Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars

hatchethandshatchethands Member Posts: 187

Is this a game worth trying? All i have been reading is Guild Wars sucks, Guild Wars is the best game ever? Im just looking for another game that would be a good spare time game. Also, it is free which is a plus.

Please feel free to post you dislikes and likes on here. I would like as much info as i could get.

Thanks

Comments

• chs5138chs5138 Member Posts: 67

I played GW about a month after release but stopped playing because my guild was wrapped up in another game

If you just want a game for your spare time than this game fits that description perfectly. Here are the good/bad  (imo)

The good:

The pvp is fun and very fast paced

Graphics are very good

no monthly fee

max level is 20 so no real level grind

You can hire NPC mercenaries to fight with you during quests if you can't find a party

The Bad:

PvP rewards are little more than a ranking system

The NPC mercenaries don't compete with higher level mobs

Very few classes to chose from and only 1 race

Searching for certain skills can be a pain

all in all if you're just looking for something to do in your spare time this game will make you happy

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

i love guild wars

before guildwars i played lots of FPS - UT , HL2 , DoomIII etc etc

the pve part that some people say its small and easy , for me its huge and hard

pvp requires deep study of skills , 450 to combine.

if you only want to spare some time with this game , you will be a noob forever and might stop playing becose of boredom , if you have a lot of time to give to this game and study skills , you migh have a lot of fun and even be good at it.

i dont have a lot of time , yes , i do consider my selfe a noob in pvp

im playing since 10 of may , im still learning skills , im going slow , as fast as i can with the time i have. at this rate , im sure i wont have all 450 skills even when chaper 2 comes out.

GW FTW image

• bobmonkey5bobmonkey5 Member Posts: 22

No it's not it'll last you a weekend at the most. Frankly just don't buy it. Bye.

-Peace out homies.

• 8hammer88hammer8 Member Posts: 1,812

Get the game have some fun. Another Neoteo may be a little overzealous in his time demands, the heart of the post rings true. This game is a viable option to play inbetween games or to kill a couple hours here and there. Obviously some people spend a supposed 2 hrs playing the game then denounce it for worthless, where others have played it for 860 hrs (such as myself) and enjoy playing each night. You really should let other people make up your mind. If you like the no monthly aspect, welcome to the club, really what do you have to lose. $50 bucks is 3.5 months of a lot of other games fee. That same $50 gets you a game that the dev's stream new patches into that they are increasingly globalizing with Japan and China coming aboard soon. You will never have to pay for this game again.

Again, get the game have some fun and go at your own pace.

"It is easier to be cruel than wise. The road to wisdom is long and difficult... so most people just turn out to be assholes" Feng (Christopher Walken)

• whats is it with you guys
    stop telling this game is a waste
    the way i see this game in your situation is this:

you like this style of games but are looking for a game good enough to fill your spare time
    you just found the best game there could be for you
    since it has no monthly fee which means you buy this game once & not once each month
    this could mean you can play whenever you want not feeling guilty when you don't play it for 3 weeks but did pay X euro's or dollars this month.

yet still even though its a game without a monthly fee
    it still has nice graphics & has lots of MMORPG elements in it.
    you can do both PVE & PVP
    some might say pvE is a little to short & easy which i'm sure they got it wrong cus i still enjoy (already 6 months) the pve
    but if you play this only in spare time you will have game content enough to fill lots of months of playtime with the pve only
    if you intend to play some pvp then i guess you'll need to devote more time to it than just spare time
    since getting in a guild requires you to at least contribute a little of your time to the guild, which is not only showing up when guild battles are taking place but feeding the guild by bonding with the other guild members, maybe help build strategies of testing some skill builds & draw conclusions after guild battles what to do to make it even better next time :)

either way you win
    pvp or pve or both
    you'll have a lot of fun i'm sure of that

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451

The game has its ups and downs, like any other game. Basically this game is a network game where you group with 1-8 players or compete with up to 64 players due to the heavy instances. Is it fun? I think so. The skill system is unique and fairly high paced. But I also liked diablo, which is very close to Guild Wars.

Some good posts here explaining the good and the bad. Read them and see if it is for you. Just remember, it is heavily instanced, so do not expect to enter a game where thousands of players can meet up in any zone of the game.

Good luck.

-W.

• NeptusNeptus Member UncommonPosts: 988

It's pretty good....It's not really super addicting like some mmo's. But, it really does have it moments.

When I did the pvp for the first time, that was freakin' awesome.

