Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new era for mmo gaming-no grinding in elders scrolls online.

Comments

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by osc8r

So instead of "kill X of these" we now have "find and talk to X people".

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

If ESO is the future of MMO's, i'll pass. 

So what is your solution. It is a game after all. If grinding mobs is bad, and grinding quests is bad, then what is good? According to people here...NOTHING!!

Agreed, some of these people crack me up.  WTH do you want to do then?  I guess to them, it needs to be so 'sandbox' that you get lost and have nothing to do because you can't quest or kill mobs because that is 'nothing new'.  It always the same whining about how there is no new innovation.  I think these games offer just enough differences to be a change, but I ENJOY the questing and mobs to kill.

I hope those people find their perma-death, run for miles with nothing to do, no direction in a game so they will stop ranting on ones most others like.

Part of the problem is that the most vocal on forums are usually the ones who like these pointless games to be as much like work as possible.  The reason:  They don't have a REAL job or a REAL life...

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I think the OP is wrong.  I think people are going to be grinding a lot in this game. 

They just wont be doing it like a traditional quest hub grinder though.  However that doesn't mean you won't be grinding quests or AvA for skill points. 

You'll be grinding. 

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by handlewithcare

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

grinding quests is still grinding people would say.  

but honestly the idea of "grinding mobs" has been largely gone from MMOs for about 10 years now.  Ever since EQ2 and WoW launched, the "go to the next quest hub and do the quests to level" has been the primary levelling method in pretty much every major release:   LoTRO, Vanguard, AoC,  SWTOR, AoC, etc, etc.  All games where you levelled primarily by just doing quest after quest instead of killing a thousand hecklers. 

Quest grinding is even more boring than the old school grind.

SWG had the best grind system. Running missions and killing lairs of critters. Far less boring than the run-around- the- entire-map- questing grind that every MMO has today.

At least give players the option to grind old school instead of forcing them into questing.

So now doing quests is grinding.

See? This is how it goes in the MMO community. "Grinding" used to mean purposefully going to an area and killg stuff for gold or mats. Now, anything you do more than once is grinding. Even of most of the quests are different and havee a story behind them....if you read that is.

If people that reply with "Wall 'O Text"...that means they don't care enough in the first place.

Jeebus people...are you telling me your ideal MMO is just some big world with no quests or mobs and where all you do is PvP? Have fun with that.

That would be fine tbh. SWG was close to that if you wanted it to be.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I think the OP is wrong.  I think people are going to be grinding a lot in this game. 

They just wont be doing it like a traditional quest hub grinder though.  However that doesn't mean you won't be grinding quests or AvA for skill points. 

You'll be grinding. 

It is a hub grinder with other quests in areas around but you still have hubs to start from.

This game is a huge grind. Grind to find materials, grind the quests, grind to craft. This game is all grind.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Any content will feel like grinding if people would skip it if they could.

In ESO you could have people who just want to get to max lvl as fast as possible for PVP reasons. They might see the whole questing thing as one boring grind. Just an obvious example to show how subjective the topic of grind is.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

You'll be grinding. 

"Grinding" is when I'm doing something I don't enjoy or find engaging.

Given that I even enjoy running around for hours just to exclusively mine metal nodes, I doubt that I'll ever find any "grinding" in ESO, lol...

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    When did "grind" become a bad word? Was it when player expectations moved to endless free unique content entitlement?
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by spizz

Sorry, but running around the map and clicking on marked people/items is just as bad, if not worse than the generic kill quests.

So do you prefer "kill X of these"  or what do you prefer in the gamea you are playing currently or in the past ?

I prefer "go on an epic quest that takes 3 months to complete with solo, group and raiding parts".

The rest of my time should be spend on doing dungeons, wandering around, killing stuff. I hate quests that are done in a month or less. Those are simply meaningless and i hate meaningless quests.

