Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm starting to feel too old for games...

sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

I'm 26. I've gamed all my life aside from other things. Starting to think that I've reached the maturity level that games can not be that fun anymore. When I was immature (we all dont admit that we once were), you could feel like something is special even about the wind blowing in your face. Just those little things fade away after some time, and you feel later as if you understand more about your environment as you grow up. Both emotionally, and wisefully.

Now, I know some people will say "well, hey, I'm 36 and I'm a gamer.". But where are the people that stopped playing? Are we really gaming because we have nothing else to do, or because it is fun?

A game only lasts 1 hour to 3 days for me nowadays, and I'm starting to think that I am either finished with games (but the interest in reading news about them is still there for some reason) or I just need to refuel my gaming energy. Also, I have thought since the JRPG era on consoles and later WoW, that no interesting games have come up. I bought Call of Duty: Ghosts, I've not finished playing it and will probably play more since I spent money on it, but I can't get that hype coming back for more. Honestly, I bought it since I wanted to try out a popular FPS game since JRPG ended for me, and I went to MMO... which means that maybe I'll like FPS now? I know, weird analysis by me, but it was worth the try.

I'm feeling like I need to set my priorities straight. So that I, and my family, can be happier (unconditional love ya know) about me than now. I want to find a loving woman that cares and knows me for who I am, settle down with her and bring up a family. But yeah, I have no life except my family and a few friends. So I need to travel thousands kilometers by air to my parents homeland and get to know someone from their contacts. I'm pretty much homestuck all the time, and thinking about moving over to my parents homeland and live there, where I have dozens of family and contacts. (And FYI, yes, I have had a wife before but no kids, from my parents home country. But it just didnt work out between us, she lost passion.).

Are we old gamers really nolifers, immature or attention seekers? Or do we game for fun? Since I haven't had fun gaming for a long time now.

Just my 2 cents. Letter from a worried gamer.

Comments

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I still love games.  I've taken long breaks from gaming altogether a few years here and there, but I always come back when I get bored or too stressed from work and life.  I think the key is variety, both in gaming and in life.  Get out in the real world and try different stuff.  Hop into your gaming life and mix it up.  If you're not having fun, change what you are doing.  Games are not a life sentence; they should be a way to relax or excite, not bore.  GL in your adventures.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• MithoronetteMithoronette Member UncommonPosts: 107

I've been computer gaming since I was twenty-years old, when I got my first 286 PC and fired up Wizard's Lair...and I have not stopped since.  Even before that I was a heavy AD&D player.

That was 30 years ago (do the math, yes I am 50)...and I don't think I will EVER be "too old" for games.  I still enjoy playing them.  I have plenty of things to do, and I have to actually schedule my "play" time with friends, family, and such, but it is something I thoroughly ENJOY.

I play MMO's, I play FPS'ers, and until I'm in the ground, will continue to be playing.

That you lost interest in gaming is one thing, but don't blame it on age...

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    I don't think maturity has anything to do with it.  Most people "play" one way or another their entire lives.  People don't suddenly stop playing at a certain age because they found themselves too old for it.  Think cards, bowling, dancing, etc.  You can game the rest of your life if that is an activity you continue to enjoy or you may just simply need to find yourself something else to do.   It's not much more complicated then that.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Why "worried"?

If video games are no longer fun, do something else. There are plenty of fun things in the world. Why would you worry about changing preferences?

• psypoisonpsypoison Member UncommonPosts: 17
    i am 37 and i got a life good gf my own home not a bad job i play games to have fun if i did not have fun why would i play them i  have fun playing old school and new games they are like my thing some people like sports some like movies i like games no mater how old i get.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

i turn 30 in about a month now, i have a house, girlfriend (whom i have been with for 7 years) a 3 year old son and all the rest of the stuff that comes along with it, i honestly still play games for fun, i also enjoy mmo's because of the social aspect of it, i still have a lot of close friends but due to scheduling and having kids etc... it's not always easy to find time to hang out and even less time to go partying on weekends like we used too, but i also have gamer friends, some of which are just as close as my RL friends, some of my gamer friends are also RL friends and i think it keeps a balance.

I guess the point im trying to make, i'm probably what you'd consider a mature responsible adult, but i still enjoy and like to make time for gaming too.. so i dont think that maturity has anything todo with it.. although i have times especially around RL friends where it's like "whats maturity" over the years i've taken long breaks here and there, but something always comes along to rekindle my gaming habbits and sometimes there is dry spells, where i would prefer to chill in bed and watch a movie then log onto a game... it's just a part of life, no matter how much you love something too much of it can be a bad thing. I guess thats why they say everything in moderation.

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    Thanks everyone who replied (and fast too). I feel a bit better now, and will not jump into games that easily, but look forward to one or two and wait it out and do something else in the mean time.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

Your just feeling a little burnt out, I think we all do it. When a next gen game comes your going to be interested again. For me Wildstar has rekindled my interest. For others ESO, and others EQNext..... you will find something. Give it some rest that's all, good luck with your adventures in the meantime.

Oh and btw - I'm 32 - got a house, wife, I'm a technician, ..... I do all the "grown up" stuff too.  I think the average age of someone who plays games is up to like 37 or something.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    At 26 OP you are starting to feel the first tendrils of death clenching around your decaying heart, it is no wonder that in your mature phase of life you are starting to re-evaluate how you want to spend your few remaining years on the earth. Lighten up and stop worrying so much.
  • GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by sagil

I'm 26. I've gamed all my life aside from other things. Starting to think that I've reached the maturity level that games can not be that fun anymore. When I was immature (we all dont admit that we once were), you could feel like something is special even about the wind blowing in your face. Just those little things fade away after some time, and you feel later as if you understand more about your environment as you grow up. Both emotionally, and wisefully.

Now, I know some people will say "well, hey, I'm 36 and I'm a gamer.". But where are the people that stopped playing? Are we really gaming because we have nothing else to do, or because it is fun?

A game only lasts 1 hour to 3 days for me nowadays, and I'm starting to think that I am either finished with games (but the interest in reading news about them is still there for some reason) or I just need to refuel my gaming energy. Also, I have thought since the JRPG era on consoles and later WoW, that no interesting games have come up. I bought Call of Duty: Ghosts, I've not finished playing it and will probably play more since I spent money on it, but I can't get that hype coming back for more. Honestly, I bought it since I wanted to try out a popular FPS game since JRPG ended for me, and I went to MMO... which means that maybe I'll like FPS now? I know, weird analysis by me, but it was worth the try.

I'm feeling like I need to set my priorities straight. So that I, and my family, can be happier (unconditional love ya know) about me than now. I want to find a loving woman that cares and knows me for who I am, settle down with her and bring up a family. But yeah, I have no life except my family and a few friends. So I need to travel thousands kilometers by air to my parents homeland and get to know someone from their contacts. I'm pretty much homestuck all the time, and thinking about moving over to my parents homeland and live there, where I have dozens of family and contacts. (And FYI, yes, I have had a wife before but no kids, from my parents home country. But it just didnt work out between us, she lost passion.).

Are we old gamers really nolifers, immature or attention seekers? Or do we game for fun? Since I haven't had fun gaming for a long time now.

Well for starters you need to stop playing boring crappy games like Call of Duty: Ghosts. The two games that rekindled my interest in gaming where "Deus Ex: HumanRevolution" and "Dark Souls." Check em out!

Originally posted by Gintoh

Well for starters you need to stop playing boring crappy games like Call of Duty: Ghosts. The two games that rekindled my interest in gaming where "Deus Ex: HumanRevolution" and "Dark Souls." Check em out!

Dishonored is also a good game. I just started Witcher 2 .. that is also great.

Even Crysis 2 is much better than CoD Ghost. There are plenty of good (for me) games. The OP mile may vary, but given so much out there (including indie stuff), my issue is not enough time to play games, not there is no interesting games.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is because EVERY game is doing the exact same two things,leveling and end game looting,nothing else,so of course boredom will set in when no game is delivering anything unique.

What made it far worse was when those two very simple ideas were dumbed down even further,then it gets to the point ..WHY,why did i pay for this game and support this developer?

Right now there is a lot of flooding the market with low quality gaming,nobody is coming close to what they are capable of doing.In the early days of game creation you could see that games were hitting around 75% of their potential,now lucky if i can say 50%.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I'm 26. Starting to think that I've reached the maturity level that games can not be that fun anymore.

I don't think it has anything to do with maturity. I think it has more to do with your tastes changing and you possibly being engaged by different things.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It has to do with repetition, try to play something that isn't your norm, go out of the bubble. It rekindled my interest in games by a lot. Even something as small as trying a sports game if you hate sports, you might find something you really enjoy. But don't force yourself to try to keep enjoying them. It has nothing to do with age, you are just bored.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I recommend a new hobby, perhaps base jumping? I'm too old but it should work well for you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

you cant get too old to play games.. you can however have a change in what you find entertaining.

sometimes people just get bored.. it's got nothing to do with age.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Loved playing, Deus Ex: HumanRevolution, Dark Messiah Might and Magic, Mass Effect Series.  Their are so many games out now.  A type for everyone, modders, explorers, survivalists, fighters, I even saw an adult only mmo once, who knew.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Ikaruga just released on Steam, buy that, if you can beat it you are hardcore and you can regain your gamerhood. Trust me, it's just all the casual mediocrity that has you down.

In case you never seen Ikaruga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaJhNC-M2bc

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Well, of course you're going to have people saying, "I'm XX years old and I'm still gaming." Where are the people who stopped gaming? They're not on a gaming forum . . . so there's that.

Maybe for you, gaming is filling a void which you would rather fill with other things but haven't kicked your own butt to go do it. If you want a family, then it's time to start dating and find a compatible partner that you enjoy being around. Then make babies when the two of you are ready.

Best of luck, only advice I can offer is to just get going.

• Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Why "worried"?

If video games are no longer fun, do something else. There are plenty of fun things in the world. Why would you worry about changing preferences?

^^ in a nutshell

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!

• Domy1Domy1 Member UncommonPosts: 46

26? pfft I got pants older than you

45 here, got 3 sons age 10 to 23 and they all playing rust together, family that plays together stays together

It's a lifestyle choice

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

I have mates in there's 40's who still game a LOT, and you know what, they are happier than most of my mates in there 30's who are married with kids.

Do what makes you happy, not what society says is the norm.

Originally posted by LuthorX
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Why "worried"?

^^ in a nutshell

And to add to that ... there are SO much fun stuff out there ...

I watch anime, and tv (House of Cards is *great*, amongst many great shows), movies, read novels, collect toys, taste wine, go to restaurant hopping with my wife .....

If all video games die tomorrow, there will still be plenty of entertainment for me.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

I turned 30 last month and I certainly don't get what I used to out of games. I've been playing games all my life. Generally the younger I was, the more I got out of them but when I was in my 20's I really played them to the detriment of my social life. I was dealing with other issues, mainly mental health, (I got diagnosed with bi-polar disorder), so I cannot blame my social life crumbling completely on games. Games were just a fun diversion. That said they aren't working like they used to. For awhile I found myself spending more money on them and getting less entertainment, coupled with the fact that I let them contribute to the decline of more important areas of my life.

I'm starting to learn though, I'm more self aware now and have started buying less games. I still look forward to several games and plan on playing them but I'm not under any illusion that they'll give me the same entertainment value like they did when I was a kid and I won't let them interfere with my family life like I let them interfere with my social life when I was a young man.

Is it age? I think to a certain extent it is, because I've been there and done that in most games and as a result I tend not to get so excited about them. It's not like everything is new and exciting to me anymore. Furthermore, although I am still relatively young, I know we are here for a short time only and there are more important things in life than diversions and entertainment.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

I'm feeling like I need to set my priorities straight. So that I, and my family, can be happier (unconditional love ya know) about me than now. I want to find a loving woman that cares and knows me for who I am, settle down with her and bring up a family. But yeah, I have no life except my family and a few friends. So I need to travel thousands kilometers by air to my parents homeland and get to know someone from their contacts. I'm pretty much homestuck all the time, and thinking about moving over to my parents homeland and live there, where I have dozens of family and contacts.  

Sounds like a plan. Get on with it. You're not going to find what you need in a game.