Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve a viable option for someone like me?

CordenCorden Member UncommonPosts: 68

Well, here's where I'm at: I went from playing MMO's for years for hours and hours a day to finally getting a job about six months ago. Now that I have a job, I plan to start some form of college soon. I haven't really played MMO's in almost a year, I was console gaming instead, but I've been keeping up with them and am considering restarting one I can play in my free time.

One of the reasons I'm considering Eve, even though with my soon to be busy schedule, that Eve would be a decent choice since I could level my skills offline and study while mining. If my understanding is correct, it would give me some ways to progress even when I can't fully dedicate myself to it. Then on my days off, I could focus on more hands on activities.

What do you guys think? Is this just a pipe dream? Am I misunderstanding the game? 

My original idea was to either reactive my World of Warcraft sub or play The Old Republic. But I'm rather sick of that style of game, and more importantly, there's really no activity in those aside from maybe crew skills in ToR that can be done offline etc

Any honest opinions are really appreciated, as I'm debating on what MMO to return to, or if I'm going to return at all.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

If you're working and going to school, I don't advise taking up a gaming hobby like MMO's. Single player for having fun once in a while is the way to go.

During my undergrad years I only had school and spent my free time hanging out with people and playing MMO's the rest of the time. Simple.

During grad school I worked full-time and went to school full-time. Even when I had free time, I was so exhausted that TV was a primary source of entertainment and gaming was much less frequent.

And if you have a gf/wife, you're really going to be crunched for time.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Fire up a trial. Hop into a player-run new player help corp like EVE University, and see for yourself how it works out for you. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

You can always try it for a month or two and see how it goes. you're right that reading while mining is very easy (actually having something else to do while mining is pretty needed).

My experience is that EVE can take as much or as little time as you want it to. Just don't expect to progress fast if you don't put the time in (you won't even really progress fast probably even if you DO put the time in :) )

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

The answer is yes and no and the same time.

The "yes" part is easy: EVE is very tolerant of you not logging in all the time. As you say, your skills will train, and mining takes minimal attention.

The "no" part kinda depends on you. Whilst EVE is pretty good about not making you do stuff, the flip side of that is that it doesn't bring stuff to do to you. You have to go out and look for it. You have to make it happen.

If you're able to find a chilled & relaxed hi-sec corp who understand your RL requirements, you can do just fine. I have a RL friend who got into EVE but then spent 2 years training skills and mining ice because he started studying for his accountants qualification. Support from his corp was the key as well as a few contacts in game (via me) who he could ask questions of.

Now he's passed his exams, his characters have plenty of skillpoints and he's accumulated a decent amount of ISK and ships... and he mostly preys on miners!

Such is EVE.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Eve can be very hands free if you want it to. For example, if you find managing activities like trading, manufacturing, planetary management you will do fine just logging in every now and then. 
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

EvE is a harsh mistress, but i have plentyt of friends who play for no more than 5 hours per week, but during them 5hours they log on and have some good shits 'n giggles and thats it.

It can be played more than most other mmos because of the offline training :)

As other people have said try out a trial (see my signature below for extended trial and 300mill isk if you subscribe from me) that will help you make your own mind up, It is heavy in its ffirst few weeks, but once you got your head around the basics the rest is fairly simple :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

I actually think your plan is a good one.

HiSec mining really doesn't usually require more than a quarter of your attention (at most), so studying/schooling while mining is a realistic goal.  You are correct in that your ability to progress your skills in EVE won't be hindered by not being able to play it like a full time job.  Your ability to generate ISK (EVE money) will be, however.  You won't get rich mining, but you will definitely be able to sustain yourself until you're able to do more productive things (in terms of ISK).

As you skill up and mine, you'll be able to finance and equip some basic fits that will give you the chance to see what you might want to do in the long term.

One of the reasons I enjoy EVE so much is that it is a game that really rewards you for playing it like a junkie, but is still completely viable for stretches of casual play.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    For the OP i don't really recommend any MMO, even Eve which is probably my favourite game ever, simply because it would be too distracting, and if he is serious about studying, then even momentary distractions like mining would disrupt the study cycle and lessen its overall effectiveness, as a previous poster suggested, try either single player games or games that support 'short' sessions, its probably better to play something for half hour or an hour in a break from studying than to try and do both at the same time. image