Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] ArcheAge: Is the Sand Leaving the Box?

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Me: Want, $500? Then bring me a box! If you get this simple task wrong, you wont get paid!

Dev: -------------

Dev brings a pair of socks, a few baseball cards, and a stick.

Dev: Enjoy image

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    I hope Trion employees see this, read this, seriously seriously digest this and consider this feedback. Actually really realize that we are not happy with this direction and address it and make changes. Dont fuck this up
  • dem0neldem0nel Member Posts: 6
    number 1 rules, never look at korean made games

*my old acct banned by mmorpg.com*

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

I bet Trion will save the day!

It's nice to see sandbox get some lovin for a change though.  It's boring reading about LFG tools or fail.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49

The Koreans already said R.I.P. ArcheAge.

I pray someone will make a mod for RU to ENG on the Russian severs...

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by xpiher

none of this would have happened if archage released in korea as a F2P game with more grind in the first place. Sadly, they ran out of money and needed to get more people to buy stuff to stay afloat. The changes since 1.0, from my interaction with people in the Korean gaming community (I currently live in Korea) have actually liked the changes because they like grinding for power or buying it. 

Chances are, if Trion actually releases the game, will likely release a different version of it. XLGames has actually been, from my understanding, very willing to work with other publishers to cater the game to the market they are trying to release in. ArchAge ru seems to be coming along nicely and other changes to the game has been talked about from trion.

But if this was the only title you were looking forward to then I think you haven't been keeping up with the market. The Repopulation is going to be a good sandbox

Its more sandpark...but its in the right direction it should be...

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Cernan

I'm not really sure Trion could make all the necessary changes to the game if they only purchased publishing licenses.  Not sure why this author assumes they can change code and make sweeping alterations that aren't in the Korean version.

In fact, it would be in Trion's best interest to try and drop this game asap.  I can't believe XLGames brought so many horrible changes that no one wanted.  They get what they deserve with people leaving in droves.

.. Because in their latest webcast, Trion (whose ArcheAge team just returned from Korea), said they are being offered insight into patch 1.0 and being asked which areas are of concern to their customers, which areas need changing, etc.

Scott said there would be a press release prepared soon (tm).  While having only seen the demo during their trip, they now have the 1.0 code to dissect.  One thing they did point out in their Q/A was that the rumors of ArcheAge going Themepark "are not true".

At any rate there is no deliverable game yet for the US / EU.  So comparing Trion to how other regions conduct business is meaningless.  Some use pre 1.0 .. some use 1.0 .. some use P2W .. some don't .. etc, etc ..

May as well wait for an official statement.

Got a link to that webcast? Havent been following the game anymore after this was announced....

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by Cernan I'm not really sure Trion could make all the necessary changes to the game if they only purchased publishing licenses.  Not sure why this author assumes they can change code and make sweeping alterations that aren't in the Korean version.   In fact, it would be in Trion's best interest to try and drop this game asap.  I can't believe XLGames brought so many horrible changes that no one wanted.  They get what they deserve with people leaving in droves.
     .. Because in their latest webcast, Trion (whose ArcheAge team just returned from Korea), said they are being offered insight into patch 1.0 and being asked which areas are of concern to their customers, which areas need changing, etc.   Scott said there would be a press release prepared soon (tm).  While having only seen the demo during their trip, they now have the 1.0 code to dissect.  One thing they did point out in their Q/A was that the rumors of ArcheAge going Themepark "are not true".   At any rate there is no deliverable game yet for the US / EU.  So comparing Trion to how other regions conduct business is meaningless.  Some use pre 1.0 .. some use 1.0 .. some use P2W .. some don't .. etc, etc ..   May as well wait for an official statement.
    Exactly - I guess not many folks here watch friday's twitch stream.

Scott flat out said that some of the things posted about 1.0 are simply not true - again I am gonna wait to see what he has to say first.

Right now - all the themepark/sand leaving the sandbox articles are way overblown. WAY.

And yes I do play ArcheAge actively.

Scott HArtsman simply has no idea what he is talking about, when he accused the fans of lying on twitch we all simply laughed at him. Everything being said in this article is 100% true and we are all taking Trion to task for it.

First when Hartsman talked in the twitch he says he doesn't think the game is going in a themepark direction. So adding instances and adding forced dailies that take hours to complete is not a themepark direction. ok there Mr. HArstman....

Also did he seriously say that quests are LESS important now ?

What he is talking about in that twitch is just flat out not true. Daily Quests, which are labelled as quests if you ask me, are mandatory now. Saying quests are less important now is either an uninformed comment, which is pretty bad, or a lie.

This is so bad and shows they are not listening to feedback at all.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by rainmourn

Hmm, might be interested in the game if PVE content is more prominent. I always check to see if open PVP is a "feature" of a game. If it is, that's usually all I need to know to keep walking to the next MMO. Yep, there are those who seek that out and it's fine if some games cater to that crowd. But it's the facet I like least to see offered. Perhaps AA realizes they are missing out on a huge segment of gaming fans. I never understand why there can't simply be servers with different rulesets in most games (as WoW and EQ2 have done.)

