Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried it again but... no. Just no

Comments

• pajulaaksopajulaakso Member Posts: 7

There is really only one thing keeping me out of this game. The broken Gear Manager.

Last time I logged in, it was still crap.

Has this been fixed?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I don't think the combat is that bad

The problem with it I suppose is the animations and the feedback (such as sounds, the impact of the weapons, etcetera) but the actual combat is pretty good in my opinion.

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I loved the quests and story, loved the music and atmosphere, loved the environments but hated the terrible character models and animations but even worse is the combat system which is just terrible

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by pajulaakso

There is really only one thing keeping me out of this game. The broken Gear Manager.

Has this been fixed?

That depends.  When did you log on last.  They have pretty much fixed the Gear Manager now I believe. 

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I am not surprised. Funcom failed on AoC and my bet was that they would the same on Secret World, and it seems they did. Funcom is simply a not very good company when it comes to MMOs.

I wouldn't form an opinion on the OP's post. But it must be personal opinion. I find both AoC and TSW to be very fun games. Both of them make me think about what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. Especially TSW. Combat is never just a face-roll across the number keys like it is in almost every other theme park I've tried in recent years (after spending time to learn said games, mind you. Nothing is easy out of the gate!)

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I agree with the OP, which is why I never bothered to reinstall it after they dropped the sub requirement.

TSW looks great on paper, a story-driven mystery game in a modern fantasy setting with customizable skill sets, I just could never get past the bad animations and mob density. The skill system and quests were ok, but could have been better.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    when you guys say terrible combat, what is terrible about it? blanket statements don't really help
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by djazzy
    when you guys say terrible combat, what is terrible about it? blanket statements don't really help

I think a lot of people just call anything that is not GW2 style spastic jumping around as terrible these days.

For me however I find the combat very stiff and rhythmic and not in a good way.  The way builders and consumers go back and forth just isn't that interesting to me as it seems almost a bit to repetitive 99% of the time.  Don't get me wrong I think TSW is a great game and recently it has been my goto MMO but I find the act of combat to be it's weakest part.  The skill system, great quests and ability to log in and do more than your required dailies everyday does make up for it IMO so I would highly recommend it to anyone who has the patience to see past the combat's shortcomings.

• WespWesp Member Posts: 8

I find it fascinating how everyone in this world has a different opinion on such things as books, music, movies, sports, politics, religion, and games! There really are no boundaries.

Its too bad the game's story appeals to you, but nothing else does. I've felt the same about many, many MMOS from Warhammer to GW2 to Lotro. They always have something I like, but also a lot I fundamentally do not (art style, graphics, responsiveness of controls ect.) which kills it for me.

I started playing TSW again after 1.5 years and I am completely immersed. Everything about the game appeals to me.

* The graphics are very appropriate for the setting, and the mood they're trying to convey. I've never understood why people don't like the animations - I think they're fine. The Zones are simply awesome. 

* The dungeons on nightmare are the best I've come across in any MMO. I've run them every day for the past 2 months since my return and each time I have a blast. The reason I believe is something no other game has been able to accomplish - Even with gear, skill  and a competent team they still manage to challenge you.

"Every other MMO"  - Grind, Get best gear, face roll keyboard, win. 

* The ability wheel, the auxilary weapon system and now the augment system create a complexity that nearly matches a TCG. This design appeals to people who enjoy researching, testing, tweaking, and optimizing builds. Adding glyphs and signets to the mix and its insane the amount of possibilities. I can see how this would turn a lot of people off because they don't have the patience or time for it. There are plenty of games that have very simplistic class design and cookie cutter builds for those people. 

Just some points I like about the game - Its apparent the game isn't for everyone. Hope you find a game that "nails it" in regards to your tastes.

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

it's amaze me more how people judge game that are obviously not their cup of tea with hate and pretending they are "wrong"

i hate really deeply hate first person shooter i hated famous game just because they were in first person before skyrim i couldnt even get close to Elder Scroll series...

but i never ever felt the need to go and say that game fail heavily because is first person. And i know millions of people that hate first person type of game because it make them sick or just feel it super weird

I guess people feel the need to give shit to anything that is not made specifically for their taste. Tollerance FTW

• Kemosabe-TBCKemosabe-TBC Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

It's not the game, it's you.

Considering how poorly the game is doing, I'd say you're wrong.

Considering every person I've met, who has played the game till end game, considers this the one of  best game they've ever played. I'd say *you* are wrong.

Also what do you mean by "poorly"? It doesn't seem to be that poor. Also interesting to note that it's the highest rated game, right now, on this very site, and has been in the top 3 for the past 2 years.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus
    Originally posted by pajulaakso

Has this been fixed?

That depends.  When did you log on last.  They have pretty much fixed the Gear Manager now I believe. 

Gear Manager is about as fixed as is reasonably practical. Upgrading a weapon or talisman will still cause the manager to "forget" it but the only way to fix this is to either completely re-code how the game handles itemization, or to run a search and replace through all saved builds every time you use the assembly window to upgrade / reglyph / signet a piece of gear.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I may have to boot this back up, to see what all has been added, since I kind of burned through content, but I left before all the added content patches.  I loved the stories and feel of the game, and I am not a big zombie, or this genre type person, and I usually hit spacebar playing stuff like this.

I thought the combat was fine, and again, I am not the biggest fan of telegraphing and action combat, but I liked what TSW had to deliver, could of had a little bit more diversity in the builds, but it was nice that you had to adjust your build, depending on where you were and what you were fighting.

TSW is probably my favorite modern mmo at this time, I liked the game, just it suffered from the themepark problem of content ending.  I know a lot has been added though, so it may be time to load it back up and play all the new stuff.

