Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe 2nd impressions video - very positive

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    If there is one persons opinion i dont care for its his....  And that of his selfish so called buddy reporters

Yes. But you extra had to come here to say it.

I wonder why so many ppl feel the urge to bash Angry Joe. Envy?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Now that he agrees with me he's the best reviewer of all time. Isn't that how its supposed to work? lol

There Is Always Hope!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Elikal
    If there is one persons opinion i dont care for its his....  And that of his selfish so called buddy reporters

A thread about him flip flopping seems like a good place to do it. I still can't figure out why people post this guys opinion on anything actually. He's just some guy....

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by DamonVile

A thread about him flip flopping seems like a good place to do it. I still can't figure out why people post this guys opinion on anything actually. He's just some guy....

Apparently it is 'flip flopping' when the beginning is awful and you report it so.

Then you get into the mid level areas and it is good and you report it so.

Lolwut?!

He's also someone who has 1.3+ million subs and gets 300k-600k people to watch his videos.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Funny, because I too felt a) Mage is better and b) Dominion has BY FAR the cooler quests. Very weird, I thought I had imagined that. But it seems other ppl like AJ sees it the same.

I am still cross with PVP for "technical reasons". No minimap, no chat bubbles, no name tags, no commander tags and not free rez from fellow players annoyed me A LOT in PVP. A great very lot.

SIDENOTE: Why is the Dominion so damn strong in every PVP map? o.0

I did join the Daggerfall Convienant Faction and on the last day in this beta and in this specific campagne this faction had the first Emperor, the Dominion got destroyed and the Scroll stolen. ^^

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by gobla
    Originally posted by bcbully
    He made it to level 10... How others claimed to review prior to that, I'll never know.

Fixed that for you.

Joe never claimed to review it. Not even now.

His first video was his 1-10 impressions. This video is his impression of 10-15.

1-10 seems to need a lot of work, it being the tutorial area does not excuse it from not grabbing players.

10-15 the game seems to start to come together and start being serious fun, so it does look like ESO might be bringing solid content to the table.

15+ we don't know much at all about yet, no idea how that'll turn out.

There hasn't been a single review of the game yet. Merely a few impressions and previews.[mod edit]

Think you hit the nail on the head.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Well, it's nice (though not really shocking) to see that a PvP-focused MMO's top feature seems to be PvP.  

I can't stand PvP (in general) myself, but even so, I have to admit this looks pretty cool.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Jafotron
    Originally posted by gobla
    Originally posted by bcbully
    He made it to level 10... How others claimed to review prior to that, I'll never know.

Fixed that for you.

Joe never claimed to review it. Not even now.

His first video was his 1-10 impressions. This video is his impression of 10-15.

1-10 seems to need a lot of work, it being the tutorial area does not excuse it from not grabbing players.

10-15 the game seems to start to come together and start being serious fun, so it does look like ESO might be bringing solid content to the table.

15+ we don't know much at all about yet, no idea how that'll turn out.

There hasn't been a single review of the game yet. Merely a few impressions and previews. [mod edit]

Think you hit the nail on the head.

This has been pointed out many times,in many threads and with many different previews/first looks but is routinely ignored by the defensive fans.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Well he still kinda goes by his main point that it might be still better as free to play if you watched till the end.

Also seeing the video it's pretty clear that the pvp zones will be 90-95% ranged as I suspected.

If there is one things these reviews should have made loud and clear it's that F2P for this game as it's currently designed would be stupid.  Your average F2P gamer doesn't have the motivation or resolve to play a game with the slow ramp up pace of ESO.  If you don't invest anything to try the game than you have nothing invested if you leave after a hour or two of trying it.  If ESO ever went F2P I guarantee you it would be preceded by a "streamlining" of the leveling experience to suit it to the average F2P player who likes their levels fast and flashy at least in the beginning.  

As for the ranged comment I think it's going to depend on what kind of PVP player you are.  Turtling up in a keep is not going to be the best strategy with siege weapons and open world hunters who can break sieges are going to be very valuable.  A good PVP player is going to be the one who can do both ranged and close quarters as the need requires and is not afraid to get unclose and personal with the enemy.  Once those walls break down combat is going to be much more melee friendly as well.  Standing on a wall hurling fire balls down at the other side might look fun but it's not very useful in breaking a siege or keeping your walls from being broken down.

There hasn't been a single review, what are you talking about?

