Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What wildstar beta weekend has taught me so far....

DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

I no longer tolerate text based quests.  Hate the way they are presented right now, just been mashing through them since reading the boxes has been such a chore.

That is all.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Good for you I hope games continue to make enough money to pay actors outrageous fee's which are not passed onto consumers. How much is an Eso box again with a subscription? No can't be interlinked.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

I no longer tolerate text based VO-Less quests. 

That is all.

Though I know a lot of folks don't mind, after playing AOC tortage, SWTOR, and now this, I just can't go back to wall of texts quests because I like the RPG aspect of MMORPG and ignore the immersion of the story which voice does makes me care less about the quests. It worked for 8 years or so, but not anymore. Thats one of the reasons I wont play Final Fantasy despite having awesome graphics. I just feel the PVE questing itself is stale...but then again..in all fairness, I didn't get very far so maybe Ill pick it up as a couch game for my PS4 and save ESO for the PC :=) lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    As long as raids get some epic voiceovers im good. I always thought the voice overs in Swtor and ESO where just a tragic waste of resources. I guess some people care more about crap like that then the actual gameplay though. I guess thats why I don't like ESO, I could care less about the lore and setting...all I care about is gameplay, and from what I saw in the beta the gameplay is incredibly spammy and wonky. I don't have anything against ESO though, I mean even the bads and leet dudes need an mmo to call home right?
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Voice overs for quests are like super high end graphics- nice to have but not at all necessary for an MMO.

I do think that full voice overs will eventually become the norm for MMOs eventually.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Well if Wildstar taught you that (which has a mix of VO and text) then you'll love ESO...no text quests at all. and a less encumbering system than SWTOR.
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Well, when I play I always look for a way to skip the stupid text anyways. You have no choice in what you say, only some predefined lines in games like SW:ToR... lines that barely even make a difference too. So I rather skip the boredom part and skip to the gameplay. Thanks for letting me know, I'll consider downloading their beta now.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Yep, texted based questing is pretty dreadful.  It's a good thing Wildstar has great combat or I wouldn't even give it a second glance.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

If playing SWTOR has taught me anything, it's that i won't tolerate poorly written questss.  I'd rather read a page of well-written text in LoTRO than listen to 10 minutes of crap that passes for quest dialogue in SWTOR.

To me, it's all about quality.  I don't care if it's voiced, written or sent to me via smoke signals - as long as it's good quality.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    I for one couldn't stand the cutey art style and i completely HATE the telegraphing system. I couldn't get past the tutorial.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by arieste

If playing SWTOR has taught me anything, it's that i won't tolerate poorly written questss.  I'd rather read a page of well-written text in LoTRO than listen to 10 minutes of crap that passes for quest dialogue in SWTOR.

To me, it's all about quality.  I don't care if it's voiced, written or sent to me via smoke signals - as long as it's good quality.

SWTOR is fairly hit and miss.

A lot of it is really bad writing that seems like someone wrote in their high school English Literature class. There is some parts of the class quests and a few of the planet quests that are well written.

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159
    Text based questing never made me quit a game before. It's always something to do with the combat, animations, gameplay in general, etc.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

WoW does it best. Just some flavor voice when clicking on npcs and voices for bosses in raids and dungeons.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Zadawn
    I for one couldn't stand the cutey art style and i completely HATE the telegraphing system. I couldn't get past the tutorial.

Doesn't "telegraphing" refer to certain ground based markers for spells?  (e.g.  area has red circle, don't stand in it!)   If so, that's also present in ESO.  Almost all the modern MMOs are using that.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I haven't listed to quest dialogue or read text dialogue for over 10 years.  I click on it to get rid of it all as rapidly as possible, because it's just superfluous waffle.  When you've listened to or read 100 quests in your mmorpg career, you've heard all you ever want to hear.  I wish there was an option to mute/skip them entirely in mmorpgs.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ sounds horrific lol

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

I no longer tolerate text based quests.  Hate the way they are presented right now, just been mashing through them since reading the boxes has been such a chore.

That is all. 

Is reading that difficult for you?

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by Zadawn

Doesn't "telegraphing" refer to certain ground based markers for spells?  (e.g.  area has red circle, don't stand in it!)   If so, that's also present in ESO.  Almost all the modern MMOs are using that.  

Hence why all the modern MMOs suck big time. Now seriously, i dislike that whenever i strike with my sword or whatever skill there's a geometric form at my feet  , and its large too. In ESO i did not project those geometric forms myself  at least even though they were presented by the enemy from time to time.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Fappuccino
    Text based questing never made me quit a game before. It's always something to do with the combat, animations, gameplay in general, etc.

Same.  I grew up on text based games.  VO's are nice, but aren't a deciding factor for me.  As long as I am engaged in the game, as long as it isn't a shallow, glossy experience with cute crap everywhere, then it will gain my interest.  I think WildStar has a decent amount of depth, but I just can't see myself in a Rachet and Clank MMO.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    Good for you I hope games continue to make enough money to pay actors outrageous fee's which are not passed onto consumers. How much is an Eso box again with a subscription? No can't be interlinked.

While i agree with you on this, i think its silly that developers feel the need to have big name actors do voice overs. I can give 5 shits who does the voice overs, as long as the person doing it is not a complete boob.

Lolipops !

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    I haven't listed to quest dialogue or read text dialogue for over 10 years.  I click on it to get rid of it all as rapidly as possible, because it's just superfluous waffle.  When you've listened to or read 100 quests in your mmorpg career, you've heard all you ever want to hear.  I wish there was an option to mute/skip them entirely in mmorpgs.

I know what you mean. Read one book, read them all... Watched one movie, watched them all... Heard one song, heard them all... I think I'll go shoot myself now...

but seriously... In 2014 lack of voice overs sticks out like a sore thumb. And it would be even weirder in an ES game since they are fully VO'd.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

You do know Wildstar is going to be box + sub fee right?

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I like voice-acted quests, but I don't mind text either.  However, what Wildstar beta has taught me is that after ESO and TSW I can no longer stomach endless amounts of generic kill x amount of this or that quests with nothing added to spice them up or make them more interesting.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Unfortunately, the Wildstar beta weekend has taught me absolutely nothing so far, because I don't have a beta key... image
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

You do know Wildstar is going to be box + sub fee right?

And for the same price as a full VO game, nonetheless! I guess the actors' fees weren't so outrageous after all.

Edit: Apologies, I actually looked up the price for Wildstar... Looks like a pretty good deal.

• ImprovVImprovV Member Posts: 14

The same exact cost as Wildstar...

$59.99 + $15 a month

you idiot.

This discussion has been closed.