AA does that by having two different continents... And different server rule sets split population up. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I lost interest in this game along time ago when i heard that pvp ganking got to such a bad state where you couldn't even leave the island that you were on with out getting ganked by a ship. Maybe now with them adding less pvp stuff and more pve stuff the game may be better for the majority of players that will always be pve players.

Still unless it is a sub based game when its released here i wont be getting it. oh and to the guy who said that SOE being thought of as the way to go well SOE always had great ideas on the games they make its just that they end up changing them later and spoiling them ( probably because of them trying to cater for crybaby)

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Yet another promising game destroyed by it's f2p model.

The future of the mmo industry? I'll surely agree with those who defend it on that point. This is why the present looks the way it is, not just the future.

The f2p model didn't destory the game, the community not liking the original rendition of the game did. Koreans didn't like AA in its more sandboxy form enough when it had sub. When it dropped a sub, not enough money was flowing in because who cares about cosmetics. Koreas like some items that are P2W as long as there is something else out there that's better so XLGames introduced those weapons and now the cash shop is being used more in Korea and more people have since picked it up. The Korean market for ALL GAMES is compeltely different than the western market. Just look how quickly Tera flopped in the west. Guess what, it didn't really flop in Korea

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

As mentioned in the article, the ball is in Trion's court.

Even with the changes, it's still more sandpark than many other AAA fantasy type MMORPG's.  XLGames did seem to go a different direction though, from this games original conception.  Perhaps their suffering will lead to a new patch to undo some aspects of "grinds", especially for non-Asian countries.

The labor point P2W shenanigans are a major blunder though.  This part Trion can step up on and refuse them in their cash-shop.  Surely they can see what others are saying, and they know the dangers of P2W for longevity.

Either way, since there is no playable version in US / EU yet, I'll wait and see where the chips fall.  Changes are likely forthcoming with all the discontent going around, even in Korea.  XLGames has big plans, and I doubt they wanted a small time niche AAA MMO.

Unfortunately for you, that's all people will get, a promise of what could have been. Instead it's just another fail with pay to win options and a sandbox that dumped itself all over the players. Good luck with that shovel cleaning up the mess. 

There Is Always Hope!

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by Kumapon

Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by Cernan I'm not really sure Trion could make all the necessary changes to the game if they only purchased publishing licenses.  Not sure why this author assumes they can change code and make sweeping alterations that aren't in the Korean version.   In fact, it would be in Trion's best interest to try and drop this game asap.  I can't believe XLGames brought so many horrible changes that no one wanted.  They get what they deserve with people leaving in droves.
     .. Because in their latest webcast, Trion (whose ArcheAge team just returned from Korea), said they are being offered insight into patch 1.0 and being asked which areas are of concern to their customers, which areas need changing, etc.   Scott said there would be a press release prepared soon (tm).  While having only seen the demo during their trip, they now have the 1.0 code to dissect.  One thing they did point out in their Q/A was that the rumors of ArcheAge going Themepark "are not true".   At any rate there is no deliverable game yet for the US / EU.  So comparing Trion to how other regions conduct business is meaningless.  Some use pre 1.0 .. some use 1.0 .. some use P2W .. some don't .. etc, etc ..   May as well wait for an official statement.
    Exactly - I guess not many folks here watch friday's twitch stream.

Scott flat out said that some of the things posted about 1.0 are simply not true - again I am gonna wait to see what he has to say first.

Right now - all the themepark/sand leaving the sandbox articles are way overblown. WAY.

And yes I do play ArcheAge actively.

Scott HArtsman simply has no idea what he is talking about, when he accused the fans of lying on twitch we all simply laughed at him. Everything being said in this article is 100% true and we are all taking Trion to task for it.

First when Hartsman talked in the twitch he says he doesn't think the game is going in a themepark direction. So adding instances and adding forced dailies that take hours to complete is not a themepark direction. ok there Mr. HArstman....

Also did he seriously say that quests are LESS important now ?

What he is talking about in that twitch is just flat out not true. Daily Quests, which are labelled as quests if you ask me, are mandatory now. Saying quests are less important now is either an uninformed comment, which is pretty bad, or a lie.

This is so bad and shows they are not listening to feedback at all.

When Scott flat out said that some of the things posted about 1.0 are simply not true -
    he was talking about the xp. On twitch we told him that in 1.0 XL games literately nerfed the xp into the ground. They took away xp from quests, story quests, the works you name it. They did this to force players to use the cash shop to use xp boosts to lvl up.

Hartsman simply didn't believe us.