Give me only a handfull of quests, but make those matter. Let me crawl dungeons meanwhile. NON INSTANCED dungeons.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

So do you prefer "kill X of these"  or what do you prefer in the gamea you are playing currently or in the past ?

a blend of both, but 100% optional, like Wushu or EVE.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Originally posted by botrytis

You'll be grinding. 

It is a hub grinder with other quests in areas around but you still have hubs to start from.

This game is a huge grind. Grind to find materials, grind the quests, grind to craft. This game is all grind.

I think what makes this worse is the fact that the entire world is closed off until you meet the grinding requirements. You are trapped in an area until you grind your way out. If you get tired of being in the desert for example you cant leave until you grind that area out. The complete opposite of what the Elder Scrolls series is all about. And you cant even visit certain areas because they belong to other factions. Sure you can once you max your toon but at that point all the challenge is gone.

The game doesn't have to be sandbox style like the single player version. But when everyone around you is doing the exact same thing you are doing it gets old fast.

This would have sold the game for me:

"looking for a group to travel to skyrim and explore"

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by epoq
    Originally posted by xeniar

there is no grinding in the game what I have seen,its small little quests like skyrim.

this makes the game fun,i hope the days of kill 10 rats and bring 3 pretsils are gone forever.

you thougt the kill 10 rats quest was grinding?

my god you have never been in a grind game have you.

LOL - Seriously.

Try Everquest.  Kill 100 rats, with no quest telling you to do so or reward for completion.

There was a reward for killing rats just as there were for killing skeletons. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I kinda like how the world feels more realistic. There weren't mobs strewn about waiting to be slaughtered. Running into them tended to feel more like a surprise.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

Saying there is no grinding in ESO is a joke. There is just as much ginding in ESO as WoW, Tera, or SWTOR or any other mainstream MMORPG.  It may be differently done, as many have stated...alot more running around and alot more talking to NPCs. But it is still a  grind.  

Grind is part of the genre, why would the OP even make such a silly claim is either a complete Fanboy or has not played the game.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

All quest based games are grind games, and quest based games with end game pvp that offers rewards and buffs while having each alliance aim for setting up an emperor is a grind based game from beginning to end.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

My opinion is that TESO looks like it will have more "grind" than any mmo that has launched for some years.

Not just the mob killing which very much does exist, but the collecting, the interaction with npcs, the running, the crafting ....

Some people will be fine with it; indeed I feel that several games have been "to fast" ... but I usually seem to be in a minority, unable to understand why people a) struggle to level or need instant max level or double xp type stuff. Which makes me suspect that "lots" of people will find TESO way to slow.  

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

So do you prefer "kill X of these"  or what do you prefer currently in the game you are playing ?

I prefered Asheron's call to be honest... walk out into the wild, and if you played smart (and were willing to take the risk) you could actually take down MUCH higher level monsters and get rewarded with a tonne of XP. Nowadays that's not even possible, as you wouldn't even be able to hit said monster as there's this little linear path every hero must take.

But yes, i'd take 'kill quests' over never ending 'talk to' quests. At least in kill quests it actually feels like i'm doing something instead of being a glorified delivery boy.

Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, click, read text, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk

Walk, walk, walk, walk, walk, click, read text, walk, walk, walk, walk, walk

/yawn.

No grind you say?

Doesn't feel like a grind.

Feels like a running simulator.  Doing errands for NPC's.

While you run... look around! Might get a lot of useful things done if you pay attention ;)

Rush through ESO = fail player/noob/ADHD

If you just run without paying attention or doing anything while running you will have a bad time in ANY game.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by jazz.be
    From what I've seen, there aren't even that many wandering mobs.

You were either standing in the water or following the masses around weren't you?  

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It's only a grind if you don't have fun doing it.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by MMOredfalcon
    Saying there is no grinding in ESO is a joke. There is just as much ginding in ESO as WoW, Tera, or SWTOR or any other mainstream MMORPG.  It may be differently done, as many have stated...alot more running around and alot more talking to NPCs. But it is still a  grind.  Grind is part of the genre, why would the OP even make such a silly claim is either a complete Fanboy or has not played the game.

I find alot of questing in ESO just felt like grinding to me. But that is because there is generally only one or two ways to go about completing a quest. And then once I have it done theres generally always 20+ people doing the exact same quest as I just did / am doing.

The genre really needs to move on and evolve the quests. But that requires the AI on MMO's to improve way above what it is.

It's generally not a hard thing to make a game world feel really dynamic / ever changing. All you need to do is make a system so that AI's can react to what is going on around them. Give mob's objectives and things to accoumplish besides just being a mob that spawns and stands there in one spot.

Everquest Next is trying to expand on the system by not having mobs that just spawn in one spot and stand there. A mob enters the world with a purpose and has different goals it wants to accoumplish. Some mobs will geather together to accoumplish there goals while others will try it alone. There not just scripted events of spawn move to x spot then y spot and so on. They are given a form of intellegence where they have needs / wants / dislikes.

• Uh .... yeah ... sure .... no grinding.

Hey, I am in the market for a bridge.  You wouldn't happen to be selling one would you?

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688
    Originally posted by MoLoK_

Doesn't feel like a grind.

Feels like a running simulator.  Doing errands for NPC's.

While you run... look around! Might get a lot of useful things done if you pay attention ;)

Rush through ESO = fail player/noob/ADHD

If you just run without paying attention or doing anything while running you will have a bad time in ANY game.

Yeah, i may stumble across even more quests that require... more walking! Ok, i may be exaggerating a little, there were some half interesting quests here and there but boy oh boy they few and far between (at least in the starting area's i played).

Or you know, rush through PVE = PVP player? Or maybe someone who has no interest in reading poorly written dialogue that has little impact on me and even less on the game world. Yes, i paid attention to the main quests, but after a while i found the side quests were generally just retakes on your generic/cliche crap we've all seen and done hundreds of time before.

And i've made it through plenty of MMO's without having to do 360's every few seconds to keep myself entertained (hell, i even made it through neverwinter and that was as generic as they come!), but hey, thanks for your concern!

But as it's been pointed out, things may pick up at later levels... and there's always PVP.

And by played i mean... witnessed in youtube video's. On full screen in HQ it really felt like i was actually playing the beta myself!!!

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Tried crafting and gathering? And how does one progress in skill... oh right, by using it... which means... grinding.

What a blatant and obvious lie! Eso is as grindy as any mmo out there.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239

What I don't get is that the quests are, quite literally, in the same vein as Skyrim quests. And by that, I mean the majority of the story quests as the radiant ones were even "worse." But since ESO is an MMO, suddenly the same questing system no one really complained about in Skyrim is terribad.

Not like they were trying to reinvent the wheel here. From "kill this one guy...and incidentally everyone on the way to him unless you sneak" to "steal this thing and bring it back" to "protect winterhold! kill 10 magical anomalies" in Skyrim, which direction did you think ESO would go in?

Like...seriously.

Call me confuzzled.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

hahahahahaha, good one OP...

just to get this straight, running around in circles talking to NPC's for hour upon hour and not fighting any monsters AT ALL in the interim isn't grinding? (all discussed by numerous sources from press event, namely angry joe for reference and non NDA-break)

what the hell is?

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

'No grinding' isn't a new era .. That's just another softening of what an mmorpg is, turning it from the game where you had to earn to the game you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

Mmorpgs used to be a niche genre where you, yes would do quest after quest, gather resource after resource to level and to grow stronger. The journey wasn't done in hours or a few days. You made friends as they were needed to survive, you died and and you were NOT a happy bunny as it mattered to you. In UO that run back as a ghost sucked but it thought you to be careful, people would group up and hunt down the bandits, admittedly sometimes a bit to eager sort of anti pk pk'rs lol

What would be a new era would be if they slowed down levelling, no compass guides/clues and open pvp between the factions, no safety net