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Kemosabe-TBC

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

Considering every person I've met, who has played the game till end game, considers this the one of  best game they've ever played. I'd say *you* are wrong.

Also what do you mean by "poorly"? It doesn't seem to be that poor. Also interesting to note that it's the highest rated game, right now, on this very site, and has been in the top 3 for the past 2 years.

I find it difficult to believe anyone would actually say "Everyone I have met".  I like the game, that said there is no way anyone makes it to the endgame without flat out being APES**T about it. Especially since it's grindy as can be.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by Another_Fan
    Originally posted by Kemosabe-TBC

I find it difficult to believe anyone would actually say "Everyone I have met".  I like the game, that said there is no way anyone makes it to the endgame without flat out being APES**T about it. Especially since it's grindy as can be.

So....the words "that played TSW" really need to be inserted here for you?  Cause I agree that almost all that I have met that played TSW  loved it to the end.

That being said....I never made it to the end. Was just something that kept from playing passed the months of beta and month or two from release. I tried.....my mom made it I think...I just couldn't.

To go back was even worse.

The game was great in theory....and playing to where I was seemed awesome. After the time off...I saw that it was just too irritating to play as far as the combat goes.

That's just me though

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

I liked how it looked, so I started playing a few months after release. And I must say I enjoyed combat (yes animations too), the decks and considering I'm usually quickly tired of questing this game kept me at it till the end game, where it lost me due dissapointment of what PvP was and the standard themepark dungeon running.

So, I loved the journey but endgame I may as well be playing WoW.

• ShaymonShaymon Member Posts: 7

While this game isn't as addicting to me as say WOW is, I absolutely love it. Besides your character not responding much, I love the quest cinematic dialogs. This is the only game where I actually read/watch everything I can.

I love the questing. I can do one quest for 30 minutes and I never feel like ugh..let me finish this so I can get it done and get exp.

I have a great time messing with the decks. Sure my builds probably are not overpowered but they get me by just fine and I can tailor them to how I like.

I don't mind the combat at all. To me it is just as good as any other MMO. Maybe not better but just as good.

I just play solo or with one friend so I don't do any dungeons so I am sure that might be where the overpowered/underpowered comes in to play. I have done the first 4 dungeons and had a blast way back when I had a few friends playing.

To each his/her own but for me, I have the most fun in this game vs any others.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    got valentine invite to game for 5 day free. never tryed game but when i saw EA logo mark down... hell no!
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    got valentine invite to game for 5 day free. never tryed game but when i saw EA logo mark down... hell no!

OK a quick FYI if you've not been following this game: EA's role in it was limited to marketing & distribution of boxed copies plus some digital download sales through their Origin platform. EA did not, and does not, develop or run the game, & it can be bought directly from Funcom's website without giving EA any money.

It is possible you might dislike the game and choose not to play it, but choosing not to even try it because of who made and distributed the boxes seems . . . well, petty, frankly.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Yep, awesome game. Mind numbingly awful combat that makes it unplayable once the initial glow wears off. It is a shame.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

The EA logo prevented quite a bit of early sales, this guy included.  After it went B2P, I tried it again and liked what I found.  It is a very flawed game, but worth digging into and playing the missions.  Hands down the best quest design and leveling experience of any MMO I've played. 

End game is grindy as heck though, and once you've seen yourself through the story, stopping there is a very viable option.

edited for spelling/grammar (need to stop drinking so early)

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by Elikal

I really was/am the biggest mystery fan there is. So when I heard of TSW originally, I was totally thrilled.

I had played TSW from launch ~2 months, then again half a year or so later as well, and the last 2 days again anew. But... no. The combat is still the same crappy mess. It wasn't reworked or improved at all. The skill selection is still a chaos, you can select 1000s of combinations of which 999 suck. Targetting is a mess. Some power are STILL totally overpowered while other powersets are lame.

Nothing of the quests has changed, I didn't see any new additions neither with my mid level old char nor with my new char.

I still had this chaotic feeling from the start, still mobs every 2 meters, still crappy invisivble rewards instead of stuff you can WEAR and SEE.

Still all 3 factions go to the same terretories, no replay value, no new zones or lands.

Asf asf

Sorry if the critique is a bit simplistic. I am just frustrated. I had hoped Funcom would work on the game. I mean, other companies did, but apparently Funcom just lets the game run as it is. A shame. I can accept games and companies who work with their games, but Funcom apprently just let it all be as it is. I mean, I am sure they added some stuff, but nothing I could find in 2 days aprox. 14 hours play time. I guess that was the last time I gave this a chance. Three times is enough, and if Funcom did nothing by now, they won't at all.

Too bad. I really had hoped this would be worked on after launch.

This sounds like a rant just for the sake of ranting...common practice here.

Next time you should at least play the game.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

the game is doing really well, servers are full of activity, you never have to wait more then a few seconds after searching for a group in chat to get stuff done.

• AbndnAbndn Member Posts: 53
    As someone who is still in Kingsmouth (picked it up in a steam sale, didnt get around to it until now), my main problem with the game is that so far it's pretty much a singleplayer experience. Despite being on one of the (supposedly) most popular servers (Cerberus), I barely see anyone. I played for about 10 hours and I have yet to see a single word written in GENERAL CHAT.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Abndn
    As someone who is still in Kingsmouth (picked it up in a steam sale, didnt get around to it until now), my main problem with the game is that so far it's pretty much a singleplayer experience. Despite being on one of the (supposedly) most popular servers (Cerberus), I barely see anyone. I played for about 10 hours and I have yet to see a single word written in GENERAL CHAT.

Some dimensions are more populated within certain time zones, so population may peak at different times during the day -- some are more heavily European.  Remember though that you can group across dimensions.  There is a cross zone/server channel you can access by typing /chat join sanctuary. 

A couple references for you:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=76927

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20