Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you would play a strategy MMO...

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

I like single player strategy games, but I never bothered playing them against other players over a network; it seems like if you ever hear people talking about strategy games, though, you hear them taking about tournaments.  So I'm not sure if pvp strategy gamers are actually a majority compared to pve strategy players, or just get more media attention and spark more discussion.  When people talk about strategy MMOs, the huge design problem is making it so that players who start after the first few days won't be easy prey for players who got there first.  But, a strategy game where players couldn't/didn't wage war against each other wouldn't have this problem.  The question is, would players just ignore a MMO strategy game where you couldn't wage war against other players?  Is that the main thing people play MMO strategy games for?

My alternative concept would be something like, you are the founder of a new insect-like hive.  Your initial avatar unit is a wandering queen (as found in some types of ants).  You find a good spot for a nest and start hatching some workers.  Then you switch to using a worker as your avatar to go out in the MMO world to gather resources for your hive.  Monsters can kill your workers; if they do you can switch to the nearest worker to do a corpse run if you want.  As you gather resources you upgrade your hive to be able to customize your workers and be able to produce new kinds of units, like construction workers, farm workers, ranch workers, and warriors.  So those are the major strategy parts of the game, the exploration and building up your base.  You don't at any part control an army or fight a war.  Would you play it?

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

Hard to know. The concept doesn't sound terrible or anything but a lot more than just a decent concept goes into making a good strategy game and "strategy MMO" is even harder to pull off.

Maybe start of just making it a single player game and if people like it make an MMO out of it?

Also strategy games tend to be about thinking. I know there was a game based on ants but I think it really limits something like this. Make it based on say a camp of people in the wild west or shipwrecked on an island. Same type of gameplay but people can do a lot more than ants (without destroying immersion).

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Sounds like an insect-skinned version of CitiesXL or the recent release of Sim City. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    End of Nations was supposed to be a strategy MMO, not sure if Trion ended up launching it, since i'm not really into strategy games.  May want to look into its fate.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I was actually thinking ant-like aliens, or fantasy anthro ants, not literal ants.  Was trying not to get too long and complicated in the first post.  But yeah it could work as a single-player game.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by sunandshadow
    But yeah it could work as a single-player game.

Could? It already did :)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimAnt

• NydesNydes Member Posts: 6
    I had tons of fun playing 10six back in the day, which was like a MMO strategy in ways, been waiting for a game like it, always like strategy
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

What threw me off of your concept was the switching of avatars. In a usual strategy game, you are a director, not the actual worker. You direct your units where to go and what to do once there. Actually being the ant that is mining ore or gathering food does not really interest me in this setting, though others will have varying opinions. I think I understand why you went there, though :)

Computer AI is enough to beat my butt enough that it would do just fine for me in giving me a challenge. (Though I swear the AI cheats!) I do not play Strategy games against others very often. I recall my son and I playing some Heroes of Might Magic hot-seat a few times, long ago :)

I think it would be an interesting concept to look into, though some have said it has been tried. Now, to go look up the games mentioned :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

What threw me off of your concept was the switching of avatars. In a usual strategy game, you are a director, not the actual worker. You direct your units where to go and what to do once there. Actually being the ant that is mining ore or gathering food does not really interest me in this setting, though others will have varying opinions. I think I understand why you went there, though :)

Computer AI is enough to beat my butt enough that it would do just fine for me in giving me a challenge. (Though I swear the AI cheats!) I do not play Strategy games against others very often. I recall my son and I playing some Heroes of Might Magic hot-seat a few times, long ago :)

I think it would be an interesting concept to look into, though some have said it has been tried. Now, to go look up the games mentioned :)

It's not a worker placement strategy game like most 4X games, it's a time management game, and those often have a single playable avatar.  Ranch Rush and Harvest Moon are examples of excellent strategy/sim games with a playable avatar.  Disgaea is a Tactical RPG, but when you are between combat levels you control an avatar inside your home base that you can upgrade.

My concept would actually be quite different from SimAnt; it would be more similar to the games I just mentioned above, but with ARPG combat.  (I played SimAny years and years ago and found it totally boring to play, even though the concept had been exciting enough to get me to buy the game.)

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    I can see a strategy mmo working with like a 2 week or a 1 week or a 1 month timer on server reset.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by sunandshadow

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    What threw me off of your concept was the switching of avatars. In a usual strategy game, you are a director, not the actual worker. You direct your units where to go and what to do once there. Actually being the ant that is mining ore or gathering food does not really interest me in this setting, though others will have varying opinions. I think I understand why you went there, though :)Computer AI is enough to beat my butt enough that it would do just fine for me in giving me a challenge. (Though I swear the AI cheats!) I do not play Strategy games against others very often. I recall my son and I playing some Heroes of Might Magic hot-seat a few times, long ago :)I think it would be an interesting concept to look into, though some have said it has been tried. Now, to go look up the games mentioned :)
    It's not a worker placement strategy game like most 4X games, it's a time management game, and those often have a single playable avatar.  Ranch Rush and Harvest Moon are examples of excellent strategy/sim games with a playable avatar.  Disgaea is a Tactical RPG, but when you are between combat levels you control an avatar inside your home base that you can upgrade.My concept would actually be quite different from SimAnt; it would be more similar to the games I just mentioned above, but with ARPG combat.  (I played SimAny years and years ago and found it totally boring to play, even though the concept had been exciting enough to get me to buy the game.)
    ahhh... Thanks for the clarification. Sorry about that :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR