Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgraded my PC again today! muhahaha

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Yup, fully aware that I'm crazy and this was certainly not necessary with the games available, but my 680s were losing their value fast.  Decided to sell them before they dropped too low.  They were still more than powerful enough to run everything on max settings with a more than decent FPS, minus a few games when turning on Super-Sampling, etc {Ex. Witcher 2}

This here is what I'm talking about!  A pair of EVGA GTX 780Ti 3GB GPUs:

The Geforce GTX text lights up too, so cool~!

Suppose the cost for these wasn't all bad though, of the $1440 price tag, selling my pair of EVGA GTX 680 FTW 4GB GPUs funded one of these new cards...heh

Comments

• JeriethJerieth Member Posts: 12
    Nice!

www.playnswap.com
    Trade in your old video games for new ones, FREE!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Just imagine:  if you had bought Radeon HD 7970s instead of the GeForce GTX 680s, you might have been able to resell them for MORE than you originally paid.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Grats
    *cough*1%*cough*

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

My PC upgrades are in the mail ^.^  (woot woot) .. Even though I could already run things on Ultra, including shadows, I am still running the x58 chipset (Sabertooth Mobo).  Already upgraded Video (and it's amazing) and I have the ASUS Xonar Essence ST for sound, 850w Corsair Gold Certified PSU, EVO SSDs - So just needed (1150 pin) MB, Chip(unlocked (woot)) + RAM to upgrade.

Wow...  I don't usually toot my own horn.

Very freaking impressive video cards my man.  I dumped nVidia a few years back but that's a chunk of performance.  I gotta ask though, what weak cooler do you have on your CPU there?  Let me rephrase, it *looks* weak.. As it's obviously not a Zalman, but it's of (roughly) the same config of the old Zalmans which were good back in the day.  What do you clock your CPU @ and what temps do you run.  What processor?

Just curiosity eating away at me. :D

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

All you Nvidia nuts will be choking on peanuts when the Mantle games start appearing everywhere.

Ya I wish I had that much to spend on my system.

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404
    Originally posted by Acidon

My PC upgrades are in the mail ^.^  (woot woot) .. Even though I could already run things on Ultra, including shadows, I am still running the x58 chipset (Sabertooth Mobo).  Already upgraded Video (and it's amazing) and I have the ASUS Xonar Essence ST for sound, 850w Corsair Gold Certified PSU, EVO SSDs - So just needed (1150 pin) MB, Chip(unlocked (woot)) + RAM to upgrade.

Wow...  I don't usually toot my own horn.

Very freaking impressive video cards my man.  I dumped nVidia a few years back but that's a chunk of performance.  I gotta ask though, what weak cooler do you have on your CPU there?  Let me rephrase, it *looks* weak.. As it's obviously not a Zalman, but it's of (roughly) the same config of the old Zalmans which were good back in the day.  What do you clock your CPU @ and what temps do you run.  What processor?

Just curiosity eating away at me. :D

I knew I saw that CPU heatsink before, and I found it for you. It looks like this not by thermaltake I'm linking. Gah I really want to upgrade my comp just to try out water cooling now. Link below. 

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001476

on closer look I am wrong, but close...  Now I am curious just because I feel like I failed. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Acidon Very freaking impressive video cards my man.  I dumped nVidia a few years back but that's a chunk of performance.  I gotta ask though, what weak cooler do you have on your CPU there?  Let me rephrase, it *looks* weak.. As it's obviously not a Zalman, but it's of (roughly) the same config of the old Zalmans which were good back in the day.  What do you clock your CPU @ and what temps do you run.  What processor? Just curiosity eating away at me. :D  
    Its the Thermaltake SpinQ VT.  I did consider the Zalman but at the time of my build I had already purchased the RAM with a high profile and the Zalman didn't sit high enough without breaking off several fins on the ram side.

I have an i7 3770k OC to 4.5 GHz, and according to Core Temp, it never breaks about 50c under heavy load.  Its certainly not a weak cooler, not the best either but it does the job its build to do very well.

Originally posted by Quizzical Just imagine:  if you had bought Radeon HD 7970s instead of the GeForce GTX 680s, you might have been able to resell them for MORE than you originally paid.

I'd rather not imagine having GPUs from such a horrible company tainting my PC, you should know by now that I despise AMD with every fiber of my being! heh

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Oh and btw, the next week after I purchased these GPUs, Newegg started a new promotion, giving away a FREE nVidia Shield with the purchase of 2 GTX 780Ti GPUs.  Any brand of course, regular, SC or Ti.

Granted it was an annoying process to get Newegg to honor the bundle ~ kinda, considering I bought them the week before.  In the end it required me to send those GPUs back and buy a new set to get the Shield.  Meh their loss on such stupid promotion policies instead of just sending me a shield, but I got my shield already and it's quite neat.

Can use it as a controller for several dozen PC games, or hook the Shield directly to Monitor/TV to play android games on a big screen!  Not a huge list of games are compatible with it yet, but more than enough to keep me occupied.  However, had I not gotten it free, I probably never would have considered buying one.

I've also heard there are ways to use it with Steam for many controller based indie titles and big picture mode, but I havn't gotten that far with messing with it yet...some day.

Originally posted by Khrymson
     Can use it as a controller for several dozen PC games, or hook the Shield directly to Monitor/TV to play android games on a big screen!  Not a huge list of games are compatible with it yet, but more than enough to keep me occupied.  However, had I not gotten it free, I probably never would have considered buying one.

I have been remotely interested in the Streaming aspect of it - let me know your thoughts once you've had some time to play with it.

I know Steam will supposedly support streaming via Steam/SteamOS as well, so it will be interesting to see the difference between the two.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Baller

I was half tempted to do the same this year but decided to wait until next year seeing as my 680 is still pumping. Either way, nice setup.

Originally posted by grndzro
    All you Nvidia nuts will be choking on peanuts when the Mantle games start appearing everywhere.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that day to come.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I have got a gtx 550 still the rest of my pc is new,not going to upgrade but for ESO on ultra settings you need stronger than gtx 550 I could only play on high setting.

ill upgrade to a gtx 670 for ever quest next-next year,we are suffering here in south-Africa with the corrupt anc government.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by grndzro

Ya I wish I had that much to spend on my system.

Mantle isn't a sure thing, you're still looking at 2018-2020 when it might be at it's peak. Pretty sure nVidia wouldn't stand aside. I'll give you this though, what is exciting about Mantle is if you're building a budget PC (AMD/ATI) and Mantle is finalized with SGPU / Crossfire you'll definitely be getting "more" for your dollar when on a budget.