I should have said preview, so sue me.  I still stand behind the assessment that this games early levels doesn't fit F2P player mentality at all and it would be stupid to release this game that way without significant changes that would make the game feel a lot less TES and a lot more crapy MMO.  The impressions from the people who didn't bother to try the game past level 7 or so compared to the impressions of those that played closer to the 15 cap just reinforces that.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    So wait...now AJ is a professional now right?Not an attention seeking click whore like he was last week according to TESO fans.

Nope.  He's still attention seeking.  His opinions are still highly skewed by his 'friends'.

My opinion still stands...as my opinion.

Other than I don't mind paying a subscription which I think should be lowered though to $7.99, what I don't agree with him is that you want your starter zone cramped. I understand folks who want to bypass them immediately, but I don't like cramped zones. I like the running around. It makes it feel more certain games of the past. Whats the rush? Its like relax and enjoy yourself lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Funny thing is I always find AJ to be pretty good ....the fact that he's starting to do a bit of a 180 just proves it more . He's always been a gut reaction fella anyways and that's not a bad thing ,he says how he feels  about something and moves on

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

I don't have anything against the guy on a personal level. I just don't respect him at all. He went all out against MS and the xbone with all the DRM and horrible policys. As soon as MS did away with SOME of it he continued to rail against MS and xbone...then one day he just bought one and now is a xbone user. Sorry but when I come out and publicly take a position I don't just go back on it on a whim. Going by that example you can never trust his opinion to be geninue...he does this for a living...too many ulterior motives. I would never envy someone who purposefully exposes himself to the worst cesspool the internet has to offer...youtube gamers.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Not a fan of this Angry Joe fellow, but everyone is just 'some guy/girl'.  George Washington was just 'some guy'...he just happened to gain recognition. (Not saying AJ is GW...)

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Well he still kinda goes by his main point that it might be still better as free to play if you watched till the end.

Also seeing the video it's pretty clear that the pvp zones will be 90-95% ranged as I suspected.

If there is one things these reviews should have made loud and clear it's that F2P for this game as it's currently designed would be stupid.  Your average F2P gamer doesn't have the motivation or resolve to play a game with the slow ramp up pace of ESO.  If you don't invest anything to try the game than you have nothing invested if you leave after a hour or two of trying it.  If ESO ever went F2P I guarantee you it would be preceded by a "streamlining" of the leveling experience to suit it to the average F2P player who likes their levels fast and flashy at least in the beginning.  

As for the ranged comment I think it's going to depend on what kind of PVP player you are.  Turtling up in a keep is not going to be the best strategy with siege weapons and open world hunters who can break sieges are going to be very valuable.  A good PVP player is going to be the one who can do both ranged and close quarters as the need requires and is not afraid to get unclose and personal with the enemy.  Once those walls break down combat is going to be much more melee friendly as well.  Standing on a wall hurling fire balls down at the other side might look fun but it's not very useful in breaking a siege or keeping your walls from being broken down.

There hasn't been a single review, what are you talking about?

I should have said preview, so sue me.  I still stand behind the assessment that this games early levels doesn't fit F2P player mentality at all and it would be stupid to release this game that way without significant changes that would make the game feel a lot less TES and a lot more crapy MMO.  The impressions from the people who didn't bother to try the game past level 7 or so compared to the impressions of those that played closer to the 15 cap just reinforces that.

Calling it a review when he only tried out the first 7 levels makes him look like mickey mouse.

Calling it a preview/first impression of the first 7 levels makes it seem more realistic...which is what took place....

"So sue me" doesn't forgive you intentially trying to imply that people have "reviewed the game" after tyring only 7 or so levels...

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Joejc7135

I don't have anything against the guy on a personal level. I just don't respect him at all. He went all out against MS and the xbone with all the DRM and horrible policys. As soon as MS did away with SOME of it he continued to rail against MS and xbone...then one day he just bought one and now is a xbone user. Sorry but when I come out and publicly take a position I don't just go back on it on a whim. Going by that example you can never trust his opinion to be geninue...he does this for a living...too many ulterior motives. I would never envy someone who purposefully exposes himself to the worst cesspool the internet has to offer...youtube gamers.

