Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: FFXIV - This Time on PS4

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

History's proven that once an MMO disappoints its audience, it should pack its things and go home. We gamers are a grudge-holding bunch, (Remember the reboot that killed Star Wars Galaxies? Nine years later, people are still grousing about it.) as Square Enix found out last year upon releasing Final Fantasy XIV. The game failed fans in spectacular fashion thanks to inadequate server support, bugs and obtuse mechanics. And although watching a disaster of that magnitude is morbidly fascinating, more satisfying is a good comeback story. Despite public opinion and unsettling financials, Square vowed to redeem its failed MMO and against all logic, has actually done so. In fact, the game's fortunes have so reversed, Square's on the cusp of releasing it on the PS4.

Read more of Neilie Johnson's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - This Time on PS4

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I really am impressed still log on and see all the zones with a good number of people still leveling, in the afternoons there is a small queue  for my server. They did alot of things right, the PvE is really fun and crafting/gathering systems are alot of fun, aside from servers full the game released nearly bug free.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

"The game failed fans in spectacular fashion" ??  Really? It was very under reported then.

Devs can make any claims they want, but if the game failed on the pc and ps3 so spectacularly then why would do well on the ps4?  Are all the people who bought it for the ps3 going to turn around and buy it for ps4?  Maybe there are sooo many people who didn't own a ps3 or a pc and are mmo players, but do own a ps4 that it will sell well?

• straitbx79straitbx79 Member CommonPosts: 3
    the game failed as final fantasy 14 , then remade  and fixed and turned into ff 14 realm reborn and this the one tht made the come back and is goin to ps4 , thts wht the writer is tlking about 
  • SgtPepperUKSgtPepperUK Member UncommonPosts: 30

"as Square Enix found out last year upon releasing Final Fantasy XIV"

I think that's meant to be 2010, not last year which was when the revamped game released.

Think about it, nobody wants to die, there's rules to this game son, I'm justified.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The game is still very populated, my server has tons of players in every single area, I always see active fate groups and people talking everywhere. In the main towns or the high level hangout areas theres hundreds of people just standing around talking. I'm hoping upon PS4 release there will be a lot more players, this game deserves to stay running and highly subbed. 
  • rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

"The game failed fans in spectacular fashion" ??  Really? It was very under reported then.

Devs can make any claims they want, but if the game failed on the pc and ps3 so spectacularly then why would do well on the ps4?  Are all the people who bought it for the ps3 going to turn around and buy it for ps4?  Maybe there are sooo many people who didn't own a ps3 or a pc and are mmo players, but do own a ps4 that it will sell well?

Current PS3 don't need to buy the PS4 copy.  They just need to transfer to the new platform.  But once they do, they cannot play it on the PS3 (why would you want to anyways).  There are plenty of gamers who only play on consoles.  My free company has several PS3/PS4 only players.  Even if they can only get 1/100th of the PS4 player base to try XIV, that'll be deemed a success.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by rykim86

Current PS3 don't need to buy the PS4 copy.  They just need to transfer to the new platform.  But once they do, they cannot play it on the PS3 (why would you want to anyways).  There are plenty of gamers who only play on consoles.  My free company has several PS3/PS4 only players.  Even if they can only get 1/100th of the PS4 player base to try XIV, that'll be deemed a success.

i think FFXIV;ARR will end up being one of the 'good' reasons to buy a PS4, though have to say, that the servers being multiplatform, no distinction between PC and Console players is a very welcome thing and also a sign of how progressive the game is, even if it is just carrying on in the same tradition as FFXI, I don't think anyone will be all that bothered that its not on the XB1 image

On another note, FF XV ... Sooo hoping that will be on PC too, i've no intention of ever buying a PS4, and i really want to play that game!image

• LipstickpaddyLipstickpaddy Member UncommonPosts: 22

XIV: ARR is just a classic mmo.  I wouldn't class it as a RPGMMO.  For one, your actions in the world account for nothing, due to the non phasing in the game.  The story is a very weak sauce in terms of Final Fantasy stories and the end game leaves crafters scratching their head, housing that doesn't affect gameplay and the repetitive grind at the end through far few raids/dungeons.  Oh and did I mention the lack of content to raise your level between 40 to 50.  You'll have to FATE grind, dungeon grind or do daily quest, which most mmo vets are used to at endgame. 

If you itching for a RPGMMO then just wait for Elder Scrolls Online.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Lipstickpaddy

XIV: ARR is just a classic mmo.  I wouldn't class it as a RPGMMO.  For one, your actions in the world account for nothing, due to the non phasing in the game.  The story is a very weak sauce in terms of Final Fantasy stories and the end game leaves crafters scratching their head, housing that doesn't affect gameplay and the repetitive grind at the end through far few raids/dungeons.  Oh and did I mention the lack of content to raise your level between 40 to 50.  You'll have to FATE grind, dungeon grind or do daily quest, which most mmo vets are used to at endgame. 

I am curious as to what you class as an MMO RPG, and why ESO is classed as one, and FFXIV;ARR is not? does that mean you don't view World of Warcraft or Rift etc as 'RPG MMO's' as for the game being a 'classic' does that mean you compare it to games like Everquest and The Realm? I have a feeling though, that you would class SW;TOR as an 'RPG MMO' given that it is heavily storylined from 0 to Max  image

• RebellonRebellon Member Posts: 49

I have to give kudos to Naoki Yoshida for turning this game around. And listening to their fans of the franchise.

I would be curious what  the reaction of  console players would be once they find out that it requires a subscription fee. From what I have been reading seems console players seem to dislike having to shell out a monthly fee. If only devs and publisher can explain to console players why multiplayer online game require a sub I don't think players would scoff at it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I like Square Enix as a developer,not so much as a business.I like Yoshi as a person but not overly enthused by him as a Producer.

I don't really know who is actually making the decisions,i am sure Yoshi is only part of the equation.

Imo and i am playing the game btw,the game still has some issues that SHOULD be addressed.The problem is that the original design still lingers in the game,the combat and class system is still a rushed out product with little depth and lacks the FUN value we got from FFXI combat.

Classes need MORE,more spells and more abilities.There needs to be a more versatile sub class system than simply Square deciding what you can and can't choose.I feel the FFXI design was MUCH better it went the 1/2 level route,it was a perfect match of giving a class versatility and still maintain a class feel.

Now to the point i feel is MOST important and one i simply cannot believe Yoshi does not see being that he has played the game.The game needs that FUN factor in the combat system,you achieve that through various means,FFXI again was better at achieving that goal.

To make combat more fun you need to give players SPIKE damage,give them some fun powerful abilities spells that give them a sense of power and like they have achieved something in their player.It is simple to do,just add some cool spells or abilities and put long timers on them,sort of similar to the FFXI 2hr abilities but  they can do much better.

As is the combat system feels extremely limited and bland,no matter what class you play,your damage is small and doesn't really feel like damage but more like a player swinging a stick at a giant.The system is basically they took FFXI and scaled everything down,the dmg and the HP's both scaled down.

They do this,what i feel is a rather important and not so tough project and they save the future of the game because FUN keeps players coming back.One other  project they need to concern with is the housing,they need to really lighten up and allow it to be more accessible,you do NOT want it run by RMT which i believe is the current state and why we see RMT spamming EVERY single day.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KuuhnKuuhn Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Lipstickpaddy

Do you even RPGMMO?!

This is RPGMMO.com.. Of course it is an RPGMMO. RPGMMO.

RPGMMO.

wut.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

:: face palm ::

• LipstickpaddyLipstickpaddy Member UncommonPosts: 22

Reason I use the term RPGMMO, is that we all know that an MMO is an MMORPG, but only in the sense of levelling or playing a character start to finish in the game.  That is hardly what the RPG means of other genres.

This year we will be seeing new branches of MMOs, for example:

RPG MMO:  The Elder Scrolls Online.... Why?  Read below.

