Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new era for mmo gaming-no grinding in elders scrolls online.

Comments

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

I would KILL to have mob grinding.

I would KILL to see a developer with the sense to reward groups for making FULL groups for xp bonuses.

I would KILL for an mmo to skip the stupid quest line crap and for once build itself to inspire massive community through the above 2 radical changes to the crapfest of what we have now.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Every single video game has a grind, the key is how they disguise it and imo ESO does it very well and in an immerssive way.
  • osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Every single video game has a grind, the key is how they disguise it and imo ESO does it very well and in an immerssive way.

I'm happy you think so, however there's many who don't.

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by osc8r
    Originally posted by MoLoK_
    Originally posted by epoq

Doesn't feel like a grind.

Feels like a running simulator.  Doing errands for NPC's.

While you run... look around! Might get a lot of useful things done if you pay attention ;)

Rush through ESO = fail player/noob/ADHD

If you just run without paying attention or doing anything while running you will have a bad time in ANY game.

Yeah, i may stumble across even more quests that require... more walking! Ok, i may be exaggerating a little, there were some half interesting quests here and there but boy oh boy they few and far between (at least in the starting area's i played).

Or you know, rush through PVE = PVP player? Or maybe someone who has no interest in reading poorly written dialogue that has little impact on me and even less on the game world. Yes, i paid attention to the main quests, but after a while i found the side quests were generally just retakes on your generic/cliche crap we've all seen and done hundreds of time before.

And i've made it through plenty of MMO's without having to do 360's every few seconds to keep myself entertained (hell, i even made it through neverwinter and that was as generic as they come!), but hey, thanks for your concern!

But as it's been pointed out, things may pick up at later levels... and there's always PVP.

And by played i mean... witnessed in youtube video's. On full screen in HQ it really felt like i was actually playing the beta myself!!!

Just wondering did you through all your rushing around find any treasure maps? I found two while I was taking it easy and not rushing around I was able to actually go on two different treasure hunts using a picture drawn map which I had to located the speciific area.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by jazz.be
    From what I've seen, there aren't even that many wandering mobs.

that is good IMO. I remember playing Rift where there are a bagillion mobs surrounding your every steps. That was horrible and i personally dont want to see that again. Too many irrelevant mobs in the way are just fillers and make the game look cheaper like they are forcing you to go through waves of crappy mobs 24/7 in order to level up.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    The real grind start at max level.  I suppose.
  • Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by brett7018
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64

So instead of "kill X of these" we now have "find and talk to X people".

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

If ESO is the future of MMO's, i'll pass. 

So what is your solution. It is a game after all. If grinding mobs is bad, and grinding quests is bad, then what is good? According to people here...NOTHING!!

Agreed, some of these people crack me up.  WTH do you want to do then?  I guess to them, it needs to be so 'sandbox' that you get lost and have nothing to do because you can't quest or kill mobs because that is 'nothing new'.  It always the same whining about how there is no new innovation.  I think these games offer just enough differences to be a change, but I ENJOY the questing and mobs to kill.

You think because all these games do a poor job at bringing new and interesting mechanics to the genre that its an acceptable standard, or that it must be something wrong with the people complaining.  In reality its a combination both, not just a black and white issue.

I hope those people find their perma-death, run for miles with nothing to do, no direction in a game so they will stop ranting on ones most others like.

Again with the exaggeration and black and white judgements.  It doesn't have to be perma-death, how about a meaningful and somewhat consequential death instead of one where the game just pats you on the back and says try again, or takes a miniscule amount of gold away.

Part of the problem is that the most vocal on forums are usually the ones who like these pointless games to be as much like work as possible.  The reason:  They don't have a REAL job or a REAL life...

Black and white statements again.  So you're telling me people either have a real job/real life and only enjoy playing Hungry, Hungry Hippos, or  they have no real life/job and enjoy chess?

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The irony is, a lot MMO gamers actually enjoy a grind, at least now and then. Do we really always, all the time want to listen to complex stories?

I certainly don't. Not always. So when you HAVE no other way to level besides heavy story-driven quests... it isn't such a good thing as you may think.

Grind isn't bad. It's just... misunderstood. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

Unless you don't like doing quests, especially when all the quests are the same "go talk to person x and kill person B"

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by arieste

grinding quests is still grinding people would say.  

but honestly the idea of "grinding mobs" has been largely gone from MMOs for about 10 years now.  Ever since EQ2 and WoW launched, the "go to the next quest hub and do the quests to level" has been the primary levelling method in pretty much every major release:   LoTRO, Vanguard, AoC,  SWTOR, AoC, etc, etc.  All games where you levelled primarily by just doing quest after quest instead of killing a thousand hecklers. 

I felt like ESO has did the best job of making grinding quests not feel like grinding quests, if that makes sense.  They're put together in a way that makes them very easy to consume.  Having said that, my friend who fast clicks through quests and doesn't care about storyline wasn't enjoying himself for obvious reasons.  Can't say I really have much pity though, that's no way to play a TES game.

Originally posted by Comaf

I would KILL to see a developer with the sense to reward groups for making FULL groups for xp bonuses.

I would KILL for an mmo to skip the stupid quest line crap and for once build itself to inspire massive community through the above 2 radical changes to the crapfest of what we have now.

Last time i checked FFXIV rewarded grouping and chain killing mobs.  Dunno if that's changed since August.  Regardless, I'm glad that's not in this game.  I'm happy to have left that nonsense behind a decade ago.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    im with you there OP. in the first 15 lvls NEVER felt any grind. but tbh - the grind comes later in most games, we dont know yet how many X we need for the (rather old school) quests there will be.
  • MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by MoLoK_
    Originally posted by epoq

Doesn't feel like a grind.