Actually he has been in MS camp for a while and it was the PS that was a first time experience. He was a fan of the 360 and was very unhappy with a lot of the MS policies, as was a lot of people. Once they cut back he decided to purchase the system so he can do his job and review games on that platform. He didn't go back on a whim. I have been listening to him for a while now and this is not news. Feel free to cherry pick though. As for his impression, I am glad he was enjoying it and respect his decision to continue playing and posting his change of heart because a lot of people would not admit they may have been wrong to label something and have a change of heart. PvP is not generally something that will sell a game to me as I enjoy PvE more, but it did look pretty cool in that video.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Funny, because I too felt a) Mage is better and b) Dominion has BY FAR the cooler quests. Very weird, I thought I had imagined that. But it seems other ppl like AJ sees it the same.

I am still cross with PVP for "technical reasons". No minimap, no chat bubbles, no name tags, no commander tags and not free rez from fellow players annoyed me A LOT in PVP. A great very lot.

SIDENOTE: Why is the Dominion so damn strong in every PVP map? o.0

After playing through all 3 factions, I think Daggerfall had the best story and PvE content personally.  Plus I loved Templar more than mages and wielding 2 handed swords.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Azzras

Not a fan of this Angry Joe fellow, but everyone is just 'some guy/girl'.  George Washington was just 'some guy'...he just happened to gain recognition. (Not saying AJ is GW...)

If GW gave me his opinion on something, I'd consider it and discuss it with him ( lol nice example btw :P ) If someone told me GW thought it was a good game...I'd say, so ?

If someone likes his review..fine. The OP just posted the link to it and let people watch or don't and decide for themselves. It's when people start to use his opinion on the game like it has some meaning I start to wonder why it matters any more than just some random person saying they like it or don't ?

If 2 people like sticking sharp things into their eye does that mean you'll like it too ? Should you watch them do it and decide for yourself or just take their word for it because they have 300k+ followers on youtube as well.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

No, quite simple, he has the power of the pen, and he abuses it just to glorify the Angry Joe brand...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Oh man AJ's Ride to Hell review is so good. He can be pretty funny.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

No, quite simple, he has the power of the pen, and he abuses it just to glorify the Angry Joe brand...

Abuses his power!?!  The guy has done what many of us wish we could do and that is get paid to play video games and then tell others what we thought about it. He has enough people who find his opinions credible enough to follow him on youtube. While he is not a game journalist, he is recognized enough to get media invites to events and many of the same privileges that the other media personnel get. The guy has hosted events and even given away prizes back to his fans. We can agree that his antics and presentation can grate on peoples nerves, but I generally agree with him on what he likes and dislikes about games so I have followed him and enjoy his videos. Lets not over exaggerate.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I've got no opinion on Angry Joe, but I will say I did enjoy the video.

Really the first one I've seen with a focus on the castle sieges, and I must say, I like what I saw.

In fact, I think this turned the corner.  I've always said the keep sieges were what would get me to play this title, and I'm curious enough to give it a go now.

Likely to purchase a copy this weekend......  right after I buy a new gaming  laptop to play it on. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I think this turned the corner. 

i see wut you did there.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by Kyleran

I've got no opinion on Angry Joe, but I will say I did enjoy the video.

Really the first one I've seen with a focus on the castle sieges, and I must say, I like what I saw.

In fact, I think this turned the corner.  I've always said the keep sieges were what would get me to play this title, and I'm curious enough to give it a go now.

Likely to purchase a copy this weekend......  right after I buy a new gaming  laptop to play it on. image

Not to bring this off topic but don't buy a gaming laptop. I regret my purchase of a rather expensive one just over 2 years ago, its a Sager/Clevo from a horrible company called Malibal in Nevada with horrendous support, it has dual 580Ms and a desktop processor, but it overheats too much even with a cooler underneath. Not to mention the power brick is huge and I had two attach two via a splitter to help stop if from overheating. Desktop all the way. Like some will say here, build your own, but if you cant, Id look into a Falcon Northwest Tiki or Fragbox :-). They are small enough to move around pretty easily.

There Is Always Hope!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Azzras

If GW gave me his opinion on something, I'd consider it and discuss it with him ( lol nice example btw :P ) If someone told me GW thought it was a good game...I'd say, so ?

If someone likes his review..fine. The OP just posted the link to it and let people watch or don't and decide for themselves. It's when people start to use his opinion on the game like it has some meaning I start to wonder why it matters any more than just some random person saying they like it or don't ?

If 2 people like sticking sharp things into their eye does that mean you'll like it too ? Should you watch them do it and decide for yourself or just take their word for it because they have 300k+ followers on youtube as well.

How about Mikey?   

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee