Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So these are the classes?

2»

Comments

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Does the point of view of the OP frustrate anyone else?  So you'd rather just one class do the healing, one class do the tanking and maybe a couple do DPS?  Where's the variety?  That's an extremely boring and closed minded way of doing things.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by Raunu
    Does the point of view of the OP frustrate anyone else?  So you'd rather just one class do the healing, one class do the tanking and maybe a couple do DPS?  Where's the variety?  That's an extremely boring and closed minded way of doing things.

You are correct. One of the many reasons DAoC failed, at least on my server. While our side had a great population, it had extremely few healers, to the point where we were not viable in battles as there was no one to heal us. By allowing DPS classes to switch to healing roles it allows people to either become hybrid or full on healers with extreme ease so that necessary role can be filled quickly without being stuck in that role forever. Making a healing ONLY class is a terrible idea thats proven not to work.

• elvigyelvigy Member CommonPosts: 249
    Rift has a similar system. Mages for example can swap out souls to either focus on healing or focus on DPS. I like systems that have this kind of flexibility built in. That way you can pick a class that suits your style but not be forced into one way of playing it.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Annekynn

Originally posted by Raunu

You are correct. One of the many reasons DAoC failed, at least on my server. While our side had a great population, it had extremely few healers, to the point where we were not viable in battles as there was no one to heal us. By allowing DPS classes to switch to healing roles it allows people to either become hybrid or full on healers with extreme ease so that necessary role can be filled quickly without being stuck in that role forever. Making a healing ONLY class is a terrible idea thats proven not to work.

Well, it has worked in the past....  But that was long long time ago in. eQ or DAoC wher i leveled a class all the way in groups... Fullfealing a full healing role..    And even in WoW, with its easy accessible dungeons i recently leveled a healer from level 15 up to 90, by only healing...

but for games like wildstar for all the above reasons it would really be a bad idea...   There is to much great solo content and not enough group content during leveling

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by joejccva71

Warrior - Tank/DPS
    Esper - CC/Heal/DPS
    Spellslinger - Heal/DPS
    Medic - Heal/DPS
    Engineer - DPS/CC/Heal/Tank/Do the dishes/Go grocery shopping/ Did I miss anything?
    Stalker - DPS/Tank

So basically, most of the classes...can welll...do everything?

Tell me...why in the hell would I play a Spellslinger over a Medic? Or better yet, why don't I just play an Engineer and be amazing at everything?

Why can't a Medic JUST heal? An Esper JUST do CC and dome DPS? A warrior JUST tank? A Spellslinger JUST do DPS?

What is with these game developers making a "lets just make 6 classes that can do everything!"

It's sort of like having most of the classes be designed the way druids or shaman are in WoW.  The 'why did they do this' is actually pretty easy to answer I think.  Carbine is trying to put the sexy back into large scale themepark raiding, and the easiest way to make this happen without having this games end game content go to shit is by allowing classes to be designed the way a Pally/Sham/Druid is in WoW.  For anyone that raided in WoW during the 40 mans you realize that healers and tanks are in constant high demand.  Instead of making people re-roll an entirely new character they can now fill their guilds raid spots for tanks/heals simply by re-gearing.  It's what will keep this games end game alive

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Airwren

Warrior - Tank/DPS
    Esper - CC/Heal/DPS
    Spellslinger - Heal/DPS
    Medic - Heal/DPS
    Engineer - DPS/CC/Heal/Tank/Do the dishes/Go grocery shopping/ Did I miss anything?
    Stalker - DPS/Tank

Tell me...why in the hell would I play a Spellslinger over a Medic? Or better yet, why don't I just play an Engineer and be amazing at everything?

Why can't a Medic JUST heal? An Esper JUST do CC and dome DPS? A warrior JUST tank? A Spellslinger JUST do DPS?

What is with these game developers making a "lets just make 6 classes that can do everything!"

It's sort of like having most of the classes be designed the way druids or shaman are in WoW.  The 'why did they do this' is actually pretty easy to answer I think.  Carbine is trying to put the sexy back into large scale themepark raiding, and the easiest way to make this happen without having this games end game content go to shit is by allowing classes to be designed the way a Pally/Sham/Druid is in WoW.  For anyone that raided in WoW during the 40 mans you realize that healers and tanks are in constant high demand.  Instead of making people re-roll an entirely new character they can now fill their guilds raid spots for tanks/heals simply by re-gearing.  It's what will keep this games end game alive

Another good explanation as why the twofold classes in Wildstar  are a solution for many problems... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Warrior - Tank/DPS
    Esper - CC/Heal/DPS
    Spellslinger - Heal/DPS
    Medic - Heal/DPS
    Stalker - DPS/Tank

Each class can perform two roles. Tank/DPS or Heal/DPS. No class can perform all three primary roles. Each class brings their own unique spin on each mechanic. For example, the Medic is a mid to close range healer that has higher armor than Esper or SS and can also perform them while moving. There are tons of examples of how each role is performed differently and all of this info is available on their class page an in their live streams. 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.