Feels like a running simulator.  Doing errands for NPC's.

While you run... look around! Might get a lot of useful things done if you pay attention ;)

Rush through ESO = fail player/noob/ADHD

If you just run without paying attention or doing anything while running you will have a bad time in ANY game.

Yeah, i may stumble across even more quests that require... more walking! Ok, i may be exaggerating a little, there were some half interesting quests here and there but boy oh boy they few and far between (at least in the starting area's i played).

Or you know, rush through PVE = PVP player? Or maybe someone who has no interest in reading poorly written dialogue that has little impact on me and even less on the game world. Yes, i paid attention to the main quests, but after a while i found the side quests were generally just retakes on your generic/cliche crap we've all seen and done hundreds of time before.

And i've made it through plenty of MMO's without having to do 360's every few seconds to keep myself entertained (hell, i even made it through neverwinter and that was as generic as they come!), but hey, thanks for your concern!

But as it's been pointed out, things may pick up at later levels... and there's always PVP.

And by played i mean... witnessed in youtube video's. On full screen in HQ it really felt like i was actually playing the beta myself!!!

You said it... starting areas... first off - they are not that big and you still complain? How the hell do you play? What do you expect? 150 mobs in a small confined area so you can AOE them down? Max 10 seconds between questgiver and target?

Oh boy will you come here and whine once you hit Cyrodil. Theres a lot of running/riding there you know... I suggest you just stop playing games. 

ESO is a fantastic game from what i've seen  and experienced so far. Yeah I've played it. On several occations. This is not NDA-breaking.

It seems we have a new breed of players who are just not ready for a polished and good mmo. They dont play to have fun - they play in order to whine. Must be something else in their lives that are missing and its just about projection.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Just wait till you started crafting legendary item and failed 100 times.  Or do the same dungeon 100 times for max stats gear.
  • PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by Comaf

Last time i checked FFXIV rewarded grouping and chain killing mobs.  Dunno if that's changed since August.  Regardless, I'm glad that's not in this game.  I'm happy to have left that nonsense behind a decade ago.

Yeah.... gonna have to agree... because ESO does the group XP bonus based on group size...... so they want grinding mobs, with XP bonus for groups, and skip the quest line "crap".   They should head over to PWI's web site and pick one of those games, see now they can just leave because I have shown them were to find the game they want.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

You couldn't be more wrong, just because there is no quest grinding there is huge amounts of skill grinding.  I am not complaining but there is grinding in the sense and it will be a lot....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy

You couldn't be more wrong, just because there is no quest grinding there is huge amounts of skill grinding.  I am not complaining but there is grinding in the sense and it will be a lot....

By all means... please elaborate.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by laokoko
    Just wait till you started crafting legendary item and failed 100 times.  Or do the same dungeon 100 times for max stats gear.

According to Zenimax, max stat gear is obtained via crafting. Not dungeons. Can't say more about the legendaries without breaking NDA.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

ESO is a quest grinder like so many others before it.

Nothing new here.

Except that the quests are the strongest part in this game. The quests have a good depth to it. The story IS strong.

Again,  besides that - they need to address the lack of skills and animation quality and this will be a good title. Trust me (Playing MMORPGs since 2001) and get out of the god-darn starting area. The starting area was aswell what gave me a wrong first expression. It is horrific compared to the depth that awaits you on the 2nd and from the 3rd isle onwards.

Do yourself the favor and play it to this part and then come back and write about it. It IS worth it.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

there is no grinding in ESO?!

ROFLMAO

that is all i ahve to say.

not that i mind its a MMO grinding will always be there its jsut a amtter of how well hidden

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54

How is it any different from lotro?

Besides, EVE got rid of level/skill grind ten years ago. There's still money/faction grind, but both are optional.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Grind is subjective, to me ESO will be more grindy than current themeparks. 

most the quests do work like skyrim, but ESO will need 300 times more quests than skyrim. MMO content means quantity > quality. They show us the good quests, but the majority will absolutely suck.

There are also still kill X monsters, collect X drop quests - they are just alot less frequent.

It takes days just to get to lvl 10, hours and hours mostly just going from one quest marker to the next.

My blog: image

Originally posted by Consensus

Grind is subjective, to me ESO will be more grindy than current themeparks. 

most the quests do work like skyrim, but ESO will need 300 times more quests than skyrim. MMO content means quantity > quality. They show us the good quests, but the majority will absolutely suck.

There are also still kill X monsters, collect X drop quests - they are just alot less frequent.

It takes days just to get to lvl 10, hours and hours mostly just going from one quest marker to the next.

Actually the majority is really good.... gah... I wanna give you like 20 examples but I can't.  While mechanics that have been spoken about by the press get a pass, I doubt quests and plot lines will be receiving the mods ignoring it.

Originally posted by aesperus

According to Zenimax, max stat gear is obtained via crafting. Not dungeons. Can't say more about the legendaries without breaking NDA.

Assuming this is correct, which I don't think it is... the last company line I heard was that crafting and drops were on par at end game.

But... assuming this is correct, where do you think you get the fodder needed to disassembled to craft higher quality items?  Dungeons...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by aesperus

Assuming this is correct, which I don't think it is... the last company line I heard was that crafting and drops were on par at end game.

But... assuming this is correct, where do you think you get the fodder needed to disassembled to craft higher quality items?  Dungeons...

...and Adventure Zones, and world bosses, and 50+ areas and 50++ areas and Cyrodiil... this they have said many times in many interviews for months. Drop quality will be the same in all of those areas to avoid the need to repeat crap you don't feel like doing just to gear up.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED