Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe 2nd impressions video - very positive

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

What's good about this video isn't the fact that AJ flipped his opinion.  You can tell even there at the end where he tried to save face by continuing his point about it needing to be F2P and blah blah blah.  The dude just had a blast in that beautiful, perfectly smooth, didn't hic-cup a single time, awesome PvP Keep Siege War, and he still wants it for free.  That's just down-right plain unreasonable expectations any way you want to look at it.

The good thing about this video is it's actually showing players what's friggin' awesome about this game, instead of cleverly editing footage of boring running and complaining about everything without showing footage of what they're talking about.

Just watching the footage of the other player in the keep watching the other 2 factions go at it was pretty awesome.  You'd have to be one closed minded cynic who would never admit you're wrong under any reasonable circumstance to not say that battle was pretty awesome.  And the fact that it was so smooth and lag free.... Whaaaat?

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Pyatra
    I honestly think we all know the first part is lackluster... all the game elements are there but none of the craziness of dark anchors and skulls in the later PVE section.  Maybe instead of complaining we can offer up some sort of solution(s)?  Maybe a zone event in the starting area that's a little hectic?  Say about mid-zone/island... basically it will break up the monotony and give incentives to keep going are to see what lies beyond?  Doesn't have to be a dark anchor, just something interesting but hectic.

I must be crazy because I continue to disagree with this lol. I do agree that there are differences in the 3 starting areas in scenery, size, quest lines etc., but I think the real problem is that compared to recent MMOs, ESO is a slow leveling experience - something many of us have been asking for. Well folks, this is what slow-leveling feels like.

Another factor is that all of us, myself included, wanted to see that Cyrodiil AVA asap. So there's an extra desire to level fast that is totally incompatible with a deliberately slow leveling game.

And then there's the leveling itself. Unlike the vast majority of MMOs out there, this one is NOT just about leveling, it's about getting skill points and using them to get cool new abilities, morph them, get your ultimate and improve passives. Leveling is just one of the ways to accomplish that.

By the time you're level 15 you will have gotten at least 5 skill points through various quest rewards and there are roughly 21 skyshards to find for an additional 7 skill points. If skill points only came through leveling, this would be like reaching level 27 instead of 15.

It's a different type of MMO and it takes some attitude adjustment but yeah, if your goal is to get to Cyrodiil asap, you will find the first 10 levels slow.

I'm going to have to agree with Joe that the AD seems like it would flow a bit better, but it's more packed together, that's why they probably ramp PVP numbers slower, theu ended up with side quests.  I'm just saying we should try to suggest some sort of improvement (not leveling faster) that may make the other 2 factions grab people a little faster or break it up a bit.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I honestly think we all know the first part is lackluster... all the game elements are there but none of the craziness of dark anchors and skulls in the later PVE section.  Maybe instead of complaining we can offer up some sort of solution(s)?  Maybe a zone event in the starting area that's a little hectic?  Say about mid-zone/island... basically it will break up the monotony and give incentives to keep going are to see what lies beyond?  Doesn't have to be a dark anchor, just something interesting but hectic.

I must be crazy because I continue to disagree with this lol. I do agree that there are differences in the 3 starting areas in scenery, size, quest lines etc., but I think the real problem is that compared to recent MMOs, ESO is a slow leveling experience - something many of us have been asking for. Well folks, this is what slow-leveling feels like.

Another factor is that all of us, myself included, wanted to see that Cyrodiil AVA asap. So there's an extra desire to level fast that is totally incompatible with a deliberately slow leveling game.

And then there's the leveling itself. Unlike the vast majority of MMOs out there, this one is NOT just about leveling, it's about getting skill points and using them to get cool new abilities, morph them, get your ultimate and improve passives. Leveling is just one of the ways to accomplish that.

By the time you're level 15 you will have gotten at least 5 skill points through various quest rewards and there are roughly 21 skyshards to find for an additional 7 skill points. If skill points only came through leveling, this would be like reaching level 27 instead of 15.

It's a different type of MMO and it takes some attitude adjustment but yeah, if your goal is to get to Cyrodiil asap, you will find the first 10 levels slow.

I'm going to have to agree with Joe that the AD feels like it flows a bit better, but it's more packed together, that's why we always ramp PVP numbers slower, we ended up with side quests.  I'm just saying we should try to suggest some sort of improvement (not leveling faster) that may make the other 2 factions grab people a little faster or break it up a bit.

One of my very first feedbacks was that the three starting areas felt uneven - I even speculated that they did the AD area last when they were better at it - I don't disagree with that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

I'm going to have to agree with Joe that the AD feels like it flows a bit better, but it's more packed together, that's why we always ramp PVP numbers slower, we ended up with side quests.  I'm just saying we should try to suggest some sort of improvement (not leveling faster) that may make the other 2 factions grab people a little faster or break it up a bit.

One of my very first feedbacks was that the three starting areas felt uneven - I even speculated that they did the AD area last when they were better at it - I don't disagree with that.

I know, I was fishing for suggestions, that's all.

The AD area (as described) reminds me a little of this.

http://i.imgur.com/wvirj.png

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

I'm going to have to agree with Joe that the AD seems like it would flow a bit better, but it's more packed together, that's why they probably ramp PVP numbers slower, theu ended up with side quests.  I'm just saying we should try to suggest some sort of improvement (not leveling faster) that may make the other 2 factions grab people a little faster or break it up a bit.

I think you guys are forgetting something about the Dominion that both Ebonheart and Covenant simply aren't going to be able to compete with.

1.  Dominion has: the only available option for an attractive cutsie Elf race.  This alone will draw the majority in.

.....  And then it also has Cats....

.... There's no contest, really.

This faction will sort of be the melting pot of all demographics.  As a result they will have the highest opportunity for more productive team-work.

2.  Ebonheart has some cool options, though - Vikings, Emo's, and Dinosaurs.  I suspect this will draw in the youngest crowd, especially since these races are the most closely compared to the most recent TES games.  These will have a lot of numbers, but they will be about as organized as a Chinese market district.  They'll have a good show of force on the battlefield, but they'll probably end up being push-overs, frankly.  Lot's of lone-wolves in this faction I predict.  Lot's of cookie-cutter FOTM stuff going on here, too.

3.  Convenant has some relatively boring options: White people, Black people. and Orcs.  This is about as straight down the road as you can get, and they're all equally played out.  I suspect this zone will be populated by mostly older people who want to revisit the glory days of playing Daggerfall, and Role Players.  I also predicted that since this has the most boring race options, it would probably be populated by the most hardcore fans, who would be the ones most probable for actually buying the Collector's Edition with the ability to play Imperial - which is probably why we will see more Imperials than any of the Covenant's races.  These players will still probably pick this faction, though, for Lore reasons, since the Covenant is trying to maintain Imperial rule within Cyrodil, and because it's Daggerfall.

It's hard to say how Covenant will be strategically speaking.  They could either be extremely organized, though very low in numbers, or they could be very low in numbers and be at odds with one another.  While this will probably be the most adult crowd... it will more than likely be the most immature crowd, with a bunch of superfluous drama over ridiculous crap.

Originally posted by Notimeforbs

I think you guys are forgetting something about the Dominion that both Ebonheart and Covenant simply aren't going to be able to compete with.

1.  Dominion has: the only available option for an attractive cutsie Elf race.  This alone will draw the majority in.

.....  And then it also has Cats....

.... There's no contest, really.

This faction will sort of be the melting pot of all demographics.  As a result they will have the highest opportunity for more productive team-work.

2.  Ebonheart has some cool options, though - Vikings, Emo's, and Dinosaurs.  I suspect this will draw in the youngest crowd, especially since these races are the most closely compared to the most recent TES games.  These will have a lot of numbers, but they will be about as organized as a Chinese market district.  They'll have a good show of force on the battlefield, but they'll probably end up being push-overs, frankly.  Lot's of lone-wolves in this faction I predict.  Lot's of cookie-cutter FOTM stuff going on here, too.

3.  Convenant has some relatively boring options: White people, Black people. and Orcs.  This is about as straight down the road as you can get, and they're all equally played out.  I suspect this zone will be populated by mostly older people who want to revisit the glory days of playing Daggerfall, and Role Players.  I also predicted that since this has the most boring race options, it would probably be populated by the most hardcore fans, who would be the ones most probable for actually buying the Collector's Edition with the ability to play Imperial - which is probably why we will see more Imperials than any of the Covenant's races.  These players will still probably pick this faction, though, for Lore reasons, since the Covenant is trying to maintain Imperial rule within Cyrodil, and because it's Daggerfall.

It's hard to say how Covenant will be strategically speaking.  They could either be extremely organized, though very low in numbers, or they could be very low in numbers and be at odds with one another.  While this will probably be the most adult crowd... it will more than likely be the most immature crowd, with a bunch of superfluous drama over ridiculous crap.

Ok, that was really funny image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    You know, most of the press reviewers are taking the same route, from negative to positif. It's starting to sound fishy, or they're just too stupid to mindlessly bash the game on their first review.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by inemosz
    You know, most of the press reviewers are taking the same route, from negative to positif. It's starting to sound fishy, or they're just too stupid to mindlessly bash the game on their first review.

No, most press outlets were accurate; unlike this post. What's this 'review'? The press didn't 'Review' ESO yet as half of ESO is still under NDA. /Facepalm

The beginning of ESO (which was the non-NDA) is considered awful so that was their first impression.

Once you get going after several hours, apparently it is getting better.

Blame the devs for having such an attrociously bad starting zone.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I must be crazy because I played all 3 and to me that they felt similar. I didn't feel like one was much better than the other just different. For some reason I felt connected to daggerfall the best. Maybe it was just the look, I don't know.  I realized right up front they were starter areas just by how they felt, but I will say I was hopeful after the islands that things would open up more and show more of a sense of danger, so I get it. That is why they should give you an option to skip it. I do think they could also add some initial wow factor similar to what GW2 did right off the bat. Anyway, while playing it I had no idea that the starter areas would be so controversial, but I do remember thinking a little dynamic stuff would help which is what I put in my survey. 

There Is Always Hope!

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by jpnz

No, most press outlets were accurate; unlike this post. What's this 'review'? The press didn't 'Review' ESO yet as half of ESO is still under NDA. /Facepalm

The beginning of ESO (which was the non-NDA) is considered awful so that was their first impression.

I concur. I am gonna have to watch some videos once the game releases and I am able to see more. I can't say anything on my impression so far, but I will say that I agree with what the journalists have been saying. This video did show that there are some really good qualities as well, but due to my experiences I will be passing initially until I learn more about the game and see what they have in store.  

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Yeah, I know those are more like first impressions/previews, but it seems that people on this site are keep generalizing them and calling them reviews. No idea why, tbh. Reviews are the full game experience after the game released in April.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Meh, I'll say like I did in the other thread.  While I may watch a review here or there I put more stock in my own opinion of a game than anyone else.  We could all sit here and probably name a ton of games we felt like reviews were way off about so take everything with a grain of salt and remember the best opinion is one born from personal experience.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

Yeah, I know those are more like first impressions/previews, but it seems that people on this site are keep generalizing them and calling them reviews. No idea why, tbh. Reviews are the full game experience after the game released in April.

AJ did name his videos : Beta  Review and PVP review.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

This has nudged me ever so slightly closer to making ESO a possibility, though I still have a problem with what I actually played in beta and the generic leveling, combat and quest structure are not exactly worth trudging through to me at this point just so I can get to the cool pvp and even if it is possible to get to pvp sooner than later I still want a well designed world and experience, not just pvp, though it does look cool I still can't justify a full purchase price.

Still looks like a game better suited to play later than sooner.

Originally posted by Ineveraskforthis

AJ did name his videos : Beta  Review and PVP review.

Weird, are we watching the same videos?

All I read is "Impressions" on the titles

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I like the pacing of the starter zones, they feel different than the wham bam average MMO's starter zones that push you so fast though them you have no time to even slow down and enjoy the graphics.  Maybe that's just me but I felt they where much more TESish than an average MMO starter zone could ever feel.  They are not perfect and I wish they had more stuff around the zones to discover but the last thing I would want to see is them speed up to typical MMO pacing.

The problem with the press previews or whatever you want to call them is that they where very sloppily done.  Zenimax gave them the ability to play to level 15, they had the option to try PVP and do the first round of low level dungeons if they wanted to take the time to do a comprehensive preview but most of them choose instead to only play a handful of levels and rush to judgement with a article without even taking advantage of the whole scope of the game Zenimax gave them access to.  They also almost to a tee neglected to really spell out the scope of what they where previewing and what they didn't which gave the impression they where talking about the game in it's entirety instead of what is actually less than 10% of it.  Even when you add in allowing them to talk about PVP and low level dungeons on top of level 1-15 we are not talking about half the game, we are not even talking about a quarter of the game.  We are talking about only the tip of what ESO has content, mechanics, and gameplay wise and not one article I read last week even touched on that fact.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Oh god are you saying that AD was the best of the bunch? I don't even want to see the other two in that case.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

Saw that shit coming. Its been echoed in a million threads... Get past 10 and try pvp and get past 15 for pve.

Behold the beginning of the Angry Joe 180.

He's just another gamer who's decided to run a show. Take all his opinions as exactly that, and nothing more.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by evilastro

Oh god are you saying that AD was the best of the bunch? I don't even want to see the other two in that case.

I think he meant because everything was close together and the others are a little more spread out.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Did he even give bad review for the first video?  I think all he said was complaining about the imperial and pricing.
  • WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

Saw that shit coming. Its been echoed in a million threads... Get past 10 and try pvp and get past 15 for pve.

Behold the beginning of the Angry Joe 180.

thats still a big problem, though

they will lose a lot of players , if the first levels dont suck people in

specially in a hyped game, like this

This will help weed out the mmo jumpers, so good, those players ruin mmo's IMO you know the MMO players that cult follow the twitch streamers like Krip, Towlliee, or all those other Wow players that play MMO's for a month then run back to WoW like a battered house wife, those players are a cancer to MMO's, this game needs a cult following like Eve, players that could give a F..k about whats cool or what there streamer god is going, this game needs players that play because they love the game, love the lore and want to immerse themselves into this world.

Slow 1-10 ,good this will keep them people away, the followers, the Youtube groupies, besides those players only play there current mmo because there messiah plays that game or they are told to play and how to feel or think about X game.

Originally posted by evilastro

Don't take my word for it... matter of fact, don't take anyone's word. There should be at least 2 if not 3 beta weekends between now and release...see for yourself what you think.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Man, now I can see why totalbiscuit posted what he did on reddit the other day.

You can never please people and no matter what your "opinion" is people can't simply take it for what it is and have to tear you down no matter what.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Give this game some color and I would have sworn it was GW2.