Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is it?

DemonicasDemonicas Member Posts: 102

First off, let me start this topic by saying.....YOU LUCKY SONS' OF ******!! LOL j/k

As you can tell, i dont have the game. And even if i did have the game,( which btw, for the record, i could have got my hands on a copy the 26th, shhh ) i couldn't play it as my isp screwed me over and says i owe them like 300$ for over-due un-paid bills.  SO WHERE DID ALL MY CHECKS GO ASSHOLES?( sorry for language)

Anywayz, i wanna know how is it guys? Is it everything it was built up to be?( for those of you who can actually play, i read a couple of posts in other topics, seems quite a bit of people having trouble even getting started)

Also what exactly would i need to play? what are the min specs needed to play so when i finally get this crap straightened out with my isp i can play.

I want to play....play FFXI!!!!

I saw an angel of death come from the clouds one day, it touched my heart and smiled, then flew away, i felt my heart turn black and cold, and embraced this new power that i now hold

I saw an angel of death come from the clouds one day, it touched my heart and smiled, then flew away, i felt my heart turn black and cold, and embraced this new power that i now hold

Comments

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I personally was pleasantly surprised.  The game is better then I expected and looks like it will be fun for a while. 

I don't think its going to be on par with some of the other new ones coming out like Lineage 2, WoW, or EQ2, but It looks fun enough to keep me busy for the months till one of those does come out.

There are some horrid UI and control issues and the terrain/wilderness graphics are a bit behind but the gameplay so far has been fun with some neat selections of jobs.  I haven't played enough to really review it in detail but I will say its the best mmorpg I have played so far outside of EQ and DAoC.

• SamusicSamusic Member CommonPosts: 466
    The controls you can change, and the graphics reflect that of your graphics card and how you configured the GFX settings for the game.

I have a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra with 256 ram and all settings in FFO graphics set to max.  The character models are fantastic but some of the terrain graphics just dont seem as good as they could have made them.

I did hear that the FFO config tool doesnt really allow you to take full advantage of the graphics and that you can force things with your drivers.  The link below talks about it so maybe thats one way to improve it but so far the bump mapping and textures on the terrain just seem to be lacking for some reason. 

oops bad link.

The buildings and characters look like more attention was payed to them.  All in all I think its a good game from my short time playing.

• Darkknight35Darkknight35 Member UncommonPosts: 126
    leet =p

• DemonicasDemonicas Member Posts: 102
    Sounds good... But someone tell me about gameplay. Anything new that differs from other mmorpgs?

The unique job system and the conquest system.

Just as a follow up, after playing all weekend I am loving this game.  image

I still hate the controls and the camera could use some work but besides that I am really enjoying it and have a hard time logging out.  image

Like Samusic said, the unique jobs and the mixing of jobs (main and sub) makes for many fun combinations and you can try lots of them really easy. 

I didnt expect much from this game and instead found it to be my second favorite of all the mmorpgs I have tried.  If you can learn to live with the crappy controls there are many things to do to keep entertained.

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

I find that EQ and SWG are polar opposites in game play styles.

Would you say it is more like EQ, or more like SWG?

And have they fixed the language translation issues, and are there any North American servers yet?

FINBAR [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------
    EQ (release to lvl 59)
    DAOC (release to lvl 50)
    AC (Beta)
    AC2 (Beta to Lvl 50)
    AO (Beta)
    Neocron (Beta)
    WW2 (Beta)
    Eve Online (Beta)
    Planet Side (Beta)
    Second Life Online (Beta)
    War Craft 3 (Beta)
    Black Moon Chronicle (Beta-End)
    SB (Beta)
    SWG (Beta, and post beta to master level fencer)
    Now Playing: Nothing

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673

This game has a few similarities but also some differences to Everquest:

Similarities:

-Travel time for a novice character is long.

-Leveling is slow (I haven't learned much about EXP chains)

-A moderate amount of downtime is required, I'm not sure how much is needed at latter levels but for the most part it seems to be a constant 40-50seconds to recharge from 0 mana to full mana.

-Death Penalty is harsh (about a 10% exp loss upon death. At level 7 that's 200xp and some of the more challanging mobs, the equivilent to a blue-yellow give about 50-72xp)

-Travel Time is a bother for the novice character. At later levels chocobos, airships, and boats (haven't found one yet) seem to help a lot.

-Mobs DO NOT stop following you till you zone, much like EQ.

-At later levels, partying becomes the only viable option for the most part.

-The auction system is like the bazaar in EQ except it's much improved, players do not need to be online.

Differneces:

-Quest are amazing in Final Fantasy XI, much more in depth and detailed then any MMORPG to date. Several have their own cutscenes!

-Money and decent items seem easier to come by then in EQ.

-Combat is a lot more indepth, or at least cool looking (every monster has its own special attacks, each weapon has its own special attacks, spell effects are well done).

There are probably a ton of differences but their are far too many to list. FFXI is a great game for the most part, but it brought, or seems to have brought, a few of the uglier aspects from EQ with it.

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

Interestingly I like the bad things in EQ. I like exp death penalty. I like being forced to group. I like zones. To me these are the frusterating things that made my high level characters such a satisfaction. When you achieve a high level character (better yet, a high level guild) under difficult circumstances, then you have truely achieved something memorable. Where as if you achieve high levels in games like SWG and AC2 it is such an easy acomplishment that you dont feel like you have achieved anything special, and so will fail to become addicted to that sort of senario. These things you have listed Zohar I appreseate thank you. Furthermore I like the idea of them. Now if I could gaurentee that their is indeed an english speaking community in the game, then perhaps I will pick it up. A video up grade may be a nessesity, but I ran SWG ok, and that was a beast of an engine, so we shall see. I'll run the bench mark as soon as I learn positive news about a FFO's english speaking player community (hopefully roleplayers).

I know... I ask alote. But hell I give alote back to a community as well when the option is given.

Thanks for the input Zohar, enjoy your game.

FINBAR [email protected]
    EQ (release to lvl 59)
    DAOC (release to lvl 50)
    AC (Beta)
    AC2 (Beta to Lvl 50)
    AO (Beta)
    Neocron (Beta)
    WW2 (Beta)
    Eve Online (Beta)
    Planet Side (Beta)
    Second Life Online (Beta)
    War Craft 3 (Beta)
    Black Moon Chronicle (Beta-End)
    SB (Beta)
    SWG (Beta, and post beta to master level fencer)
    Now Playing: Nothing

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673

I recieved a 2135 for the low res benchmark and a 1735 for high res. I'm playing in High Res with little to now graphic lag =). As for American speaking players, there are a large amount that is growing everyday,  but many high level Japenese players are present. In time I'm sure more and more Americans will play evening out the population distribution. As far as picking the game up? I'd recommend it if your High Res score is over 1500 (and you have a video card w/ 64MB of ram at least) and also if your a big Final Fantasy Fan. If you're not you may enjoy the game but there's also a chance you may not. I recommend trying the game at a friend's house (watch them play, the controls will make you seek Square-Enix's throat, better you get frustrated with them after you buy it, they could sour the expeierence lol).

Glad I could help, maybe someday we'll see you on =)

Of course there's a large English speaking community. There's a huge one. There were a lot of people here who bought the game. Anyway, all the Japanese are extremely nice, and usually have had 6-10 years of English, albeit with no real life practice. So, they can communicate you in short, simple sentances if need be without the translator.

Hey thnx for all the replys. I already new that as soon as i got my isp back i was going to get the game, so my friend has a copy waiting for me when i finally get back my isp.

Im a hudge FF fan to begin with, so that alone sold me on the game, i have also read a little bit about it, which made me even more anxious to play the game.

And now with everyone's comments, the game seems like its going to be that much more fantastic.

the controls sound like they may get annoying, but i have gone through alot in some games, so that wont ruin it for me.

if anyone else has anything else they can think of, or if you just run into somthing that is cool or what-not then let me know.

• EykeEyke Member Posts: 60
    i'll have to agree with all them... image

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

I have to (god forbid :-) ) agree with Finbar. You need English speaking servers. Players who can speak short English sentences is just not good enough.

I have no pride in the fact that I cannot speak a word of Japanese. But you don’t play a MMORPG to learn a new language.

We have all sorts of European guys on AC2 Dawnsong, but they all speak English. Again I can’t speak their languages and that’s hardly a merit on my part, mind you I would have to speak about five different languages fluently with theirs and Japanese :).

Lets wise up, there is a limit to this cross culture thing and language is that limit. Once we get our online translator parser we can all go on one big happy server, but till then you need different language servers.

• elf-arrowelf-arrow Member Posts: 14
    imageLineage 2 or ffXI????image

• EykeEyke Member Posts: 60
    lol omost hard....or maybe...i didn't think hard eff

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    People allways do this. FFXI is out now Lin 2 is not nuff said.

Scot's right, FFXI is out right now, Lineage2 has a ways to go before being released, so it not really fare to either game to vote which you like best. Since only FFXI is out, everyone that loves the game so far/all the FF nuts, ( including myself ) will say nothing but good things. While Lineage2 gets left in the dust due to nobody playing it...BECAUSE ITS NOT OUT. image

Wait untill both games are out and have plenty of people playing, then try another pole.image

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

Awesome Game... Period. Deep gameplay and so far so good storyline. I woudl go on but im sleepy. maybe later. :)

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

"Everything is mine and your woman too"