Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: NCSoft Game Profits Exceed Expectations

2»

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    Revenues are up across the board in every genre on every platform.

GW2's total revenue was actually down last year from 2012. Unlike TOR and Eve which both saw significant growth. TOR actually pulled in 17% more revenue than GW2 from their cash shop, not including subs.

GW2s financials look great on paper when you don't compare it to any other game from the genre, or heaven forbid a different genre.

The game is fine and it's going to be around for a long time. But don't kid yourself, the game has been surpassed by TOR in popularity despite selling more copies and will be surpassed by Eve in the next few years.

Its basically headed the same path as Warhammer online.

This thread is just full of ridiculousness.

A buy to play game makes less revenue in its second year than its release year?  Gee, I cant figure any reason why that would happen...

If it were headed the same direction as WAR it would be dead already, which it isnt.

So many people don't want to admit the truth:  both GW2 and SWTOR are doing quite well.  GW2 is far less concerned with making money off its players than SWTOR so it makes less.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Ender4 The interesting number will be the expansion sales assuming they stop being dumb and actually make one. The fact it is a B2P game without any expansions that is still making a profit over a year after release pretty much spits in the face of all the crooked games charging sub fees now.
    Sub fees aren't crooked. The P2P model is not a bad model. But there has to be a value in a subscription for it to work. The problem games have had was a business model mismatch. WoW has the right business model. SWTOR launched with the wrong business model. Once EA adjusted theirs, SWTOR became much more successful. GW2 was designed from the ground up around it's business model and it works. Not without it's flaws though, I do have some complaints about the game's economy, and it's impact on crafting due to the Gem/Gold market. But that's another thread. GW2 has the best Cash Shop I've seen and is one of the few games I'll actually support using it. It's still not my preference. I still prefer P2P. But P2P would never work for GW2.

The only reasons to charge a sub fee is if you have actual employees in game driving content like MUDs used to have or if you are never going to charge a fee for expansions at any point in the games existance. The bandwidth and server maintenance just isn't high enough to justify a monthly fee anymore and new content is paid for by expansions. It made sense 15 years ago but now it doesn't.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932

2012 and 2013 NCSoft sales:

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Prenho3

2012 and 2013 NCSoft sales:

3 million boxes in 2012, that are a one time purchase.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders