Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New machine - fan making noise

AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
A fan somewhere in the machine is making a constant noise now :/ Should I get it replaced since it's quite annoying. It's a new machine, shouldn't be having any problems with it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Comments

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    A fan somewhere in the machine is making a constant noise now :/ Should I get it replaced since it's quite annoying. It's a new machine, shouldn't be having any problems with it.

make sure a something hasn't fallen in the fans path. 9/10, when one of my fans started making noises, it was just that.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

More information is needed.  This could be completely normal, or it could be the result of poor hardware choices.

What are your system specs?  Did you build it or buy it from a company?  Does it always make noise or just when you are gaming?

Certain stock CPU fans tend to be somewhat loud under load.  Video card fans can also be loud when under load.  If your fan is making noise when the system is not under load, then I would make sure no wires are hitting the fan.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    a new fan is the simplest fix in the world and gives you chances to think of aftermarket anyway. my 2k rig i am buiding has a fan like that but thats because there a metal lip touching the fan ill just bend it out a hair haha and voila. so if it is faulty hardware dont sweat it its the cheapest part of the machine next to the screws i guess..
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Well, this is the complete part list:

CPUNIT-I74829K - Intel S2011 Core i7 4820K 3.70Ghz 2 X Quad Core CPU

ACCFANINT-S2011HF - Intel S2011 Heatsink and fan

MOTMSI-X79MA-GD45 - MSI 2S011 MicroATX X79MA-GD45 Motherboard

RAMCRU-4Gx1DDR3 - DDR3 4GB 16000mHZ ram module

HDDSEA-ST2000DM001 - 2TB Seagate 72000rpm SATA 6Gb/s HDD

VIDGIG-N660OC-2GD Gigabyte 2G GTX660 PCle Video Card

REM-NOMONITOR1

CASTJE-VP600M1N2N - Thermaltake ATX Urban S41 Case Black

POWTHE-SP-TTW0356 - 700 Watt Thermaltake LitePower Power Supply

DVDWASU-DRW-24D3S - Asus 24x DRW-24D3ST DVD Writer OEM

REM-SND - Integrated Sound card

REM-NIC - Intergrated Network Card

+ speakers, keyboard (microsoft) 

I have to tilt it at 45 degreese for the noise to stop which isn't ideal.

• FermianFermian Member UncommonPosts: 28

You still have to find out which fan produces the noise.

General rule, bigger fans can turn slower with the same air movement. And slower fans = less or no noise. And it's also better to have two fans turning at 50% instead of one at max.

When its your cpu you can reduce the speed of the fan. But high temperatures may damage your cpu, so you have to make sure the airflow is still good enough to prevent this.

• FermianFermian Member UncommonPosts: 28

I have to tilt it at 45 degreese for the noise to stop which isn't ideal.

Probably a cable which touches the fan.

Originally posted by syntax42

More information is needed.  This could be completely normal, or it could be the result of poor hardware choices.

What are your system specs?  Did you build it or buy it from a company?  Does it always make noise or just when you are gaming?

Certain stock CPU fans tend to be somewhat loud under load.  Video card fans can also be loud when under load.  If your fan is making noise when the system is not under load, then I would make sure no wires are hitting the fan.

There are multiple questions in my post for a reason, and it is not so they can be ignored.  If you can answer all of those questions, it can help in determining the cause of your fan noise.

Also, don't be afraid to open your case up and slow the fans by hand until you find the right one.  Don't stick your finger in the blades.  Instead, touch the center of the fan to slow it down momentarily.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    If you can tilt the box and it stops chances are a cable is touching the blades. Open the box and have a look inside, should be a fairly easy fix.
    Ahh sorry didn't mean to ignore usually posting when 95% of my energy is depleted. I bought it from Computer Alliance and it is a constant noise gaming or not. Opened up stopped each fan still noise. If there is cables touching something I can't see it. hate to resort to getting someone around especialy if it can probaly be fixed in 5 seconds. 

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

phone a buddy that has good pc kung-fu or take it to where you bought it.

maybe you pay a fiew $ and some one will fix the problem.

I payed a lot of people to help me my pc knolledge is only 3 years old now.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Look for wear marks on your cables. When you open the case, you may not be able to tell if something is touching a fan. I had a noise issue on my system, could not find it, till I noticed a cable had exposed copper due to the fan eating the sheilding.
    Something simple as some zip ties to hold cables out of the way saved me.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Ahh sorry didn't mean to ignore usually posting when 95% of my energy is depleted. I bought it from Computer Alliance and it is a constant noise gaming or not. Opened up stopped each fan still noise. If there is cables touching something I can't see it. hate to resort to getting someone around especialy if it can probaly be fixed in 5 seconds. 

If it is always making noise and the noise doesn't change when gaming, it is likely not a CPU or GPU fan.  That only leaves case fans, if it is even a fan making noise.

Is the system still under warranty?  If it is, contact the company and tell them it is making a strange noise.  If your warranty is expired, you will have to find and fix the issue.

Are you sure you checked all of the fans?  Some case designs add a fan to the front of the case which is not easy to see or touch due to being blocked by drive bays.  If it isn't a fan, unplug all of the power connectors from your drives.  Does it still make noise when you turn it on without drives plugged in?

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

PWM fans (connected to the motherboard instead of molex plugs)?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Starting to sound like the power supply fan. If so the power supply will need to be replaced. Opening a power supply is dangerous. Don't do it.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by Grunty

Starting to sound like the power supply fan. If so the power supply will need to be replaced. Opening a power supply is dangerous. Don't do it.

Opening power supplies isn't dangerous (would be a lot of dead case modders if so), it voids the PSU's warranty though. Some of the better PSUs allow replacing the fan as easily as case fans, and would require opening the PSU cover anyway.

But noise comes via vibration and solid state electronics won't make it (noise it can, but not vibration noise, that's a moving part and the only moving parts in a computer that constantly run are HDD and fans). Since case fans he stopped, there's 3 fans left in modern computers:

1. PSU fan.

2. GPU fan.

3. HSF fan.

Any of those items can't be shut off without damaging the PSU/videocard/processor. Short of having a PSU, GPU and another HSF to swap, he won't fix the issue if it's any of them.

So that leaves deducting if it's a problem with plugs, especially with the new fangled pulse modulated fans used in more and more PSUs and HSFs. A common problem is ensuring they're seated properly (easy problem with plugins). The secondary problem is deducting if there's an issue with the motherboard fan connector itself (very easy to damage them).

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Kevyne-Shandris

Opening power supplies isn't dangerous (would be a lot of dead case modders if so), it voids the PSU's warranty though. Some of the better PSUs allow replacing the fan as easily as case fans, and would require opening the PSU cover anyway.

But noise comes via vibration and solid state electronics won't make it (noise it can, but not vibration noise, that's a moving part and the only moving parts in a computer that constantly run are HDD and fans). Since case fans he stopped, there's 3 fans left in modern computers:

1. PSU fan.

2. GPU fan.

3. HSF fan.

Any of those items can't be shut off without damaging the PSU/videocard/processor. Short of having a PSU, GPU and another HSF to swap, he won't fix the issue if it's any of them.

So that leaves deducting if it's a problem with plugs, especially with the new fangled pulse modulated fans used in more and more PSUs and HSFs. A common problem is ensuring they're seated properly (easy problem with plugins). The secondary problem is deducting if there's an issue with the motherboard fan connector itself (very easy to damage them).

This person can't narrow down the location of a noise in a 2 and a half foot square box. He shouldn't be messing with capacitors. Much less know what a Molex plug is.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    This person can't narrow down the location of a noise in a 2 and a half foot square box. He shouldn't be messing with capacitors. Much less know what a Molex plug is.

True.

But this is a public forum as well.

Some of the info I see in troubleshooting (and even building computers) tend to be over complicated more so to show expertise, than practicality. If a computer shop was run like some of the info out there proclaims to be "right", they'd cease to exist for not only the expense of lab work conditions, they'd never get a job finished in time.

All anyone here can do without a video of the case setup, and most importantly, a sound file of the noise all we can do is surmise what is wrong.

Thanks I managed to locate the problem fan. It was actualy hidden outside the box in a seperate compartment. A piece of plastic from the fan was hitting the blades. Rectified by cutting off the plastic with scissors.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

True.

Some of the info I see in troubleshooting (and even building computers) tend to be over complicated more so to show expertise, than practicality. If a computer shop was run like some of the info out there proclaims to be "right", they'd cease to exist for not only the expense of lab work conditions, they'd never get a job finished in time.

All anyone here can do without a video of the case setup, and most importantly, a sound file of the noise all we can do is surmise what is wrong.

Not to mention that sound is a funny thing and human hearing works in a very specific way.  Where a sound is coming from isn't always clear when there are several sound sources all within two feet of each other.  So good on you.  I've probably seen more good advice in these forums for hardware issues than anywhere else on the internet.   :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

True.

Not to mention that sound is a funny thing and human hearing works in a very specific way.  Where a sound is coming from isn't always clear when there are several sound sources all within two feet of each other.  So good on you.  I've probably seen more good advice in these forums for hardware issues than anywhere else on the internet.   :-)

Well, that sound the OP just mentioned above, techs can tell what is causing it, and can pinpoint where it's coming from. That is an annoying sound, especially the film that can overlay some video card fans and often forgotten to remove after it's seated.

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

If you can put together Legos, you can fix this yourself. The biggest secret about building a PC, is a well trained chimp can do it.

I'm not talking about your own custom water cooling, or anything more advanced like that. Just building a decent gaming PC.

What you should do is replace all your fans with Noctua fans, including the CPU cooler, if you hate noise (probably have some).

If it's the GPU fan? It's a bit more complicated to fix for a beginner and the card should be returned.  

If you can't figure out how replace fans in your computer? PC gaming probably isn't right for you. Stick with consoles. You will never have to worry about hardware again.

Just watch a you tube video on how to build a computer, see for yourself how easy it is. Fans are the easiest thing about it.

"What tastes like purple?"

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

How is opening a PSU dangerous? When it is unplugged and harmless? I don't think he should, because he is a beginner.

However, isn't that like saying, "Toasters when plugged in are dangerous to shower with. Regardless how shinny they are."

"What tastes like purple?"

Originally posted by Epicon

How is opening a PSU dangerous? When it is unplugged and harmless? I don't think he should, because he is a beginner.

However, isn't that like saying, "Toasters when plugged in are dangerous to shower with. Regardless how shinny they are."

It could be dangerous if a person messed with the caps. Caps can store enough charge to kill someone (only need 1 amp, and just look at how many amps a PSU can store -- think it takes 12hrs to discharge a PSU naturally to be safe to handle).

That's why with the older TV sets there were death symbols on the back of the TV, because an older TV had enough cap charge after being unplugged that could kill outright (took 3 days to fully discharge TV caps naturally).

If you can put together Legos, you can fix this yourself. The biggest secret about building a PC, is a well trained chimp can do it.

I'm not talking about your own custom water cooling, or anything more advanced like that. Just building a decent gaming PC.

What you should do is replace all your fans with Noctua fans, including the CPU cooler, if you hate noise (probably have some).

If it's the GPU fan? It's a bit more complicated to fix for a beginner and the card should be returned.  

If you can't figure out how replace fans in your computer? PC gaming probably isn't right for you. Stick with consoles. You will never have to worry about hardware again.

Just watch a you tube video on how to build a computer, see for yourself how easy it is. Fans are the easiest thing about it.

You do realize that the OP found the fan that was making the noise and cut away the bit of plastic that was causing it, right?

It could be dangerous if a person messed with the caps. Caps can store enough charge to kill someone (only need 1 amp, and just look at how many amps a PSU can store -- think it takes 12hrs to discharge a PSU naturally to be safe to handle).

That's why with the older TV sets there were death symbols on the back of the TV, because an older TV had enough cap charge after being unplugged that could kill outright (took 3 days to fully discharge TV caps naturally).

The television tube itself was a giant capacitor.  Even if you removed all the external electronics and wires and such, the tube itself could still kill you.  Or make really big sparks.  And a very loud noise.  Melted bits of metal too. :-)

We used to play with old televisions if you're wondering.