So the quests are giving XP, do they? Mr. Harstman

http://im.bilderkiste.org/9139241691565/2014-02-14_23_27_15--_ArcheAge_DX11_-_Feb_11_2014_(18_16_27)___.png

http://im.bilderkiste.org/6139241714755/2014-02-14_23_32_06--_ArcheAge_DX11_-_Feb_11_2014_(18_16_27)___.jpg

Exploration: 0 XP, Story quest: 0 XP. And Hartsman´s stating this wouldn´t be true... Ha!

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Bye Bye ArcheAge! :)

The open PvP was already a issue for me, seeing how much pay to win the game has already turned puts the nail in the coffin for me.

It's really saddening how stupid many developers have turned in the meantime.

Games with huge potential on being on the top of their league are getting destroyed through the developers/publishers greed.

Turning games into pay2win or only trying to milk as much money as fast as they can through other features, ignoring issues/bugs and additional content, before they let a game die out so they can focus on another one, seems to become a new trend nowadays.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    A game that has not been out in western market yet press is trying to kill it. that is why i say AAA eastern mmorpg should never come to western market. waste of time and effort. western players are still living in the age of MUD, no point bothering with them. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

There goes another hope... :-(  Why do developers do not see the big problems with mmos and F2P. Yes F2P works for shooters (PS2) and MOBAS, but MMOs are way to complex to succeed with this payment model.

Screw it already!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    "It's led to a substantial drop in players, less emphasis on PvP, some iffy Pay to Win options, and a lot of grinding! Fortunately Trion Worlds will be able to put their own spin on ArcheAge to a certain extent, but there are still issues you'll want to acknowledge."

I am not sure how much of a spin they can give the game, the more they vere from the standard game the more work they are going to give themselves.

The reason AA did not use a roadmap is quite obvious and happens a lot it life. If you know you are going to make changes people will not like you don't tell people thats what you are going to do.

It is clear to me that the company has been looking at what's happening in other MMOs and decided to follow that path. I am concerned the sand in the box may well have leaked out by the time it arrives on these shores.

• KhaliaKhalia Member Posts: 13
    if you are ACTUALLY looking to play ANY asian game, you are imo either ignorant or just plain dumb. EVERY ASIAN game so far has done exactly TWO THINGS. ONE: they create hype around FLUFF, by giving you stupid trailers, soft colors and nice grpahics. TWO: after a few months of them milking your sub money, they all have a threshold, and when that htreshold is reached, plan B RNG cash shop items come in , in order to milk the hardcore players that are still playing bc they are too stupid or too ignorant.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Thought SOE was only acting like that for EQN:L since it's essensially a paid alpha and only anyone who was really into it would be playing it now so the feedback is responded to and sometimes acted upon where the community wants it and if you are unhappy you get a no questions refund. Good to see the improvement in SOE. As for AA, might give it a miss.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Asian games never did very well in the west, AA would have not made any difference.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Gonna try it no matter what the articles say, usaly they are just bluntly wrong just to hype there articles.
  • the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    this right here is why I have said it in the past and I will say it again free to play games cost way more than pay to play games if you have money and want to min-max the most out of your character it will cost you a bloody fortune compared to a pay2play game where everything is just apart of the game and you have to acctualy earn stuff no buy2win or buy2compete just pay2play and the rest is on you.
  • BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by Malvious
    Asian games never did very well in the west, AA would have not made any difference.

I think it's more of a problem that games come to West with years of delays. Which in internet terms is pretty much forever. The guild I'm in went like "weee Archeage, looks nice" when it was announced in Korea...then came betas, launch, etc...and still no game here. Nedless to say most ppl that were once a bit hyped (that I know) are now not a least bit interested (it's similar to: if Samsung made a new super uber phone that works only in Korea...and released it in West after 2-3 years...I kinda doubt it would be a major hit). 

And even when games come to West, they usually come with many promises how it's gonna be tailored for the West...and yeah. I have yet to see a big Asian MMO that is different to West version in any meaningful way that cannot be changed by a few programming commands (like no pvp in cities vs pvp in cities, "no lolis in Tera", or cash shops). 

Plus then you have companies like Gameforge aka Failforge (and plenty of other iffy companies) managing Asian MMOs in the West...some people don't come near games as soon as they see certain publishers. And while it's not a sole reason for "not being very successful", it's only 1 more nail in the coffin. In this case, what Trion is doing is not making them any new fans, if anything, they're losing potential customers with their scant information and slowass "Westernizing". 

And to all that you add a difference between an average Asian and West gamer...and there you have it. 

If games would be primed for Asian and West market from the start (like paralell development...or god forbid, you could even have a choice which version to play irregardless of where you are) we could all jump to the same hypetrain, choo choo. Or hell, even if Asians would just translate their games while they develop it and offer it at the same time to whole world it would be much better for their bottom line imo. 

• tomy111tomy111 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Malanthius
    @Strana Yes of course! I'm playing it. Do you realize Trion has not said they will publish 1.0? It's all speculation at this point. 

true we still dident know what will Trion do  so  dont be panic :D

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Forget this game... it's old before it's even come out.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.