Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still not sold....At least till we know more about Adventure Zones

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I am warming up to the game but I stand by my assertion that the first 10 levels are some of the dullest in my 14+ years MMO experience and the melee combat is not very good.

However with all the information coming out since the NDA drop I am starting to come around but only one thing will take me over the top:  Adventure Zones and Large Scale Group PvE.  I understand the RvR PvP system is coming along rather well and I may dabble in it some but unlikely.  What I want is that old school feel of public dungeons and impromptu world raids that matters and is challenging.  Some of my fondest memories in MMO's is hearing the Call of the Bells being dropped and the Olthoi's Queen's hive opening up in Asheron's Call.  Or the brightly lit name of the lucky individual to fell the Vile Lady Aerfalle in Tenkarrdun Dungeon on Aerlinthe Island in Asheron's Call.  Many of these exploits were impromptu and spur of the moment yet challenging none the less.  Hopefully ESO's Adventure Zones follow that same theme.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• Soulfire99Soulfire99 Member Posts: 8
    Man I missed AC1 so bad....anyways sorry to derail your thread!

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by azzamasin

the first 10 levels are some of the dullest in my 14+ years MMO experience

This is pure nostalgia.  Do you actually remember the first 10 levels of Asheron's call?  Remember delivering pies?  Goddman pies???  Or in wow, how you killed kobolds standing around in the snow?  Did you play EQ where you fought mobs one at a time in a big blobby green area?  How about Shadowbane where if you didn't know exactly what coordinates to go to already to find the nest of mobs, you wandered in emptiness for hours?  Most games those days didn't even have a main storyline, they were just a random sequence of quests and some world bosses.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I have aswell mixed feelings about the "Adventure Zones" and actually there are not enough informations. Iam not pre-ordering the game even I played the beta and the game seems quiete good, loving the mass pvp and so on but there are major infos still missing about pve.

Game Director Paul Sage has mentioned on a couple occasions, most notably the Tamriel Foundry interview, areas that he termed "adventure zones." What are adventure zones? Well, we are not exactly sure. We do know that they will be smaller zones that incorporate everything you might find in the main leveling zones but will be much more difficult to complete.

What does this means "incorporate everything you might find in the main leveling zones but will be much more difficult to complete"

Does this means it is the same content, a copy of the area,  just with a different difficulty level ?

"Paul Sage also mentioned the idea of raids in these zones, but at the time, he could not comment on the size or makeup of these raids. To top it off, we are fairly certain we will not see adventure zones with the game's PC launch. Maybe ZeniMax will pull a fast one and get one done ahead of schedule, but it's not likely."

Ok this interview is from January 2014, not sure if something changed here. But this doesnt sound that great.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The fact that there is almost NO info available regarding the Adventure Zones is a bit disconcerting at this point. From past experience with MMO's this is probably a "bad sign".

There's always the possibility that ZOS have something awesome up their sleeve and are keeping it close to use as a "Spectacular Reveal" 2 or 3 weeks before launch, but that could be risky on their part due to lack of beta testing.

Personally, the AZ's don't make or break the deal for me in the slightest. I already know that I'll easily get 3-6 months of very entertaining game play before I've reached Veteran Rank 10 on my 2 or 3 main characters. If the AZ's are good, it'll be a nice cherry on top, if they suck I'll be mildly disappointed.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by DMKano

I am warming up to the game but I stand by my assertion that the first 10 levels are some of the dullest in my 14+ years MMO experience and the melee combat is not very good.

However with all the information coming out since the NDA drop I am starting to come around but only one thing will take me over the top:  Adventure Zones and Large Scale Group PvE.  I understand the RvR PvP system is coming along rather well and I may dabble in it some but unlikely.  What I want is that old school feel of public dungeons and impromptu world raids that matters and is challenging.  Some of my fondest memories in MMO's is hearing the Call of the Bells being dropped and the Olthoi's Queen's hive opening up in Asheron's Call.  Or the brightly lit name of the lucky individual to fell the Vile Lady Aerfalle in Tenkarrdun Dungeon on Aerlinthe Island in Asheron's Call.  Many of these exploits were impromptu and spur of the moment yet challenging none the less.  Hopefully ESO's Adventure Zones follow that same theme.

Not to sound like a party pooper - but I don't expect much out of Adventure zones - I think outside of internal testers at Zenimax - none have seen it. This is obviously not the focus of the game - IMO - TESO is AvAvA first, PvE 2nd sort of game.

Large scale group PVE - dark anchors are designed for 2-4 people, wandering open world bosses are designed for 2-4 players, again IMO - the base focus of TESO is mass AvAvA - mass PvE has never been the focus. 

The only PvE that will require several groups is Adventure Zones - which are for all practical purposes Raids, since these will be instanced - again no option for mass PvE.

Also dungeons - designed for a single group (or less).

Bottom line - look at the features - all signs point that TESO is very much an AvAvA game at heart, small PvE content 2nd - mass PvE - pretty much zero.

Man I hope you're wrong, I really really do.  But sadly I think you may not be.  I just don't know if I can ever get invested in PvP again.  I've grown to soft in my old age and prefer other things.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Osmanthus

This is pure nostalgia.  Do you actually remember the first 10 levels of Asheron's call?  Remember delivering pies?  Goddman pies???  Or in wow, how you killed kobolds standing around in the snow?  Did you play EQ where you fought mobs one at a time in a big blobby green area?  How about Shadowbane where if you didn't know exactly what coordinates to go to already to find the nest of mobs, you wandered in emptiness for hours?  Most games those days didn't even have a main storyline, they were just a random sequence of quests and some world bosses.

I remember them like back of my hand.  Simplly because those first 10 levels took all of about 30 mins to get through LOL.  But I know what you meant and no when I started Asheron's Call there were no guides or information about quests so I never knew there was starter quests in Holtburg.  What I did was start killing Drudges and Banderlings while working my way to Glendon Wood.  Because one of my best friends was there and told me about this amazing dungeon with a boss at the end that dropped an amazing Plate Hauberk.  Took me a few deaths to Shreaths (man were they tough at the low levels) before I met him outside that dungeon portal and we spent 30 some odd hours trying to figure out where the keys were, and dying to either the Liches or Golems.  Some scary ass times and I'll never forget them.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    I do like raids, yes. BUT I DONT need them IF 4 man content 50 + / ++ will be as challanging as some say :) This is no wow after all where only hard content is heroic raids ... you know
  • Man_of_LeisureMan_of_Leisure Member Posts: 37

Pies?

Son, I was all over that drudge grotto. I was the scourge of mosswarts.

Your point is well taken though. Most of those games dumped you into the world, because it was new and interesting. Now every game has initial quests to help you along. Unfortunately this means a lot of titles get branded as themeparks when people don't progress past the first few levels where the game opens up.

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Then you wont be sold for a while, adventure zones are a while off, post launch, you should be more interested in the 50+ and 50++ content at this time.

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139

It's a tough one. I've played up to level 15 and it does get better. I've always thought that in most games the money is in the first 10 levels and if it hasn't grabbed you by then it never will. Having said that there are exceptions to the rule, AoC for example, possibly the best first 10 levels of any game ever, the town of Tortage. Then the rest of the game was a mess. Maybe ESO will be the other way around?

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

you are not telling the truth about the most boring content you have played in the last 14years.

what games had better content in the first 10 levels.

I have not played star wars galaxies,playing now WOW and ESO the first 10 levels is better that wows.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

lets just turn this into a first 10 levels in AC thread.

Spawning in SW Shoushi, cause I made my Sho LP, Axe, Melee specced char, and working my way to Hebian-To clearing what I could along the way.  Dieing lots and finally getting out to that highly talked about Mosswart fort at level 6, and dieing dozens of time when it was overrun

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by spizz
    I have aswell mixed feelings about the "Adventure Zones" and actually there are not enough informations. Iam not pre-ordering the game even I played the beta and the game seems quiete good, loving the mass pvp and so on but there are major infos still missing about pve.

Game Director Paul Sage has mentioned on a couple occasions, most notably the Tamriel Foundry interview, areas that he termed "adventure zones." What are adventure zones? Well, we are not exactly sure. We do know that they will be smaller zones that incorporate everything you might find in the main leveling zones but will be much more difficult to complete.

What does this means "incorporate everything you might find in the main leveling zones but will be much more difficult to complete"

Does this means it is the same content, a copy of the area,  just with a different difficulty level ?

"Paul Sage also mentioned the idea of raids in these zones, but at the time, he could not comment on the size or makeup of these raids. To top it off, we are fairly certain we will not see adventure zones with the game's PC launch. Maybe ZeniMax will pull a fast one and get one done ahead of schedule, but it's not likely."

Ok this interview is from January 2014, not sure if something changed here. But this doesnt sound that great.

Can you give a better citation than the link you did for that interview? You are citing an interview from 2010. Is it where he took questions from the community on January 25th, and it's someplace in the comments?

ESO Vodcast 12/13

As recently as December '13, they were confirming that one would be in the game at launch, as shown in the podcast that is linked.

• Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225

Maybe I'm just odd, but I enjoyed the starting zones.  I'm not in a hurry to get to "end game" and I appreciated a slower paced start to allow me to get a feel for the controls and my skills as well as a chance to look around at nooks and crannies.  If you're all about leveling quickly (and I'm not knocking that if that's what makes you happy) then you might be a bit bored at the beginning, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Agreed. Much more interesting starter zone in ESO.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'll take adventure zones and small group end game any day over the systematic scheduled lobby raiding like themeparks usually have.

But over adventure zones I'd rather take a mmorpg where the whole game from start to finish is "an adventure zone" meaning that I would find at any time and place challenging content enough for group play but also solo play throughout the world.

I think I will enjoy this game a lot more compared to the basic raiding mmorpgs. I also love large scale and open world PvP a lot more than any sort of arenas, so I guess TESO is actually a great choise for me when it comes to mmorpgs. Though I'm still keeping my expectations low, it has worked wonders with past mmorpg releases.

Originally posted by handlewithcare

you are not telling the truth about the most boring content you have played in the last 14years.

I have not played star wars galaxies,playing now WOW and ESO the first 10 levels is better that wows.

WoW's, GW2, Neverwinter, City of Heroes, DAoC and Asheron's Call had far superior level 1-10 content.  Sorry if that upsets you but it's the truth.

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

WoW's, GW2, Neverwinter, City of Heroes, DAoC and Asheron's Call had far superior level 1-10 content.  Sorry if that upsets you but it's the truth.

Ummm no they didn't,  not even close, in any way.  WoW 1-10 was trash lets do 30 quests blah blah  

Neverwinter, im leve l15 , still waiting on this "better'  content.  AC , great game ,  very very slow start, Daoc  was decent  but its fro ma different oge in gaming so cant be considered, like AC.

• hg2012hg2012 Member Posts: 69

To me this is starting to smell a bit bad, if this ends up lacking like GW2's PvE endgame (where all people seem to do in between events is farm frostgorge champs) I doubt I will be getting this game.

While I understand this game wont have raids it does need to have challenging instanced content for larger groups, if all we end up with is a farm train in a level 50 area then I don't see a lot of PvE guilds staying for that.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Also what about the first 10 levels of Aion, that was torture, or the first 10 levels of LOTRO with its run all over the place relaying conversations to NPCs and kill x kill y, etc...especially around Combe....or the initial PVE of Warhammer....or Allods Online....or the beginning of Rift...I could go on. There are a lot of first 10 levels which to me were extremely dull.

There Is Always Hope!

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

It's not the truth. It's your opinion. Opinions are subjective no matter how objective you try to be.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by hg2012

To me this is starting to smell a bit bad, if this ends up lacking like GW2's PvE endgame (where all people seem to do in between events is farm frostgorge champs) I doubt I will be getting this game.

While I understand this game wont have raids it does need to have challenging instanced content for larger groups, if all we end up with is a farm train in a level 50 area then I don't see a lot of PvE guilds staying for that.

The article is from january 2014 and it seems the Interview is from 2013 like someone did mention.

[Edit: Paul Sage did mention in passing that adventure zones will be in at launch. Hopefully, that is the final word because that's extremely exciting for PvEers!]

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/17/tamriel-infinium-what-to-do-in-the-elder-scrolls-online-besides/

Yesterday, I did read only parts of the article and it seems the infos are just old after checking more the background and sources of this interview.

But there are still questions remaining and the infos about PvE content is not sufficiant enough for me. I will probably wait and buy the game rather some weeks after release. Thats the best option what I did with most games, so you get all the infos from players first hand.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hg2012hg2012 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by greenreen

I'm not really into the PVE for end game as much as the PVP but I think they are going to have plenty for you guys to do.

Ok, you start off with 32 dungeons - only half instanced, then the 6 veteran rank dungeons.

Going over to the other alliances' quests are going to be more challenging since you are over 50.

Then these adventure zones are the sort of thing they can update regularly, I even heard someone in that constant beta say that's a plan for extended content. The Tamriel people mentioned up to 10 veteran rank levels too so if you are looking for challenge, it should be there.

You've got a dungeon crawler skill line with Undaunted guild for skill ups and you can still do the Mage and Fighter's guild quests garnering 3 more possible skill lines.

In the adventure zones they will probably have the things in other places too, locked chests, skyshards, mundus stones, dark anchors, maybe even treasure maps and crafting materials.

They've already talked about having plans to introduce that Dark Brotherhood and their storyline so that brings in the Theives Guild and new quests I'd imagine.

For PVE I think you guys are set and the adventure zones are just a bonus at least for the first few mos of the game. For both groups there will be tons of testing for skills since there are so many and people will be refining what they like so that becomes its own mini-game. Then take into account enchants and improving found or crafted gear and you add a whole new thing to think about and plan out.

It's PVP that could have trouble keeping players because so much of our area depends on how the players form themselves.

Will people be unbalanced in alliance numbers? Will people work together or splinter off or will they gang up and zerg? Will there be strife between guilds after something goes awry internally? What I'm getting at is that the PVP side has a lot more of the inter-personal things going on that I don't think the PVE will encounter.

Your side also has a LFG system so even if you didn't think you found anyone that you liked in the game, you can probably still PUG it out without having to get tied into the interpersonal sections like people being concerned with spying where they sometimes stick with their own.

First off out of those dungeons only the veteran ones are probably worth running at endgame (due to the fact mobs and the loot they drop don't scale). So when you reach level 50 you got 6 dungeons and adventure zones which from the sound of it just sounds like level 50 daily areas with a couple of champ mobs for larger groups which will no doubt be the target of zerg trains.

To me that is not an acceptable PvE endgame for an MMO of this scale.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

is it more dull than SWTOR's starter zone? it's actually quite similar.

personally, i am in it for the pvp and ES aspect of the game, couldn't care less about raiding or the adventure zone (even though i am sure i will do the content regardless).

but for people that are looking for a raid progression pve game i think you are going to be disappointed.

IMO its not going to be raid progression, so you may want to steer clear if that is important to you.