Classic MMO:  Wildstar

Driving MMO:  The Crew

3rd person cover shooter MMO:  The Division

1st person shooter MMO:  Destiny.

So why did I class TESO an RPG MMO?

Firstly when you enter a town all the npcs are actually characters you can walk upto and talk to them.  Not everyone has a full conversation, but some tidbits that they actually tell you, i.e. fully voiced.

Secondly: the phasing.  The decisions I make have an impact in the world.  For example, do I choose to help protect the harbour, or help defend the fort?  I chose to protect the harbour and the fort was destroyed: all the npcs and shops were destroyed permanently.

Thirdly, the story and lore is everywhere, from npcs, quest givers, books, conversations you hear.  This is not a game were you are compelled to skip over conversations, like you may do in a classic mmo.

Lastly, the character progression that is so free form.  Heavy armoured mage?  Point me to a classic MMO that allows that?  You will spend lots of time deciding on your class in this game, and when you get a talent point, it will not be an easy case to decide where its going.  Which I'm sure all the Beta players of ESO can attest to.

• BarnivereBarnivere Member UncommonPosts: 10

He's talking about it's previous incarnation before it was re-made, it wasn't even out on the PS3 back then because they were busy trying to fix the PC version before porting to the PS3.

• vipurrvipurr Member Posts: 13
    I left FFXIV reborn due to the huge grind.  Also the ads for guild housing and later the player housing was very disappointing.  The price was so extremely high for guild housing it was not available.  We got recipes to craft things for it and etc along with a huge sales videos for it too.  That burned a lot up to find a better game.  So be prepared for grinding ..a lot .
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    ugh the game looks so awesome and it makes me want to play it! But then I remember how it's the most gear grind focused game ever. I don't even mind the combat, I actually like it. But I just... I don't know... :(

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

You dont have to buy it again for PS4

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

The first time it was released. Not the 2013 re-release.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    ugh the game looks so awesome and it makes me want to play it! But then I remember how it's the most gear grind focused game ever. I don't even mind the combat, I actually like it. But I just... I don't know... :(

I wouldn't say it has that title by the long shot.  You cannot even begin to compare it to the investment required in almost every old school MMORPG, and it is significantly less than most modern MMORPG's on the market (for people who don't bypass it with cash shops).

To obtain a full set of armor and weapons on one job capable of allowing you to challenge the most difficult content in the game requires less than a month at 50 seriously grouping with at most 7 other people.  There is a variety of content to earn gear with including limited solo daily quests, 4-person dungeons, 24 person autogrouped raids, as well as harder more rewarding 8-person content).

That you can do all of that in such a short amount of time due to the drop rates, currency systems etc., or completely casually and still obtain some of the best gear in the game is really anything but hardcore.  If not for the ability in FFXIV to gear different jobs, and to obtain slightly different similar-level non-essential alternatives it would be extremely shallow. 

That allows people who are into it to continue obtaining gear between patches (if they choose), but to simply "grind" yourself the best gear?  That is not nearly as difficult in FFXIV as in most typical MMORPG's.

• Soldier101Soldier101 Member Posts: 111

Okay if I git it for the ps4 do I still have to pay PlayStation plus and a monthly fee for ffxiv, or do I just pay for the monthly fee for ffxiv?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Soldier101

Okay if I git it for the ps4 do I still have to pay PlayStation plus and a monthly fee for ffxiv, or do I just pay for the monthly fee for ffxiv?

Just the monthly fee for game

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Soldier101

Just the monthly fee for game

Hmm, this makes me think of using my tax return for a PS4 even more.  Between,  FFXIV and classic RPGs on PS store it could be worth it :P.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    The key area where ARR worked is in making the mmo game hell yeah this is fun again. The problem with PS3 is quite simply hardware limitations and PS4 is definitely worth the playthrough and it will be an absolute blast. I played though on PS3, but will go afresh with PS4 as there is a ton of game there, but with much better graphics and performance on offer from the new console.