Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlayStation 4 Sells 5 Million Consoles, Beats Sales Target Ahead of Japan's Launch

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/69811/playstation-4-sells-5-million-consoles-beats-sales-target-ahead-of-japans-launch

Sony announced that it has sold through over 5.3 million units of its new PlayStation 4 console. The figure is taken from worldwide sales and is accurate as of February 8, 2014. That's nearly three months after its launch in November and a couple weeks before it launches in Japan later this week on February 22.

"I am thrilled that so many customers around the globe have continued to select PS4 as the best place to play throughout and beyond the holiday season," Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Andrew House said in a press release.

"We are delighted that according to  the NPD Group's latest data, PS4 was January's top-selling console in the United States.  The PS4 system's momentum just keeps growing stronger, and we are extremely grateful for the continued passion and support of PlayStation fans.  February 22 sees the launch of PS4 in Japan, and I'm looking forward to Japanese fans sharing the excitement of the deep social capabilities and entertainment experiences only possible on PS4."

Previously, Sony put forth a sales target that it would sell five million units before the end of its fiscal year ending March 31, 2014. With that number beat almost two full months ahead of schedule and before Japan's launch, it looks like Sony may see even more impressive numbers than expected.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

thats what happen when you keep customers happy with decent price and great services, they buy your products.

MMORPG devs need to take note.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Good for Sony, I am glad that I bought a PS4 instead of an Xbox One. If the PS4 keeps on doing this well more developers will make more games and optimize them more for the PS4 due to the high market.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292
    I can't say they are lying because we've been trying to find a freaking PS4 for the past week and every store I check is sold out. Would be one thing if I was in a small town with like only a couple stores. It's another when I'm in Houston, the fourth largest city in the country and can't find the damn thing lol. Oh well. They say check regularly so I keep doing so daily.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Zhauric
    I can't say they are lying because we've been trying to find a freaking PS4 for the past week and every store I check is sold out. Would be one thing if I was in a small town with like only a couple stores. It's another when I'm in Houston, the fourth largest city in the country and can't find the damn thing lol. Oh well. They say check regularly so I keep doing so daily.

Did you try looking for one online?

EDIT: Never mind they are all probably over priced online

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Zhauric
    I can't say they are lying because we've been trying to find a freaking PS4 for the past week and every store I check is sold out.  They say check regularly so I keep doing so daily.

Did you try looking for one online?

Im on his same boat but i refuse to buy it online because im trying to trade in my two old consoles. At this rate i'll have to just buy it and then sell the old ones.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Not surprised.. Sony created a decent system at the right price range.
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Brother in law is in the Army, so I was able to get one on base. Tax free also. If you have friends in the military, have them check the exchange for you, they have restrictions on who can shop there, so there is a better chance of availability

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Amazon has them but they must be hot because none are Prime eligible.  Xbox1  is eligible for Prime. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I don't really care for consoles but from what I've been reading Microsoft forgot the main purpose of these machines is to play games, they wanted to make an tv entertainment system that can also play games.  I'm glad that Sony is pulling so far ahead and hopefully become the popular system, they kinda deserve it since they are the company that didn't seem to take their audience for granted.

More powerful console, a lot cheaper and it was always said to be a games console first.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

Now we just need them awesome games to come out!

In the meantime , i'll play me some Zen Pinball!! XD

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

I have been to several stores this week (ToysR'US, Wal-mart and BestBuy) All three were sold out of PS4 while they had plenty of Xbone Ones on the shelves.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

I bought an xbox one and while I enjoy it, I have to give it to sony they really did make the better console.  The tv functionality of the xbox one isn't consistent and the Kinect while better, is just as annoying as the first one.  It will be a while until we see who has the better games.  I'm excited for titanfall and of course halo at some point, but when it comes to the raw gaming machine, the ps4 has more power and costs less and I don't think the things the Kinect does makes up for that loss of power and a larger price point. 

So nothing to hate on really about the xbox, but they are going to need to get it to $400 soon I think or ps4 is going to run away with sales at some point (japan release incoming).  If they refuse to dump the Kinect, they just need to accept they are going to have to take the loss on including it with the system.  I do most of my gaming on my pc, and actually I play my Wii U more than my xbox one, the gamepad is nice to just sit on the couch and play while watching tv and xbox just hasn't released a lot of games I want to play yet.

Not all who wander are lost...

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Reham34

Glad they are selling good.  Hope they can get past the credit downgrade, the $1.1 billion loss they are projecting for the year.  Unfortunately Sony is going to need some other things to help out since ps4 only makes $18 profit / unit. 

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-06/sony-forecasts-annual-loss-as-hirai-turnaround-stalls-on-tvs.html

http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/playstation-4-cost-to-build/

The fact that they are making profit on each unit though, is encouraging, for the PS3 they were taking a loss, which given how popular the PS4 is, it wouldn't be wrong to say it is the most popular and sought after Console on the market, and will undoubtedly affect future game development, at least for the console market. Sony's fortunes could indeed improve dramatically in the next few years just on that basis. Whether the XB1 can reverse Microsofts fortunes though, remains to be seen, given their recent failures with Win8 and Surface, they would probably be in even bigger trouble if their business software wasn't in profit. But its not something that most people even care about, and i've no doubt in 5 years time we'll be arguing about the respective qualities of the upcoming consoles again, this time around though, Sony wins.image

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Phry

Glad they are selling good.  Hope they can get past the credit downgrade, the $1.1 billion loss they are projecting for the year.  Unfortunately Sony is going to need some other things to help out since ps4 only makes $18 profit / unit. 

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-06/sony-forecasts-annual-loss-as-hirai-turnaround-stalls-on-tvs.html

http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/playstation-4-cost-to-build/

The fact that they are making profit on each unit though, is encouraging, for the PS3 they were taking a loss, which given how popular the PS4 is, it wouldn't be wrong to say it is the most popular and sought after Console on the market, and will undoubtedly affect future game development, at least for the console market. Sony's fortunes could indeed improve dramatically in the next few years just on that basis. Whether the XB1 can reverse Microsofts fortunes though, remains to be seen, given their recent failures with Win8 and Surface, they would probably be in even bigger trouble if their business software wasn't in profit. But its not something that most people even care about, and i've no doubt in 5 years time we'll be arguing about the respective qualities of the upcoming consoles again, this time around though, Sony wins.image

Yeah not sure what you mean by turning around Microsoft fortune.  Granted PC suck for everyone including sony who just sold their PC division.  But Microsoft revenue and profits were up in q2 '14 thanks to xbox and tablet sales.  So it's great that Sony is making money this time ps 4 is a impressive machine, but xb1 is no slouch either just gets a lot of bad press and hate.  

http://www.itworldcanada.com/post/surface-tablets-xbox-lift-microsoft-profits

Also not sure how windows 8 failed?  It helped boots profits 18% 

http://theeconomistng.blogspot.com/2013/04/windows-8-lifts-microsofts-profit-19.html?m=1

Not sure how Win8 can be viewed as helping boosting profits for MS, given that its also widely regarded as the reason for holding back sales in PC's. Win 8 is used by a small fraction of the worldwide PC using community, sales of Win 7 still far outstrip that of win 8, and i don't see that changing any time soon, and the Office software/licencing is still seen as the basis of most of MS profits.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/electronics/10593736/Microsoft-profits-boosted-by-Office-and-Xbox-One.html

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-google-microsoft-where-does-the-money-come-from-7000026043/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

ps4 is outselling xb1 but by no means leaving xb1 scrambling, considering ps4 is in 31 more territories.  

agree

both consoles still need more games before they are worth buying  (in my opinion)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The power of $399.00... Sony really has no exclusives on it worth buying a PS4 for.  Infamous: Second Son looks bad, The Order is still an unknown and Uncharted could be light years away. I was all excited for a PS4 and then I saw their games line up and changed my mind.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by orionblack

Now we just need them awesome games to come out!

In the meantime , i'll play me some Zen Pinball!! XD

PS4 version of War Thunder is pretty good.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Sony does not profit $18 on each PS4 sold. That is raw materials and does not include labor, shipping and any other expense associated with the system itself.

Sony actually loses $60 on each PS4 sold.

However, PS+ subscriptions have tripled and game sales are dominated by PS4(ie more licensing fees for Sony) which offset the loss of the system.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    The power of $399.00... Sony really has no exclusives on it worth buying a PS4 for.  Infamous: Second Son looks bad, The Order is still an unknown and Uncharted could be light years away. I was all excited for a PS4 and then I saw their games line up and changed my mind.

I could say the same thing about Xbone.  I played all its exclusives at my friends house.  Ryse was very short, buggy as hell, and full of Quick Time Events.  Killer Instincts was a let down for me as a huge fan of the original, it only had like 6 characters.  I would rather get Injustice in terms of fighting games which may not be exclusive but at least its on PS4 unlike Xbone.  Forza was just a joke of a racing game, for a next gen title it sure didnt impress in terms of graphics, especially when the people in background look like cardboard cut outs.

Dead Rising 3 was ok, just not as amazing as the xbox fans make it out to be.  But liking one game is not enough for most people to spend 500 dollars on for a console.

At least PS4 has so many good titles on PSN and more coming.  A lot of good free titles too.  On top of that games like Metal Gear will be full 1080p 60 FPS while on xbone it will be 720p.

I looked at a list of upcoming confirmed exclusives on IGN i think it was, and in the long run PS4 had the largest number of exclusive titles.  And I would rather play majority of multi-platform games on PS4 as well because of performance and quality of graphics.  What makes Infamous Second Son look bad?  If you played the first two than you know its gonna be good.

And here is some released gameplay footage of The Order 1886 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS74P_jsmgs&hd=1

• dragonslayer4everdragonslayer4ever Member Posts: 22
    Congratz Sony~!! You've never let us down and will be confident that you will be able to come out with more awesome stuff. :) 
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by Reham34 Glad they are selling good.  Hope they can get past the credit downgrade, the $1.1 billion loss they are projecting for the year.  Unfortunately Sony is going to need some other things to help out since ps4 only makes $18 profit / unit. 
    Sony does not profit $18 on each PS4 sold. That is raw materials and does not include labor, shipping and any other expense associated with the system itself.   Sony actually loses $60 on each PS4 sold. However, PS+ subscriptions have tripled and game sales are dominated by PS4(ie more licensing fees for Sony) which offset the loss of the system.
    Xbox live is up 18% to 48million.

not exactly sure where you got your dominating game numbers?  

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders//

dominating would be 5 out of the top 5 or at least 4 out of 5, they don't even have the top game.  

LOL

Using vgchartz as a link?

Thats hilarious.

Look at the sales data from NPD or Chart Track.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

Everybody knows that the XBOX ONE is just another tool for the NSA to spy on gamers anyways...

Thats the reason I bought a ps4 anyways.

@!#$# YOU AMERICA!

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by ellobo29

Everybody knows that the XBOX ONE is just another tool for the NSA to spy on gamers anyways...

Thats the reason I bought a ps4 anyways.

@!#$# YOU AMERICA!

Well I suggest you destroy the device you used to post this ridiculous comment.  While your at it destroy any other electronic device you own.  

On a side note I would rather have NSA watch me playing a video game (which they don't ) than have all my data hacked and sold to the nearest criminal (which happened with ps network). 

Console fanboism...Pfft.

GTFO the master race's forums.  

J/K   image

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

These lists were compiled using a combination of information on Eurogamer and Wikipedia.

XBOX ONE EXCLUSIVES The XB1 has 16 exclusive titles. These are as follows: Below, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3, D4, Fantasia: Music Evolved, Forza Motorsport 5, Halo, Killer Instinct, Kinect Sports Rivals, LocoCycle, Minecraft: Xbox One Edition, Powerstar Golf, Quantum Break, Ryse: Son of Rome, Sunset Overdrive, Zoo Tycoon

PS4 EXCLUSIVES The PS4 has eight exclusive titles. These are as follows: Basement Crawl, Driveclub, Infamous: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack, The Order: 1886, Secret Ponchos and Super Stardust HD.

beyond exclusive are titles that will not be on XBOX1  - but are on PS3 / PS4 / PC

like DCUO and the forthcoming FFXIV

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I have a PS4 and an XB1.   

The XB1 is stuffed in a drawer, it's that awesome.