It's like one guy said. "It's like cs without the guns." Somewhat........

Neptus - FFXI - Pandemonium
    Neptus - WoW - Detheroc

• hatchethandshatchethands Member Posts: 187

Thanks for your input all. I just wanted to know what other people thought about GW. Im so curious because i think there is a wrapped Guild Wars box under the christmas tree. image

Happy Holidays!

• BleehBleeh Member Posts: 116

What makes GW the best is it's community. They have achieved The Balance. They are mature enough to not act like b.net rejects, yet "immature" enough to just have fun and enjoy themselves. Between WoW, MxO, GW, and CoV, this community has the least amount of drama. That alone would justify $15/month if they charged it. For more info head to GWOnline.net. Good peeps.

Guild Wars is still an MMO.

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301
    im starting to believe , people that say the game lasts 2 hours , or one weekend , didnt get out of pre searing , i dont see anyother way of this being possible ...
  • boogiemasterboogiemaster Member Posts: 2

Guild Wars seems great. Thanks for bringin' up this toppic hobbitofhell, hopefully i'll be able to get this for christmas with my moneyimage

Also i was wondering, would my brother have to buy another game if he wanted to play it with me? The proper game i assume is a yes but what about the expansions for it?

If you and your brother want to play at the same time then yes, you will need to buy another copy of the game.
  • :PackMan::PackMan: Member Posts: 26

Guild Wars is Diablo3
    Guild Wars is one and Only
    Guild wars is best 2005 MMORPG (www.ign.com)
    Guild Wars has balance
    Guild Wars Has sieges.
    Guild wars is Guild Wars...
    But one note, this forum have noobs flamers of other gamers!::::11::

Originally posted by :PackMan:

Guild Wars is Diablo3
    Guild Wars is one and Only
    Guild wars is best 2005 MMORPG (www.ign.com)
    Guild Wars has balance
    Guild Wars Has sieges.
    Guild wars is Guild Wars...
    But one note, this forum have noobs flamers of other gamers!::::11::

I just started playing again , but when did they implement sieges?
  • ps_manps_man Member Posts: 107

I am new to the site! i am going to give you my full viwe on guild wars not just a its a good game or its a bad game!

guild wars is a very good game it has a brilliant pvp mode ! very well designed its free so you dont have to worry about getting your months moneys worth out of it!

i would defonetly recoend you to get this game its is a very good game with a very good tech suport very inventive game and you can tell alot of hardwork has gone in to makeing the master piace! They also give you alot of history behind the game! e.g in the manual they give uyou a 20 page story about where your starting off read this and you will be hooked! my rateing for this game is 9/10 the only let down to this game is max lvl is 20 but it still takes alot of time to get to lvl 20! im only lvl 15 i m not sure iv 20 max is corect! this is only from word of mouth!

• Stickman101Stickman101 Member Posts: 34

How many times has this been posted 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.8.10.11.12.13.14.15.16.17.18.19.20

Will it ever stopimage

• hatchethandshatchethands Member Posts: 187
    Huh, this is like the first topic of this ive seen.
  • ADM_ANADM_AN Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by bobmonkey5

No it's not it'll last you a weekend at the most. Frankly just don't buy it. Bye.
    -Peace out homies.

I'm betting that you have probably never played this game ever or if you had, it was only for a few hours and you didnt take the time to get to know it better to make a good/bad review about it.
  • ADM_ANADM_AN Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by neoteo
    im starting to believe , people that say the game lasts 2 hours , or one weekend , didnt get out of pre searing , i dont see anyother way of this being possible ...

Pre-searing is what you would call the tutorial part of the game.  Its mainly there to introduce you to the basics of the game.  To get out of Pre-searing (which I strongly recommand that you only do once you are a min of lvl 5) just follow the main quests available in Pre-searing and then there will be a quest given by Sir Tydus that will allow you to reach Post-Searing.
  • antho22antho22 Member Posts: 2
    go get the game Guildwars is fun, its not all tha difficult and If your like me and can only manage to play a few hours everyother day then its worth it, but keep in mind that the PvE is okay the real fun is once you start to unlock those elite skills and what not and join a good guild and start entering PvP and GvG...thats what guildwars is about!
  • KazanukariKazanukari Member Posts: 74

im a lvl 11 and it is fun, the only bad thing about this game is trying to get a group if ur not a monk or somthing but other then that there r always quests for u to do and the game is long to keep u occupied