Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG TV, All games all the time

TV watchers are at a all time since the 70's.  People 18-30 generally aren't watching TV. This is also the largest demographic that plays on-line games.

I never watched TV, but I've been a nerd for a long time. (I remember when MTV only played music videos)

My question is how much have MMO's effected your TV viewing? Do you think MMO's could over-take TV as the general home pastime? If so how long until you expect to see advertising commonly inside MMO's?

Will more loot enter games like "Intel's hammer" or will dragons start to say things like: "I'll kill you mortals, unless you drink coke. It's the real thing."

-=-=-=-=-
"Playing EQ to the highend is like getting hit in the head over and over. When the hitting stops you start to miss the dizzy feeling. The lack of this "dizzy feeling" will ruin you to other MMORPG's"

A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

-=-=-=-=-
Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

Comments

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

I doubt a dragon would say something like that, but if it got down to that, I believe companys like Coca-Cola would start selling free months membership to a game or if you buy so many packs of coke you have a higher chance of winning a MMORPG.  Inside a game like SWG, I could see an add say something like, try the futuristic Coca-Cola! or Mythica, try some old time Root Beer, how mug was 300 years ago! or something of the sorts.

But yeah, it's a deffinate possibility

- MMORPG.COM STAFF -

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     I wish coke came in the swg box, then what i bought wouldn't have been a complete waste.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    lol

-=-=-=-=-
    "Playing EQ to the highend is like getting hit in the head over and over. When the hitting stops you start to miss the dizzy feeling. The lack of this "dizzy feeling" will ruin you to other MMORPG's"

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Wait that had nothing to do with what you were asking lol. MMORPG's hasn't really affected watching T.V. that much. Although i do play MMORPG's quite a bit, i still have time to watch my favourite shows like seinfield. I do wish there was an MMORPG station or just a game station that had 'em 24 hours a day.

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

My theory is people 18-30 aren't watching as much TV becuase they are playing games or surfing the web instead. Although allot of people I know watch TV and play EQ ... (allot of commentary here about the ebils of EQ)

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

EQ pretty much ended TV for me.  Nothing on TV was as entertaining or had the interaction you have in EQ.  Now that I have quit playing EQ much it just seems like there isnt anything worth watching on TV anymore.

Well, I do watch some Anime now that my boyfriend got me hooked.  I prefer that to most American shows now.

Most of EQers do watch t.v. . My friend who played hooked up his t.v. into his computer room and watched while he played lol.

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

i usually watch tv right before i start my gaming, then right after to watch some prime time/late night stuff. i suppose if i actually played an mmo at the moment that might be different, but day of defeat is pretty addictive too.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• elbarto69elbarto69 Member Posts: 73

I don't know if MMO's are that widespread yet. Yes some have hundreds of thousands of subscribers, yes they are worldwide, but from what it sounds like on here a lot of the players play multiple games. Out of everyone I have ever met since I first heard of these games back in 2001 (I know they've been around much longer), only 2 other people besides me I know play MMO's. I live in a fairly well-off suburb of Chicago, and everyone I know plays video games, so it's not any kind of money issue. Even know in college I haven't met one person that plays an MMO. I just don't think MMO's have that much of an impact on society's actions (like TV viewing) right now, especially with how limited the themes are.
    And yet, we have already seen much advertising within these games. In The Sims Online, you could buy Intel computers, and they would make the Intel jingle whenever you would turn it on. They also added McDonald's food kiosks to sell food and treats (the people who served you were even callled "Friendly McDonald's cashier" or something like that, and had big stupid grins from ear to ear all the time). But the monthly price stayed the same, even with these companies forking over millions to Maxis to use their brands in the game. If you look closely, you'll be able to find about 10 posts of mine throughout this site where I bash TSO lol
    I think this begs a certain question...

-----------------------------------
    Homer: "I'm feelin' low, Apu. You got any of that beer that has candy floating in it, you know, Skittlebrau?"

Apu: "Such a product does not exist, sir! You must have dreamed it."

Homer: "Oh. Well then just gimme a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles."

3GZ673CF
  • ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

I realyl watch very few TV since i am into MMORPGS.

There's just not enough time to do both.