responsible parent, he will come screaming back to us beating on the door begging to be let back in.

Don't listen to em son!!! Half these folks in here, including myself, didn't even START gaming hardcore until AFTER they had a spouse and some kids.

In fact, I would say that Spouses and Kids are among the #1 leading causes of hardcore gaming there are.

I mean what else are you gonna do?  Can't go out of the house anymore, too broke or the spouse don't trust you or you gotta look after the kids.  Can't hang with your friends anymore, too broke or the spouse don't trust you, or you gotta look after the kids.  Can't have your friends laying around the house all the time, bad influence on the kids or worse, they are doing your spouse and/or your kids.  Can't even enjoy the big bowl of cereal anymore, TRICKS ARE FOR KIDS SILLY RABBIT!!!

My kid actually told me this to my face once.

So its no wonder that we prefer our friends to be electronic and have buttons attached to them that we can turn off whenever we don't have time to hang out.  It's the easiest way to remain productive while still being able to have a bit of fun here and there.

No one here is an MMORPG monk.  At least not in real life.

So you go ahead and get yourself some play, make your parents proud, get yourself together, and once you have gotten all that stuff taken care of, come on back and see your old friends at MMORPG hahahaha cause odds are we will probably still be here. LOL

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by psiic

It's called LIFE.

LOL give him 2 -3 years of being a responsible parent, he will come screaming back to us beating on the door begging to be let back in.

When the first baby is 2 years-old, yep! ;)

It's called LIFE.

Exactly! haha

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    At 26 OP you are starting to feel the first tendrils of death clenching around your decaying heart, it is no wonder that in your mature phase of life you are starting to re-evaluate how you want to spend your few remaining years on the earth. Lighten up and stop worrying so much.

He has like 50-years ahead of him and I don't consider that a few. Let's hope the next 5-years turns better for gaming than  2008-2013 presented which was nothing but copy and pasted adventures. I somewhat feel the same way as the OP but it's not the age that is stopping me from enjoying games, nor is it myself that stops me from enjoying games. It's the games that stop me from having fun.

Cause we have been playing the same game since 2004! HAH- In all serious though here's to VR and the future!

All hail 2014 and beyond! Gaming is just getting started! ONWARDS BRETHERN TO A NEW AGE!

too much? :|

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    I am 23 and I am not going to stop playinng mmorpgs anytime soon. (I play only mmorpgs and sometimes moba games) I dont play because I dont have other things to do, I have gf, I work out 6 times per week, soon finishing my masters etc. But playing mmorpg is like having fantasy life :) And I enjoy that, more than going to pug and drink beer, tho I like to go to club a get wasted sometimes :D
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

For me I just realised that gaming is a leisure activity and like all things must be consumed in moderation. It's just a matter of working out a life balance, for some its easier for others it's a lot harder. While I occasionally pick up the odd 70 hour game the main games I play now, even the MMOs, i don't really play for longer than 3-4 hours.

I've picked up a lot more round based games. Things that I can pick up play for 20 minutes and put down. This is kind of the main reason I choose not to play WoW anymore. While the features may be interesting I cannot afford dedicate weekly hours to a game which amounts to grinding gear for bigger numbers. This refers mainly to raiding or any genuinely significant content.

Current games:

Warframe

Gunz 2

Guild Wars 2

Star Trek Online - just got my new dyson ship!

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

There are four types of games that I enjoy now adays:

• Regularly played throughout the years, e.g. Sid Meier's Civilization or Mount & Blade.
    • New titles from series/companies that I love. I play these for a longer period, e.g. TES.
    • New IP's (for me). These I play for until finished, usually a week. e.g. Shadow Warrior, Monsterhunter.
    • Games I play on the go. I usually play those on and off for a year or two. e.g. Binding of Isaac, Hearthstone

I don't think you grew out of gaming, I think you just got too spoiled. People who back kickstarters often times play the game and enjoy it like hell when it is out. I don't think that's because it's a better game than others. I think it's because they've been waiting for that game. And they take it for what it is when it comes out.

I waited half a decade for Skyrim and I enjoyed it, I didn't log more than 200 hours in it, but I only play for the story and I don't install any mods. It wasn't as good as the previous titles, but I said the same about Oblivion.

All in all, the wait makes the arrival more enjoyable. I'm able to take it for what it is and enjoy it.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I'm 26. I've gamed all my life aside from other things. . . .

Are we old gamers . . . 

Lol, you reckon twenty-six is old, eh!  You're barely out of nappies.   I'm more than twice your age and will still be gaming when I'm 90.   :)

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

What are you talking about, 26 is not old at all. You can still go out with people in their early 20's without looking too weird :-)

I've seen many people in their 30's (and even 40's) in online games. Sure they probably got their life straight. They probably handle stupid ingame incidents a little bit more mature. But whatever, no age limit on gaming.

You don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old because you stop playing games ;-) So gogo start playing already!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I turned 50 last August and I still play games. What's all this maturity BS? Life goes by far too quickly, enjoy it while you can.

Wow .. you are probably the only one older than me here (i am 47).

There are so many things to enjoy in life (game is one of them) ... i don't feel old at all.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Sounds like burnout to me.

Take a break from gaming and do some other stuff that you enjoy; whether it's reading, drawing, playing a sport/working out, watching some good movies or shows... anything that sounds like fun.

At some point that desire to game will rear it's head again and you'll have fun with it once more too.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

It's called LIFE.

Or he can choose not to be a parent and dedicate his life to some other pursuits. Most of my friends (including myself) have done that. Though a few went the parent route and they seem to enjoy it. image

There is a lot to life, he just needs to pick what is important and what has meaning to him.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

Maturity has nothing to do with it.

Sometimes you just get tired of hobbies and move on to something else.

"What tastes like purple?"

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

I have always found the "maturity" argument funny when speaking of gaming, it's a form of entertainment. It's like saying you are to mature for movies or books or any of the other things people do to entertain themselves. Sounds to me more like a case of burnout or boredom and we all go through those.

42 years young here and will game until I can't anymore or I am dead.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

I have always found the "maturity" argument funny when speaking of gaming, it's a form of entertainment. It's like saying you are to mature for movies or books or any of the other things people do to entertain themselves. Sounds to me more like a case of burnout or boredom and we all go through those.

More like to mature for children movies, or to mature for children books. Or to mature for toys (that are not meant for adults). Maturity does exist. Just because you and I don't want to get old doesn't mean it doesn't exist ;-)

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Domy1

26? pfft I got pants older than you

45 here, got 3 sons age 10 to 23 and they all playing rust together, family that plays together stays together

It's a lifestyle choice

I Iove this guy.

I am 40 here and still very interested in video games. Nowadays I don't game as often as I use to, but still I spend good part of my free time gaming or reading about video games, even watching Twitch.

At the moment I own a laptop and thats one of the reasons I don't game as much, but in a month I am building a nice desktop. Why? Because I love gaming. I enjoy spending my free time that way.  Some people like hunting, others like fishing, others like spend their money in their cars... I like video games. It's my HOBBY. Every man needs a hobby.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by jazz.be
    Originally posted by Lazarus71

More like to mature for children movies, or to mature for children books. Or to mature for toys (that are not meant for adults). Maturity does exist. Just because you and I don't want to get old doesn't mean it doesn't exist ;-)

In the context of gaming and being mature my statement stands, you are overthinking what I said. Just as you said there are games and movies and books aimed at children the same can be said for movies, books and games that are for mature people as stated plainly on the games themselves. All I meant was the days of saying "you are to old to be gaming" are long gone. I guess I could have just said that. ;)

No signature, I don't have a pen

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I don't feel I'm too old for games.  I just got to the point where there are other things I'd rather be doing with my time.  I'll still check out a new game once or twice a year, but I'd rather be creating music, getting my tennis game up to speed, building guitars, etc.....